New DLSR camera=pretty good shots of Mr. Squiggles and Magikarp! 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by rmarkham, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rmarkham

rmarkham Well Known Member Member

I got a new camera and while I'm trying to learn how to use it I've managed to take a few good pictures of my 2 betta fish, Mr Squiggles and Magikarp! I wanted to share with my fellow fishlorians

Mr. Squiggles, the man, the fish, the legend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the shy, quick Magikarp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still haven't bought a macro lens.... I'll get one in a few weeks and overload you guys with more pictures!

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thats without the macro lens!?!?! Really nice pictures! I have camera envy.

3. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

What camera did you get? :D

4. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

Nikon D5100 with a 18-55mm lens. I'm going to get a Tokina macro f100 2.8 in a week or two... I'm quite excited about it.

Fish are not the easiest thing to photograph... geckos are MUCH easier :)

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

MMMMMM Nikon..... lol I love my Nikon, you did a great job with those pics!

As for a Macro lens I highly recomend the 105 VR or for a little less money but also a little less quality the 60mm. then again there is also the 85mm which is a really nice lens lol.

Hey your only over in malden!

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Those are amazing pictures. And Mr. Squiggles is definitely not camera shy :).

7. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

Very nice photos!!

8. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I've been oogeling over the Nikon Coolpic P500, granted I know nothing about DSLR's, this'll be my first. Hope to get it before the spring :D Nice! Cant wait for more pics! :)

9. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

I don't know much either.... but it's a fun learning process! I will be taking so many more in the future :)

10. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Nice pics.

I also have a D5100, it's my backpacking DSLR. When I got a macro lens, I also chose the Tokina 100 F2.8. Great lens. For macro, VR isn't really useful, but it would be nice if you wanted to use your lens as a short telephoto. You are aware this lens won't autofocus on the 5100 right? Not a major drawback for macro, since you should manually focus that anyway.

You should get a tripod of some type. Even a small table top one would help. ANY camera shake is greatly magnified when shooting macro. Also, an electronic release helps to keep you from shaking the camera while pressing the shutter. They aren't very expensive.

Have fun with your new toy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice