New Dwarf Cichlids.. plz help ID? - Page 2

capekate

haha.. Allie and Shawnie...
yep.. wouldnt want to see you loose your last dollar on that bet! haha..
gawd... stupid fishstore is right! grrrr.....
Gets me so mad, when the employee says.." ohh nooo way is that a JD juvie". hmmmmmphhh.... ooh yes it is! How many people gotta knock me over the head with this fishs ID? before I get it! guess it was cuz I really didnt want to believe it! lol...
Now my problem to solve is this...
I really really do feel bad about having to bring these fish back! I have gotten attached to this lil ole JD and the firemouth cichlid as well. The other juvI is a steel blue apisto btw. Soooo... Do I just keep these three and forget about getting the GBRs and Bolivians that I want?
or: return them.. and go with the original plan?
I have in the tank now, three rainbows.. one angelfish and three cardinal tetras. I realize that when the JD gets bigger the cardinals will be in trouble. Not sure about the angel fish... the rainbows I can move, because already this baby JD was caught chasing one of the rainbows and its a lot bigger than the JD!
If I keep them, I know that I will not be able to keep any other fish in the tank... I do like the idea of some 'big' fish.. but..... I dunnoooooo decisions .. decisions... what to do?

Shawnie

haha.. Allie and Shawnie...
yep.. wouldnt want to see you loose your last dollar on that bet! haha..
gawd... stupid fishstore is right! grrrr.....
Gets me so mad, when the employee says.." ohh nooo way is that a JD juvie". hmmmmmphhh.... ooh yes it is! How many people gotta knock me over the head with this fishs ID? before I get it! guess it was cuz I really didnt want to believe it! lol...
Now my problem to solve is this...
I really really do feel bad about having to bring these fish back! I have gotten attached to this lil ole JD and the firemouth cichlid as well. The other juvI is a steel blue apisto btw. Soooo... Do I just keep these three and forget about getting the GBRs and Bolivians that I want?
or: return them.. and go with the original plan?
I have in the tank now, three rainbows.. one angelfish and three cardinal tetras. I realize that when the JD gets bigger the cardinals will be in trouble. Not sure about the angel fish... the rainbows I can move, because already this baby JD was caught chasing one of the rainbows and its a lot bigger than the JD!
If I keep them, I know that I will not be able to keep any other fish in the tank... I do like the idea of some 'big' fish.. but..... I dunnoooooo decisions .. decisions... what to do?

My jd's are in with big fish..oscars and silver dollars...now and then I do get some feeders for them, and they eat them..so yes you are right you wouldnt be able to keep smaller fish with them as they grow...I love the big cichlids so you know what id say ...but you did have your hope on the GBR's n Bolivians..so maybe another tank?? heheheheheh...still love that jd vid..hes a handsome thing as a juvi..cant imagine the colors as an adult that will pop out!....goodluck !

Allie

If you have had your heart set on the Bolivian Rams then get them. Unless you have room for another tank for the JD & Firemouth. The steel blue apisto would be fine with the Bolivians.

capekate

My jd's are in with big fish..oscars and silver dollars...now and then I do get some feeders for them, and they eat them..so yes you are right you wouldnt be able to keep smaller fish with them as they grow...I love the big cichlids so you know what id say ...but you did have your hope on the GBR's n Bolivians..so maybe another tank?? heheheheheh...still love that jd vid..hes a handsome thing as a juvi..cant imagine the colors as an adult that will pop out!....goodluck !

Ohhh surrrrre tempt me with telling me how handsome he's going to be when he is an adult!
well, I just moved my rainbows to the 29 gallon tank. No since having him stress them out. hmmmm silver dollars too eh? My husband really likes thos as well as the oscar, but I told him before Nooo way on an oscar, not for the 55g. Its too small. I guess I can always use one of my 29 gallon tanks for the GBRs and Bolivians hmmmmm.... will have to think this one out some more!

Shawnie

MTS is on the rise!

capekate

LOL....
MTS doesn't count when you already have the tank set up and in use.. lol, I would just be adding the D.Cichlids to a different tank than planned. Just have to figure out how to move everyone around and make them all happy.
I had to separate my two angels due to fighting.. and had to separate the two Discus due to fighting. Sooo in one 29 gallon tank is a lone Discus, that is not very happy with no other tank mates. The other 29 gallon tank has a Discus and an Angel that seem for the most part to get along. That is where I just added the rainbows from the 55g. I could add the GBR and Bolivians to the 29 gallon with the lone Discus in it...
But I think that its going to come down to how I feel about it on friday whether I'm bringing these back to the fishstore and get the d. cichlids like I planned on. Just have to think about it for awhile more... and weigh all the options. <sigh...> :-\

CapeKateskid

come on mom u can't bring those poor little fishes back to the store...:'( u know u don't REALLY want to...do u?? get another tank!! tell dad I said :;bb heheheeeee one more tank in the kitchen would be nice

Shawnie

I like kateskid very much! I so can see her giving the puppy dog eyes

capekate

I like kateskid very much! I so can see her giving the puppy dog eyes

come on mom u can't bring those poor little fishes back to the store...:'( u know u don't REALLY want to...do u?? get another tank!! tell dad I said :;bb heheheeeee one more tank in the kitchen would be nice

Welllllll dad said... NOOOOO more tanks! LOL and I have to agree, I have too much work as it is with the six I have running now.
OF Course I DONT want to bring them back.. I feel very bad about it. BUT already the JD has gone after the huge angelfish.. which is kinda funny, seeing this little JD think he is king of the tank. (One reason why I moved the rainbows). He doesn't really do anything, but the Angel does not like it one bit and really throws a tantrum lol.. when he comes near her.
I'm going to keep the steel blue apisto and maybe the firemouth cichlid, I hear they are peaceful towards other species... maybe Allie can let me know, if she reads this. But so far I have decided that I have to bring him back.. and probably the firemouth and get the d.cichlids like I wanted to.
:-\
Yes, Shawnie.. and she has such HUGE puppy dog eyes too! lol...

Shawnie

I agree...you don't wanna loose any fish to keep him...LOL @ huge puppy dog eyes

Allie

Welllllll dad said... NOOOOO more tanks! LOL and I have to agree, I have too much work as it is with the six I have running now.
OF Course I DONT want to bring them back.. I feel very bad about it. BUT already the JD has gone after the huge angelfish.. which is kinda funny, seeing this little JD think he is king of the tank. (One reason why I moved the rainbows). He doesn't really do anything, but the Angel does not like it one bit and really throws a tantrum lol.. when he comes near her.
I'm going to keep the steel blue apisto and maybe the firemouth cichlid, I hear they are peaceful towards other species... maybe Allie can let me know, if she reads this. But so far I have decided that I have to bring him back.. and probably the firemouth and get the d.cichlids like I wanted to.
:-\
Yes, Shawnie.. and she has such HUGE puppy dog eyes too! lol...
Firemouths do get aggressive when breeding, but since there is only one, you could try it out. The ones we had were really aggressive, so I know I'll never keep em again.
Yes you can keep the apisto, which is good. He so cute. ;D

JDs remind me of the ugly shirts in the 70s. Disco fever. O0

Tom

Only 6 tanks? That's nothing. I have 8 betta tanks alone, not to mention my 36, 37, SW, lobster, q-tank, and newt.
Tom

capekate

Only 6 tanks? That's nothing. I have 8 betta tanks alone, not to mention my 36, 37, SW, lobster, q-tank, and newt.
Tom

.. my six tanks are enough for me ...

Tom

.. my six tanks are enough for me ...

But you must let that bug bite you and make you get more tanks with more fish. I like the way your daughter thinks. >
Tom

CapeKateskid

yeah I guess I do have big eyes huh? or are u saying I have a big head that hold my big eyes??? hahahahahaaa well your birthday is coming up dear mother and just maybe there will be a tank in your future..u KNOW dad won't make u give it back >

capekate

yeah I guess I do have big eyes huh? or are u saying I have a big head that hold my big eyes??? hahahahahaaa well your birthday is coming up dear mother and just maybe there will be a tank in your future..u KNOW dad won't make u give it back >

Marc

That's an Apistogramma Borelli, like Tom said. It's one of the few apistos that are raised on farms for wholesale.

capekate

That's an Apistogramma Borelli, like Tom said. It's one of the few apistos that are raised on farms for wholesale.
HI Mark
I'm not really sure that is the Borelli, one store employee thought it may be a hybrid of the BorellI tho..
Here are a few better photos for IDing. I really wish I can tell for sure what it is. It is an aggressive little fish tho...

Marc

It is definitely a Borelli. As I said, it is one of the few Apistos that are farmed and they are fairly unique among Apistos.

capekate

HI Marc
that's for that. Now I have another photo of a apisto that I bought from the same place, and same tank, but another delivery time. Is this a more mature borellii? It looks like a german blue, but is much smaller and does not have the blue that my other GBRs had, the coloring is actually more yellow with pinkish hues on the body and a clear turqouis dot on its side. What do you think?

Marc

It is a German Blue Ram. No doubt about it. Probably a female.

Butterfly

It is a German Blue Ram. No doubt about it. Probably a female.
Yep I agree. that little of pink/purple on it's belly gives it away as a female.
Carol

capekate

Thanks Marc and Butterfly for the ID!
I suspected it was a female. I had a few male GBRs but never a female. I noticed that the black first rays are even with the rest of the dorsal fin, as described to be a female. I'm happy to know that it is in fact a GBR, as I always loved them. Now I have to find a male for her, but its going to be awhile til I get the tank perimeters back up where they should be due to a minI cycle I'm going through at the moment.
I have two male Bolivians in the tank with her is there any chance that they may breed together? I hope not...
thanks so much for your help! ~ kate

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views
Bwood22