New Driftwood

1. N

Nathan wu New Member Member

what do you have to look out for when you put a new piece of driftwood in your tank? If you don't cure a driftwood good enough, do your fish start acting weird? I just put it in my turtle tank and I'm nervous.

2. Wet Pets

Wet Pets New Member Member

Nothing to worry about , the only thing is the water may get discolored, but you can fix that with a water change , subscribe to my new you tube channel WET PETS if you like and i will answer any other questions in the comment section,

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Boiling new driftwood is common for fish keepers to do.

However; if you don't boil it, the wood may start to develop a white fungus growth around it. Not to worry, the fungus isn't harmful, just not very appealing to the eye.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The fungus can appear even if you boil it. Though I wouldn't boil wood - it can burst the fibers and cause it to rot faster.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Ah, alright. I currently have my driftwood out of the water, and it's drying right now.

6. OP
    OP
    N

Nathan wu New Member Member

I didn't boil mine. I found it outside and soaked for 2 weeks but not sure if it's enough.

7. MelPaulATL

MelPaulATL Valued Member Member

I just soaked mine. Tank had the "tannin look" but I have rams, they have done well. It did, I think get a film or coating, but time and the pleco fixed that.

8. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I buy mine put it in a bucket and use water from the kettle to fill the bucket and then once its cooled down empty and do it again and repeat until the cool water you pour away runs clear. This worked for my mopani in about two days but with my moorewood root it took about 14 days for it to stop producing that slime.