New driftwood fungus?

BettaFishObsessed

Okay, so disclaimer: I know about how driftwood gets a little bit of clear fungus when you first get it. I researched it when I first noticed it and found out it’s normal

so my driftwood has that normal, clear slime-like fungus that driftwood will get when you first add it to the tank. I added driftwood to my tank 3 weeks ago and I figured Id just leave it alone since I didn’t mind to look. But it is getting grossly out of control, i tried to grow plants on the driftwood and it legit ate them but I figured it was normal, and now it is probably 1 inch+ thick in most places and black. I wiped it off for a little but I started having to do it twice a day to keep it less than an inch thick and gave up, which is when it started turning black. It also has started coating the sides of my tank and forming a layer on top. Is this normal? Am I overreacting or is this a problem? Is it safe for my fish? Should I just chuck out the driftwood? Is there a fungus killer I can buy?

Attachments

kaquatics84

BettaFishObsessed said:
Okay, so disclaimer: I know about how driftwood gets a little bit of clear fungus when you first get it. I researched it when I first noticed it and found out it’s normal

so my driftwood has that normal, clear slime-like fungus that driftwood will get when you first add it to the tank. I added driftwood to my tank 3 weeks ago and I figured Id just leave it alone since I didn’t mind to look. But it is getting grossly out of control, i tried to grow plants on the driftwood and it legit ate them but I figured it was normal, and now it is probably 1 inch+ thick in most places and black. I wiped it off for a little but I started having to do it twice a day to keep it less than an inch thick and gave up, which is when it started turning black. It also has started coating the sides of my tank and forming a layer on top. Is this normal? Am I overreacting or is this a problem? Is it safe for my fish? Should I just chuck out the driftwood? Is there a fungus killer I can buy?
Hey! So I have had a cousin who has had driftwood in his tank before and he said it is fungus that does appear on driftwood or any type of wood such as spider wood, but it will go down in about 2 weeks.

Also about it growing on the sides of the tank, my cousin did say he has never experienced that happening before so he doesn’t have any experience with it growing on the sides or creating some sort of top layer.

AquaticQueen

BettaFishObsessed said:

This is a very common thing. That stuff is driftwood slime. It is a fungus that grows on driftwood when there is lots of BB in the tank. It will go away after a few weeks. It's completely harmless.

Also, if you have any shrimp or snails in the tank they will happily eat it.

BettaFishObsessed

Okay, thanks I thought it was safe but I just wanted to double check since Ive had this before but I have never had it turn black or become bad enough to grow on the glass or stay around for almost a month, its usually two weeks

Top Bottom