New Eheim 2213 Canister Filter

sunnyberra
I just set up a new canister filter (eheim 2213) on my 20 gallon long planted shrimp tank (housing 2 amanos and some cherries). I have the older filter (AC 110) running on it simultaneously.

The amanos have lived in the tank for 2+ years, the cherries for about 1.

I can't seed the new filter with old media. That in mind, how long do I run both filters until the canister is good to support the bioload? I have all the media it came with in it, minus the carbon. I was thinking 4 weeks, but if it could be shorter, that would be great, as I can really have my lid down OR place the canister outlet where I want it until the HOB is removed.

Reason I want HOB off is that I can't get it to stay level, and it will spill water out of the back on occasion. It's braced now, and I do keep an eye on it.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions welcome!

AquaticJ
Why can’t you use seeded media?

sunnyberra
I have 2 ac sponges and a handful of seachem bio media in my old filter, so I didn't think I could? I have a prefilter sponge on the intake, and I also have filter media draped over outlet on ac to modulate the flow or the cherries get blown around. But that's about it.

75g Discus Tank
I have 2 ac sponges and a handful of seachem bio media in my old filter, so I didn't think I could? I have a prefilter sponge on the intake, and I also have filter media draped over outlet on ac to modulate the flow or the cherries get blown around. But that's about it.
Just cut the media into small strips and stuff it in the canister.

AquaticJ
The two sponges and bio media can be put in the new filter wherever you can fit it.

sunnyberra
Thanks for the input. So I can cut up The prefilter, sponge and the filter pad and stuff it along with seachem bio media into the canister and chuck the hob? I just want to make sure I have it right before doing anything as it took me a long time to get this tank right for my shrimp to be successful.

AquaticJ
Yes, but don't chuck the old filter, send it to me

sunnyberra
If you want it you can have it, lol!

finnipper59
When you remove the media, with some tank water in tho hob asap, use your finger to rub the slime off the inside of the hob and pour tha water in your tank near the intake of the new filter. It will be loaded with BB.
I just set up a new canister filter (eheim 2213) on my 20 gallon long planted shrimp tank (housing 2 amanos and some cherries). I have the older filter (AC 110) running on it simultaneously.

The amanos have lived in the tank for 2+ years, the cherries for about 1.

I can't seed the new filter with old media. That in mind, how long do I run both filters until the canister is good to support the bioload? I have all the media it came with in it, minus the carbon. I was thinking 4 weeks, but if it could be shorter, that would be great, as I can really have my lid down OR place the canister outlet where I want it until the HOB is removed.

Reason I want HOB off is that I can't get it to stay level, and it will spill water out of the back on occasion. It's braced now, and I do keep an eye on it.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions welcome!
Thanks for the input. So I can cut up The prefilter, sponge and the filter pad and stuff it along with seachem bio media into the canister and chuck the hob? I just want to make sure I have it right before doing anything as it took me a long time to get this tank right for my shrimp to be successful.

AquaticJ
I personally wouldn’t, it’s gunna put nasty water in the tank lol. The pads are loaded themselves, so if you transfer them then you’re golden.

sunnyberra
Ok, so I stuffed as much as would fit into the canister, but it wasn't all of it. Is that ok? There wasn't much wriggle room. Wouls it do anything good to stick the left over media in the tank?

finnipper59
Ok, so I stuffed as much as would fit into the canister, but it wasn't all of it. Is that ok? There wasn't much wriggle room. Wouls it do anything good to stick the left over media in the tank?
Just put the leftover in a bag and save it for later or for something else. Good going.

sunnyberra
Great! Thanks for yoir help, everyone! Much appreciated!

AquaticJ
What piece or material couldn’t fit?

sunnyberra
What piece or material couldn’t fit?
Some of the batting and sponge

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Morpheus1967