New discus tank

1. ikkoo Member Member

Hello people. My friend is giving me one of his tank. Will be going his house and measure the gallon. If it's big enough, I will keep discus in there. If not then other fishes. I have some questions hope anyone can answer.

Do discus fish really need lots of water change? What's the minimum days and percentage a week?

Is it OK to leave it barebottom and having a sick piece of driftwood? And I'm not going to have plants.

I'm having too many tetras in 12 gallon. Is it OK to put them into discus tank?

How long can discus survive without food?

-I'm going to cycle the tank before adding fish. The temperature here is perfect for having discus (27 to 31 without heater).

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Discus should be kept in groups, 5 being a nice number, so whether you can keep them really depends on the size of tank of tank that you will be getting.
    Discus are often kept in bare bottom tanks to aid in keeping the tank clean.
    Tetras might be a little too boisterous for a discus tank.
    Driftwood would be fine, but I would also suggest at least artificial plants, as they can be shy, and therefore do well with lots of cover.
    As with any fish, the more W/Cs the better, but especially so with discus, who depend on very clean water.
    Driftwood would be fine in the tank.
    Adult discus can go for a week or two without food, but as they are usually kept at relatively high temperatures, raising their metabolism, so they cannot be kept without food for as long as most tropical fish. All the best, rick

3. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Hi Ikkoo

Its good that you have expressed desire to keep discuess but also have in mind that juvies do require a lot of work and attention.

If you are getting adults i guess that with 2 feeds a day you can go for around 3 weekly water changes of at least 30%, as long as nitrates stay 20 and below.
    If juvies you have to feed 4-6 times a day to maximize growth and saying that you will need to do if not daily but every second day at least 50% wc to keep water clean.

Bare bottom is good as it helps to keep tank clean.

tetras are great discus tank mates so feel free to move them but make sure that you will have them in the main tank at least 6 weeks before adding any discus as you need to be 100% sure that tetras do not carry any parasite or bacterial infection with them before adding discuses. Otherwise its going to be very costly and time consuming lesson.

Even though adult discus can go up to 2 weeks without food i will not recommend dieting them unlless there is illness. There are cheap automatic feeders that can be programmed up to 90 days feeding intervals.

Having driftwood is benefitial for discuses and also have some plants attached would be even better as they would provide hiding spot and also good absorber for amonia nitrates in the tank

Try not to have temperature below 28 and having heater as a back up it wont hurt you

Good luck and keep us posted

4. fishlee Member Member

What kind of tetra are they. Just be shure they cant fit in the discus mouth. 2 x 50% a week should be the minimum weekly water changes. Tbh it should be atleast 3 especialy if you are growing them out and it also depends on how well you feed them and to keep the nitrates dow.

Ps they wont need cover is there is a few of them they prefer safety in numbers and its important to feed atleast 2-5 times a day for healthy growth using a variaty of flake pellet live and/or frozen. I find if they stop eating its hard to get them eating again so id suggest keep the food flowing

5. virusmk Well Known Member Member

I will have to disagree here with you fishlee
    As being part of cichlid family there is a lot of buling going around so having place to hide it is always benefitial

6. ikkoo Member Member

I'm having neon tetra in 12 gallon. Although they are cold water fish, they just do fine in current water 28 degree. I can't help further to lower the temperature. Unless getting chiller.
    I usually feed my neons flakes, micro pallets and brine shrimp. I was wondering if the foods are too small for discus?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Discuses can do well up to 32 not sure about neons

Youll have to get more varaeties like freezedried black worms beefheart thera a+ flakes brineshrimp is good as well

8. fishlee Member Member

I hhave hakari discus pellets and they only about 1-2mm discus have small mouths and tend to make foods smaller by spitting them out before eating as juvies

9. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Neons would not survive discus temperatures, where Cardinals would do well.
    About all tetras being at home with discus, I must disagree: Buenos Aires tets would shred them, vampire or bucktooth tets would eat them.
    What I worry over is more food competition from smaller tetras..-------rick