New Discus!

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by dezdude, Apr 17, 2010.

1. dezdude

dezdudeValued MemberMember

Hey guys, just got a new blue discus. The fish store bought a whole new batch of discus that were much younger than predicted so they were selling them for $15 each. I grabbed one that I thought looked pretty cool. It is still pretty small so I don't think my tank will be overcrowded for a while. Surprisingly it is not very shy and swims around the tank with my ram.

Sorry about the quality, my discus got a little stressed out from the camera which is why I think he looks so dark in the photo. I took a quick photo and left him alone afterwards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

3. OP
    OP
    dezdude

Thank you. My discus seems to be getting chased around everyonce in a while by the Ram. Is this something I should be concerned about? The discus is younger than the ram and is new to the tank. So maybe the ram is just trying to display some of its dominance?

4. joshua 74

joshua 74Valued MemberMember

i have blue rams in with my discus but they are very large discus so iv never had a problem. i do have baby discus but they are only about 3cm so id never dream of pouting other fish in with them how big is your new 1

5. OP
    OP
    dezdude

id say about 2- 2.5 inches? its not very big at all. take a look at the photo. that rock isnt very big, and the thing above the discus is the heater.

6. joshua 74

ow he is a very small baby i think the best thing will be 2 pout a divider in discus that size need 2 be stress free they can die very ez of fright. i would divide them for a week or 2 then let him loose just c if they get youst to each other make shore then can c each other threw the divider.

7. ifixoldhouses

ifixoldhousesValued MemberMember

Looks stunted to me, it need to be kept with other discus a minimum of 6 in a 55 gallon bare bottom tank with plenty of water changes for best results, also a hi quality diet, also its very rare to find a quality discus in a LFS.
    good luck with it:)

8. OP
    OP
    dezdude

So discus need a bare bottom tank? My room is getting remade, if i were to get a 100 gallon, how many discus, cardinals, and other fish can i put in there. what fish would go best with the discus

9. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

He is a cutie! I'm not an expert on Discus but my opinion is they are best for a species only tank as they require clean water and warmer temps then most tropical fish. Tank needs to be well established before introducing them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  10. joshua 74

It does take time 2 set up a discus tank I don’t think he is stunted just a baby. Its best to breed discus in a bare bottom tank but otherwise gravel is fine I think the best plants are valis. I have blue rams gold rams cardinals (3 angels not recommended) 3bristlnose and all up 7 discus all in a 200L tank. Discus like height in a tank they are best kept in a discus only tank but the more discus the better within reason. If u do add other fish quarantine them well.

11. ifixoldhouses

ifixoldhousesValued MemberMember

For best results when growing them out use BB, for a display tank use only adults, because of the messy food you have to feed them.

12. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I would discourage any but the medium-sized, very docile fish as "dither fish" as tankmates, such as some rasboras and tetras. Not all tetras, as somee can get very hyper.

For this combination, a 70 gallon tank with a small school of dithers and at least 6 discus is good. The tank needs to be very heavily planted, and the water has to be acidic and soft. And warm, up to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, which narrows the tankmates quite a bit.

Chocolate gouramis are often used as discus tankmates. Both fish are very very very very very very very very hard to care for, especially the chocolate gouramis, but any odd behaviour from them often alerts aquarists that there is something wrong with the water which may eventually kill both fish.

However, I would recommend gettingg a 55 gallon tank, either bare bottom or heavily planted, and cycle it completely. I cannot stress that enough. Discus are super-sensitive to any bits of ammonia and nitrite, and even nitrates can hurt them. Also, the water conditions have to be very stable.

The 100 gallon tank will make a very, very impressive display tank with maybe 6-7 discus, 10 cardinals and a small shoal of 5 or 6 corydoras will be nice. Maybe even scartch the cories, as it is always advisable to understock a discus tank due to the difficulty of keeping them.

13. OP
    OP
    dezdude

Thank you very much for your input! I was also having second thoughts...my parents pretty much are letting me get a tank anysize i want, as long as i pay for it.

Since discus are such hard fish to take care of. I was wondering if i could also do a 100 gallon oscar tank. I know that they two arent the easiest things to take care of, but atleast they arent super expensive. What is a good combo of oscars and other fish in a 100g

14. Slug

SlugWell Known MemberMember

I hate reading all this about discus being hard to keep. If you start right, there should be no reason for them to be hard. Don't believe everything you read. Trust me, they really arn't that hard. A little TLC goes a long way.

15. joshua 74

always trust slug he nose discus. I don’t think u can beat discus they are such a nice fish once your tank is set up its ez. i have oscers to i cannot really do mutch to the tank its just plane cravel and rocks coz they distroy everuthing lol but its fun watching them do it.:;saber

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  16. OP
    OP
    dezdude

haha, everyone on this site just scares me so much with how hard they say it is to take care of. I might not be making a right choice with having a discus with 6 cardinals, 3 corries, and a ram in a 20 gallon, but the fish seems fine, only hiding when i get too close to the tank.

What are the growth rates for this fish, and when will i NEED to get a bigger tank?

17. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Agreed. They aren't that hard to keep. I wish my first effort with juvies had been in a barebottom tank instead of a planted community. I agree with you completely, they aren't that hard to keep; one just has to be willing to meet their needs as juvies and not deviate from that. That's where I went wrong for sure.

Growth rate should be pretty quick if kept in a clean barebottom tank and fed often. Problem is, discus need a group to feel comfortable and that requires a larger tank than a 20 gallon.

18. OP
    OP
    dezdude

ya, I've heard that they need a group to feel comfortable, but this discus seems different....only for the first few days was it shy...it doesnt hide in the corners and swims with my ram. It already eats pellets and has only been in there for about 2 weeks now.

is this odd for a discus to act being the only discus in a tank?

19. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Couldn't tell you. My 4 discus were personable and seemed to do well in my 55 gallon community tank, until I realized months later that they weren't growing despite 50% water changes 4-5x per week and heavy feeding. ;)

20. joshua 74

i still think it would be best 2 get him atlest one other discus of the same size!