New DIY 55 gallon canopy

1. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Over the long holiday weekend I decided that my current zoo med 36" light wasn't cutting it anymore. Sure it did a fine job on my old 37 gallon tank, but now with a 4' wide 55 gallon it didn't seem to reach all the tank the way I liked. So after hours of google searching I found a canopy design that I liked   and based mine off of that. The main change I made was using 1x6 for the surround instead of 1x4 like they did. I'm not a great wood worker but feel quite happy with my results.

Unfortunately I didn't take any in process pictures, but the link I added shows it pretty well. Inside I mounted a T8 shop light from Home Depot with a pair of 6500K 32w bulbs. And wow do the fish colors pop!

I'm thinking of adding another shop light inside on the hinged portion (probably a 24 or 36" size) for blue lights (moon light) and maybe also a 10000k bulb, but I'm open to better/easier ways to do that.

IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1824.JPG

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I like it. Well done!

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

You did all that in a 4 day weekend, nice.;)

Tank looks great too!

4. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Nice build!

5. OP
    OP
    aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Actually I did the build on Saturday, planned the couple days before, and rested Sunday :D

I was surprised how well the plants were doing with previous lamp as it was hanging about 8" above and didn't reach all over. They should do even better now, AND I can stop being blinded by having the light captured by the hood! ha

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Show off.:p