New Elephant eared betta are mirrors a good idea?

Tracy13

Hi, really new to this so please bear with me!
I was looking at things to keep my betta, Trevor, happy. Toys etc. I saw on a shopping page that you can get mirrors for them. I’m not sure if this is a good idea as I don’t want him to get upset/stressed when seeing his reflection? Does anyone have any advice for me on this please?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Ghelfaire

Don't keep it up all the time. Occasionally playing with him and thr mirror is fine, he'll just flare at it, but I'f you keep it up permanently it can damage his beard.

Fisch

Main thing with mirrors us that he will get stressed, so some people use it to 'exercise' the Betta fins and flaring for a couple of minutes a day.
Seeing my Betta flaring against the glass when the light is on and darkness surrounding the tank, a mirror may not be necessary.

Rose of Sharon

I wouldn't get a mirror, either. All of the bettas that I have ever owned have had no problem flaring at all. They don't need a mirror to do that! :)

Look at a floating betta log. My guy loves his, and it helps to keep him occupied. But you never really know what they are going to like and what they are going to ignore.

My bettas also enjoy air stones, and playing in the bubbles. You don't have to keep it on all of the time as it will blow them around. Just use it enough to keep him interested.

I have never had a betta play with a ping pong ball, but you will find that recommendation on a lot of betta sites.

ValkyrieLips

I also wouldn't get the mirror. Imo the best thing you can do to keep him happy is to provide him with an enriching environment full of live/silk plants and things he can explore. Floating betta logs, sinking logs, caves are good options too. A mistake I see a lot is people keeping bettas in tanks with too much open space and not enough hiding spots/things to for them to explore.

BlackOsprey

A mirror for just a minute should be fine. Some people think it stresses them, but territorial displays are pretty ordinary for bettas, and I doubt they stay distressed after their "challenger" runs away after some intimidation.

If you want to keep your betta stimulated, give it lots of live or silk plants to patrol around or wriggle through. A small cave can be appreciated too. Several of my past bettas liked to curl up and sleep in those decorations that look like balinese lanterns. Most bettas will also go nuts for frozen-thawed bloodworms, live baby brine shrimp, or live black or white worms.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
vividarling
  • Question
Replies
Views
bettamom327
  • Question