new eggs

1. CAS512 Member Member

Hi everyone,

well I have babies!! :)
    not the firday just gone but the one before that, I did a water change as I was going away for a week and was due for one. everytime after I do a water change I always count my fish to make sure they're all there. Anyway, I was looking for my mumma bristlenose and looked under one of my sponge filters (that's where she usually is) and I saw this 1cm long baby bristlenose on the glass. I thought it was very weird cos I knew that the eggs i had previously had died. I went back around to the front of the tank and turned the torch on the little ceramic log thing i have and was so shcoked to see that it was half full of baby bristlenose. I was so excited when i saw them, cos I wasn't sure if they would like my water. But they did! :)

are weekly water changes good to do or should i do it more often?

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

con grats on the fry and eggs and yes it is good to do weekly water changes but mabey change it to one change every 2 weeks. hope everythinh goes well with the young ones

3. CAS512 Member Member

oh really? would the weekly ones be too bad for the fry?

4. kribensis keeper Member Member

no they would not be bad for the fry as high amounts of toxins can kill them but as they get older then go to the one water change every 2 weeks

5. jana Member Member

congrats on the fry! can't wait for :photo:

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Cas and congrats on the Pleco fry! I know you have to be excited. I do my water changes every 6 days. Keep an eye on your water chemistry readings. Don't forget the pH levels too. pH drops over time and it may drop too low if you wait two weeks to do your water changes. However, every 2 weeks does work well for some members. Just wanted to caution you:)
    Enjoy your new babies!
    Ken

7. Aldric Member Member

yayyyyyy congrats on the babies!!!!

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on the fry!!! Fry are really sensitive to water parameters and since they will need an abundance of food available to them all the time for at least the next month they will need more frequent water changes as well(more food = more waste). I would suggest twice a week water changes and still keep an eye on water parameters.
    Zicchini or Cucumber are both good choices.
    Is your aquarium info up to date? Are there any fish in the tank big enough/aggressive enough to eat/hurt them?
    When you can get them pics would be cool. If you use the search at the top of the page there's lots of information and pics of BN fry.
    Good luck!
    Carol

9. click Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the fry. Who said plecos are hard to breed? :animal0028:

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations on the fry! That's so awesome!

11. CAS512 Member Member

:) Thanks everyone, I am so happy to have the fry. I was so excited when i found them!
    Buttefly - I have noticed that there is more waste in the tank and I was under the impression that I had to do weekly water changes, I would like to do 2 per week as I hate a dirty tank. I will definitely keep an eye on my perimeters though, i don't want to have any deaths :(.
    I don't think that I have updated my perimeter readings on my profile, but I will do that tonight and try to get some pics for you all to see. The babies are still small (about 1cm) and they're very very quick so it's hard to get a good look at them, but I will try my best.

Just letting you know that I have 2 Scissortails, 2 black neon tetras, a yo yo loach and 2 bristlenose. Do you think that the Loach would try to eat the babies?

12. CAS512 Member Member

Just want to let you all know, that i've lost my Dad bristlenose :'(
    i found him this arvo near the filter with a couple spots of foamy stuff on him and he was really, really bloated. do you think he ate his babies?

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Oh no Cas. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost him. He may have eaten the fry it's hard to say. Fry and eggs are always a tasty treat to any fish. Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    Ken

14. CAS512 Member Member

i'm in the middle of doing a water change. should i still do the readings now?

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hey Cas. Go ahead with your water change. :) and you can post them when you're done.
    Ken

16. CAS512 Member Member

ok will do. I was told to just slowly put water back in the tank cos of the babies. is this right?

17. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Cas try to match the temperature of the new water to the water in the tank. This will help prevent stress and disease. Add your chlorine remover first, before adding it to the tank. Too, it would be a good idea to check your pH levels of your tap and your tank before adding the new water. They should be close together as well. If your new water pH is lower than what is in the tank then there could be problems. Go slowly adding the new water.
    Ken

18. CAS512 Member Member

Just checked the ph of the tap water and it's the same as my tank water, 7.4. i've been adding water for the past hour. almost done

19. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds good! :)
    Ken

20. CAS512 Member Member

how long after the water change should i wait to test the perimeters?