New Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by GDUBB0409, Jul 30, 2015.

1. G

GDUBB0409 New Member Member

So I finally got my new tank cycles and running, however since this is my first Discus tank I had a few questions.

My new tank information:

Size: 76 gallon bowfront
    Substrate: White aquarium sand (fine ROUND pebbles, no sharp edges), with 3 large pieces of driftwood and decorations
    Fish: 3 clown loaches (1in to 3 in), 3 roselines, 3 Koi Angelfish, 3 Discus (not sure on breed)

pH: 6.8-7.0
    Ammonia: Less than 0.25
    NitrITE: 0ppm
    NitrATE: Less than 5ppm
    Temp: 82 (have 2 thermometers and it is pretty constant on both sides of the tank, so no cold spots or temp gradients)
    Hardness unknown, but the driftwood should help with that.

My question concerns water changes for the discus. The 3 I have are adults and around 3-4" in diameter, about the size of a galaxy s6 screen (since its hard to physically measure them). I want to add some more discus because I have read everywhere that they do better in schools and it is roughly 10 gallon per discus. Since I have the other fish I think I would only add 2-3 more.

When it comes to water changes I have seen multiple options:

Option 1) 80% WC almost daily (I think thats for babies)
    Option 2 ) 50% WC once a week
    Option 3) Small water changes 2-3 times a week (10-20%)

I am wondering if the WC are to big if it will stress the loaches since they are scaleless?

The fish get fed flakes in the morning (LFS has some packed with vitamins and minerals)
    Then when I come home from work I feed them frozen bloodworms and beefhearts (I cant remember off the top of my head). The sand is prestine and the loaches do a of a job with the clean up after dinner haha.

I can upload a photo later today maybe. Also I have watched them (obviously) and there have been no fighting, outside of minor pecking from the discus on each other.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry I can't help much with the discus, but watch out for the angels. Usually 3 is a bad number to keep, as two might pair off and gang up on the third.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Just curious about what the measurements of the tank are front to back. At the widest point and the narrowest point.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    G

GDUBB0409 New Member Member

Its roughly 4 ft (49" wide) and I believe its 18-20 inches at its widest point, though I can't remember off the top of my head

5. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hmmmm, sorry it took so long (you know summer and all) let me see if I can assist a little bit.

First, 3-4 inch Discus are not Adults, Juvies more than likely. 3-4 inches should make them roughly 6 months old.
    Adults should be 6 inches and over a year old.

80% daily is recommended for juvies.
    50% once a week is more for adults.
    myself, for the size you have and the tank and tankmates I would do 3 times wkly minimum at least 40%, this size Discus needs many daily feedings (4-6 in small amounts) which will mean more water changes.

as for measuring Discus, not really tough at all, I measure all mine as I like to watch their growth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice