New divided tank- need some heater/filter advice

• Thread starter kippielynn
  • Start date

kippielynn

I just added my two males to a 20g divided aqueon long. I have the life with pets divider and am finding after the first night, I have two issues:) 1. my heater was not circulating the heat to the other side, even with ample circulation. I have a adjustable 50W (which maybe is the issue- too little watts?) for now, I added another 50W heater that turns off at 78 the cold side. 2. The one filter is too strong. I tried not to buy too many new things and use existing and I had an aqueon interrnal quietflow 10 but against the walls it created a semi-whirlpool on the side. I wanted a sponge on that side but the store didn't have one at the time, so I had my QT10 and then bought another internal 10 that is the waterfall and filters upt to 10g. Looking at the flow of the water, perhaps just moving my larger internal filter on the left to the corner would help? The heater in the middle may not be the best to circulate but the hood cut outs are not on the corners :/ Wondering if there are better fitler combos for a 20g divided? Maybe I just need one good filter and just air stone on the other side to help circulate and not a full filter?

So to summarize: do I need two heaters or should I get a larger watt one than 50W? Or is the fitler placement and type a way to achieve a better flow. I would think the strong current would have achieved this already but it did not. Lastly, better filters for this tank setup (below- don't judge, I will add live plants eventually and remove the silk ones; I want to focus on living fish for now :) TIA!
IMG_8611.jpg

Fishyyyyxoxo

Does your divider have holes in it?

kippielynn

Fishyyyyxoxo said:
Does your divider have holes in it?
Yep, it is this one. Has drilled holes.

1587133352512.png

Fishyyyyxoxo

kippielynn said:
Yep, it is this one. Has drilled holes.

1587133352512.png
I think it will be ok, I’m getting a divider for my fish tank and it has holes and I’m not going to get anymore heaters or filters. But I would get someone else as well for a second opinion

HannibalXavier

Figured I’d just reply to your question in this thread. Previously I had my tank divided into 4 sections and I used two heaters one on each end segment. I also used small sponge filters in each section. Now I have it only divided into 3 and I still use 2 heaters one on each of the ends. There’s is still a very slight temperature difference in the middle section since I don’t really have “water flowing” with the sponge filters I. I’d recommend putting your heaters semi close to the dividers, idk if it’d work for a betta bc the flow might be too strong but you could try putting one of the HOB filters on the left or right end of the tank so the water flows towards the divider. If you attempt it, id recommend it on the side that has the higher set heater.

Top Bottom