New Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

urimage
I have just put 8 dwarf neon rainbow in my 56gal tank. I know they are schooling fish. I have 4 male and 4 female. 3 of them are chasing each other try to nip tales every 5 min or so. Between the chasing and nipping, every thing is peaceful. I kown I should have a ratio of 1 male to 2 female. If the 8 is all I can find, does anybody feels that the 1 to 1 ratio wound cause a problem.

catsma_97504
Welcome to Fishlore. I have always heard at least 2 females for every male, but others with more experience with these fish could verify this.

Thread moved to Freshwater Fish Forums/Rainbowfish forum.

urimage
Thanks I will wait

Three of them kind of chase each other for appox 20 sec each time and stop. After 5min they would chase again. There is one male that chase the most. The other two seems to be the one get chased. They open their mouth try to nip but there was not really any fin damage I can see. They had only been in there for 1 day at this point. I had been keeping an eye on them. They kind of break into 2 schools most of the time. 1 or 2 would be alone on the other side of the tank. But, they all become 1 big school after sun set. Other than that they seem ok.

Jaysee
You have to give the fish time to settle in to their new home

urimage
Now after a couple days. They have settled and things have come down a lot. Do you think this is fine or I have to find more females? Just don't know if I can find them any more. Also, will I be able to keep gold gourami and yellow lab cichlid with them? I head yellow lab are not aggressive with other fish unless they are male of their own kind. but can not be feed too much protines and must feed fresh veg.

Thank for the help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kaleen
Replies
Views
vikingkirken
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies