new Discus

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by 240gordy, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 240gordyNew MemberMember

Hey everyone I'm adding on to my 30 gal. tank with a couple of Discus. This will be my first time. I'm currently testing the water and adding things to the water to make sure its right. If anyone has any suggestions or any personal experience that would be great. I'm a begginer when it comes to Discus, so I'll take all the help I can get. Also wondering if there is a difference between the kinds of Discus behaviorly? If true what should I get?

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

240gordy I'm afraid your thirty gallon isn't going to be big enough for a pair of Discus. I would advise alot of research before you buy any. They are very sensitive to water quality and many Discus keepers do daily 50% water changes.
    Carol

3. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Discus need at least 50 gallons. They are really sensitive to water conditions as Butterfly said, and won't tolerate bad water conditions. You have to acclimatize them for a long time too, so they won't get sick and die from the shock of moving.

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

There is a good article on Discus in Mays edition of Aquarium Fish Magazine.
    Carol

5. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

You can also get excellent advice on all aspects of discus from folks who are fanatical about their discus at this site:

6. bmRboYValued MemberMember

30 gallons is okay.... if.... you're getting 1- 1 1/2 inch discus... I would strongly recommend you get at least 6 to 8... they will thrive in a 30 gallon... a bigger aquarium will just freak them out... just from experience... if you're getting an adult pair though... that's a different story... you need at least 50 gallons...

If you have previous FW experience.... it's basically the same... except constant water changes... i do 50% every 2 days...

There is no difference between different kinds of discus... in my experience... Always remember... in any tank... there will always be an alpha... betta... so on and so on... once they get their pecking order set... that's it... ofcourse the alphas will thrive....

Always go for 1. shape 2. check the eyes... they should be perfectly round with no chip 3. gill plates and lastly colour...

Hope this helps