Question New dwarf gourami - is this normal?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys...

I went and got a neon blue dwarf gourami today from the same Aquatics store as I've purchased all my other fish. Thankfully, although I took a risk, the paradise fish (Reggie!) seems to be pretty happy that he's got a new tank mate and has left him alone after their face to face staring competition. Reggie did something rather odd and tilted right on his side whilst staring at the DG and then swam off :-/

ANYWAY....since around 9pm...my new DG has been swimming frantically from side to side of the tank. A little like tigers pace back and forth in the zoo?! Is this ok? I did a 25% water change yesterday and added the recommended amount of aqua safe etc..before his arrival. The rest of his tank mates seem perfectly fine but he's darting around like a crazy dude...

I've switched the lights off to see of this would calm him down but 2 hrs later ad he's still doing it.

Any idea why this is happening and is he ok?! No other tank mates are bothering him at all.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Krissy x

OP
K

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just to add....I'm only concerned due to all others I've bought have taken a while to settle and Ive read they can be really quite shy...obviously this doesn't seem the case at all?! I have plenty of plants and ornaments for him to use as hiding places but he doesn't seem interested.

X

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From my limited experience, it's not unusual for DG's to do laps.
He could just be a bit stressed from his new surroundings and tank mates.

OP
K

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is there anything else I can do or get for him to bring his stress levels down? It probably didn't help when I gave the tank a quick swipe with the net to collect the leftover bloodworms but this was literally for 1 minute!! I'm hoping the little guy will chill out soon. Getting a little worried about him!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He should calm down on his own. Maybe turn the lights off for a little while, see if he'll settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom