New DIY 55 gallon canopy

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by aquatic, Nov 26, 2012.

1. aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

Over the long holiday weekend I decided that my current zoo med 36" light wasn't cutting it anymore. Sure it did a fine job on my old 37 gallon tank, but now with a 4' wide 55 gallon it didn't seem to reach all the tank the way I liked. So after hours of google searching I found a canopy design that I liked   and based mine off of that. The main change I made was using 1x6 for the surround instead of 1x4 like they did. I'm not a great wood worker but feel quite happy with my results.

Unfortunately I didn't take any in process pictures, but the link I added shows it pretty well. Inside I mounted a T8 shop light from Home Depot with a pair of 6500K 32w bulbs. And wow do the fish colors pop!

I'm thinking of adding another shop light inside on the hinged portion (probably a 24 or 36" size) for blue lights (moon light) and maybe also a 10000k bulb, but I'm open to better/easier ways to do that.

IMG_1818.JPGIMG_1820.JPGIMG_1822.JPGIMG_1823.JPGIMG_1824.JPG

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I like it. Well done!

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

You did all that in a 4 day weekend, nice.;)

Tank looks great too!

4. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

Nice build!

5. OP
    OP
    aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

Actually I did the build on Saturday, planned the couple days before, and rested Sunday :D

I was surprised how well the plants were doing with previous lamp as it was hanging about 8" above and didn't reach all over. They should do even better now, AND I can stop being blinded by having the light captured by the hood! ha

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Show off.:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice