New Discus with one fin clamped (some times)

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok this is going to be long just to be up front now I am trying to provide as much info and to be as detailed about my set up and situation so you can help me the best and I answer any questions before you have them so I think I provided a ton of details about my system hopefully this should help you provide me with some help a bit easer than been realy vague sorry if its long.

Ok I just bought a new discus fish he/she is a silver pigeon blood very pretty fish. Well here is the problem I only had this fish two days and I failed to take a good look at him at my “guys” place and any way I noticed his one fin has a small tear in it like a small split it is one of the pelvic fins (the ones that stick out on the side) I think well I am wondering will this heal on its own? I am sure it happened in the tank he was in with his/her brother and sisters? Alse he keeps it clamped to the side of his body, not all the time but I noticed it was a bit clamped is this because it hurts him/her or is it just healing will it get better? The other fin is not clamped it moving about normaly and I have seen him move this fin and use it for swimming without difficulty as far as I can tell. The only other thing that scares me is hes not eating or not eating much any way. He is in the main tank now with the other 4 discus all juvis 3.5 to 4 inches I would guess. I know I did not doa proper QT with him/her I know but rite now I do not need a lecture, lol I jus want to know what you all think? He did come from a tank where there was a very thin layer of black sand in the tank. I have a BB and I wonder do you think he could just be stressed? And that’s why hes not eating and holding that fin? I will say this He is not dark in any way at allhe is very light colored and very pretty looking fish but I never had a problem getting my other ones to eat but for maybe the first day that’s it. I know also theyw ere not all added at the same time but they all come from the same guy and all from the same tanks he only has like 5 rite now but he really dos take care of them for a local guy he has done his home work and all my other four fish look and have been doing great so help me out here I do not want to use chemicals if I do not need ot. Oh and sense the breeder is close by the water parameters are almost the exact same as mine that one of the first things I checked 8 weeks agao when I bought my first one. I did try two 50% water changes to see if this would help but it did nothing.

My other ones eat from my hand rush up to the glass follow my finger and I could all but pet them at this point so I am noit sure whats going on here his eyes are not big his belly not swollen or sunken he looks normal by standards and my un trained eye but he looks like my other discus.

My water parameters are as follows ph 6.5, water temp 85.5f nitrites are at 0, ammonia 0 GH is 5 not know what my KH is and I do not check my nitrates because I do daily 40 – 50% water changes daily so they should not be an issue at all. Any help would be helpful thank you for all you can do thanks

I use a canister filter rated for 100 gallon tank mine is a 55 gallon with 5 total juvi discus my filter has nothing but filter floss and those ceramic rings for the BIO material my other ones are growing and doing well I think my water chemistry is great and the qulity is really good to I have been told I do not use carbon because of the possible link between it and hole in the head at least I had a heated debate about it in another forum so I just stoped using it anyw ay what do you all think I tried to be as detailed as I could be for you all to be able to help eaiser. I do have one floating plant and one fake plant on a fixed base to provide some cover and make them feel more comfortable when they feel they needed it I clean my filter once every 2 weeks so I have no idea what to do ir what it could be help me

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Should heal on its own. Its a good thing its that fin and not a gill being clamped shut, or the dorsal fin being clamped.

I'd give him time on the eating, probably still getting used to the place and the new friends. Just keep an eye on it.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dorsal fin is the one on the top correct? no its the one on his side but the other on on the other side is not clamped shut at all and I looked him/her over very very well and did not notice anything else. Just seems to be baby that fin a bit and not eating he is inspecting the food and showing interest in the blood worms but hes not actually taking them in. At what point to I begin to worry about this? I have a 14 gallon empty I can take the gravel out and set up as a hossp tank if need be, its got it own hood, heater, aqueon power filter and evrything I could fill it with water from the main tank but is it nesisary and is the 14 gallon big enough? I worry though would he be more stressed being moved into that tank? then he be all alone and then probably really not want to eat huh?
What would it mean if both fins were clamped out of curiosity trust me there not I am just wondering what it would mean?? or clamped gill what does that mean? or clamped dorsal fin whats that mean? sorry Slug you brought it up so I have to ask, lol. Iam trying to learn all that I can you know I really want to do good here. Thank you thank you

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clamped gills could mean gill flukes. Clamped dorsal fin is just a sign of something wrong with the fish. Either stress, or flukes, or internal parasites.

Is he showing interest just looking and thinking about making a move on them or actually taking them in and spitting them out?

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nope he is just looking at them very closely like he is tring to figure out what they are, I know for a fact its the same food he was geting so I have no idea what his deal is

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably just a new environment, i'd give him some time and see what happens.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He is still doing this and he looks at the food gets very close toits mouth but does not take it in I did notice that he hardly ever raises his dorsal fin and lots of the time he is standing in a head down position. I have no idea what this could be, and there are no other physical sypmtyms, no white patches or excess mucus or anything. So I think it could be internal what do I treat it for anything or wide spectrum or nothing at all and will it spread to my other fish what to do. I think it this point I owuld have to treat the whloe tank dont you?? help please thank you

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom