New Discus

1. chuckb330 Initiate Member

Just picked up 3 small discus. Was wondering if a 10 gallon QT will be ok for them for about a week or so until they get moved to my 55 gallon. Any help would be great as these are my first discus fish.

Thanks
    Chuck

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

As long as you are able to keep the water clean, the time in a quarantine tank shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have fish in the 55?

3. chuckb330 Initiate Member

3 angelfish in there right now, but they're getting moved back to my 45 gallon soon

4. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Awesome, you need to post pics once they're settled in. I think they'll be fine in a 10 gallon tank if the waters super clean and they're small discus.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Is there anything stopping you from putting the angels in the 45 now? then you could just put the discus in the 55 for quarantine.

6. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Congrats on your new purchase Chuck, i would echo what Jaysee is asking, if the angels are headed to the 45 and you can move them now, i would go that route then just put the Discus in their new home right off the bat.
    as everyone has mentioned, clean, clean water. and were still waiting on those pictures.

7. chuckb330 Initiate Member

Pics to follow soon. So far the 3 discus have been hiding in the back of the tank near the filter intake. I didnt want to move them till I know they're gonna be a healthy. Did a small water change this morning, just trying to get them to eat. There only about 2inches long, mouth to tail, and recomendations on food for them?

Thanks again for all the help and comments
    Chuck

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

how small is a small water change?

9. chuckb330 Initiate Member

about 4 gallons. Im gonna do that daily

10. nitingdedao Member Member

I second to Disc61. Move the angels and shift the discus in to the main tank straight.

However why only 3 pieces?

Will be good if you can get a group of 6. Getting discus in small batches will mean to go through qurantine process and risk of stressing your already qurantined and stable current tank residents.

Always plan before hand;)

11. chuckb330 Initiate Member

Wasnt really planning on geting discus, saw them at a Petgoods store and they were really cheap(under $12each) couldnt pass that up. However there fish arent always the healthiest, that's why there not going in the main tank. Dont wanna spread anything to that tank, if things with the discus dont work out.
    Its been 2 days, they still dont seem to be eating, still looking for recomendations on any foods for them. If they dont work out, anyone know where I can get some good healthy discus at a reasonable price?

Chuck

12. nitingdedao Member Member

have they started to roam around the tank to explore? Theres only 3 pieces so they might take longer.

hmm 2 days is still okay in my opinion. I have a few batches that took up to 2 weeks to eat properly. Especially those I imported.

13. toosie Well Known Member Member

Discus need high protien food. Blackworm and bloodworm can be fed occasionally but stay away from tubifex worms. High protien pellets containing between 45 and 50% protein is a good staple food. Some people like to feed a beefheart mixture sometimes as well. Small juvenile Discus should be fed very small amounts (so as to not pollute the water) but several times per day.

VERY frequent water changes (daily is best) are also very important to prevent stunting and to provide pristine water conditions to prevent disease and to prevent the worms/beefheart, etc from spoiling the water.

14. chuckb330 Initiate Member

They roam around the tank at times, and also spend time hiding still. They also color up very nice at times, then they go back to a darker brownish color. Looks like they still are not eating, and if they are it is a very small amount.
    Still doing daily water changes of about 50%
    Hope they settle in soon, as I always wanted to keep discus

15. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Can't wait for pictures!

Are the angels the only fish in the 55? As said above, you could just move them now :)

16. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

they will settle in, patience is real important here. you are dealing with Juvies at 2 inches and daily water changes should go on for quite a while. fed 4-6 times a day in small amounts and if they don't eat it within the firat 1/2 hour i would vacuum it out. Prestine water conditions are the key with these guys, especially at their age. as nitingdedao mentioned above they could take several more days to begin feeling comfortable. keep us posted, and maybe consider 3 more, they are recommended to be in groups of 5-6.

17. toosie Well Known Member Member

What are your water parameters?

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Discus for under $12?? The cheapest I've ever seen them around here is $60, going as high as $80 and $120. That's crazy.

Best of luck with your new fish! Pictures soon? :)

19. Slug Well Known Member Member

What are you currently feeding them that they aren't eating? Are they looking thin or have sunken stomachs? It may take a while for them to actually eat, but I would not be worried unless they are thin or have sunken stomachs.

20. chuckb330 Initiate Member

Water parameters are 84 degrees, 7.0pH, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, trace of nitrate,daily water changes of about 60-75%. I see they are eating a lil, not to much though. Tried feeding them crushed up flake food, frozen bloodworms, even tried some small tetra pellets. They're average weight no sunken stomachs, but they dont keep their color, usually a brownish color. Once in a while they show nice color, then they loose it.