New Driftwood Question

trinity28

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am setting up some new tanks and just got some driftwood pieces for them. A few of the pieces are at least a foot long and one in particular is about two feet long. Does anyone have any tips for getting them waterlogged so they don’t float? I was able bury a few under substrate but the others are either too big or too strong. I would have boiled them but I don’t have pots that large. What can I do to get them to sink? Right now they’re just floating on top of the tanks.

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Boiling will help it become waterlogged, maybe you could boil half of it and then flip it over?
- You could try tying it down with fish line to rocks/heavy decor.
- You could put small holes into ceramic tile pieces and zip tie it down where the ceramic is covered by the substrate.
- You could get a bucket/garbage can if necessary and put weight on the wood to keep it submerged. Hot water may help. This will take a while though.
- I don't suggest this personally, but I have a friend who put it in the dishwasher with no soap and swore it worked...

Eventually, the driftwood will sink, it can take a while though. Best of luck!

trinity28

Valued Member
Reaction score
O
Matthew7812 said:
Boiling will help it become waterlogged, maybe you could boil half of it and then flip it over?
- You could try tying it down with fish line to rocks/heavy decor.
- You could put small holes into ceramic tile pieces and zip tie it down where the ceramic is covered by the substrate.
- You could get a bucket/garbage can if necessary and put weight on the wood to keep it submerged. Hot water may help. This will take a while though.
- I don't suggest this personally, but I have a friend who put it in the dishwasher with no soap and swore it worked...

Eventually, the driftwood will sink, it can take a while though. Best of luck!
Ok thanks for your suggestions!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rinse them off with some boiling water and Let them float till they sink then arrange them how you want them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom