New Discus Swimming Poorly

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hey guys! Today I just got my new discus for my 75 gallon. The company screwed the pooch on what type of discus I wanted but is fine. One of the discus I got has been swimming rather floppy since I took him out of the bag. Is this just a stressed fish, and do you think he will get over it, or do you think he’s in healthy?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Any chance you can get him in a tank with a lower water level? The pressure in the bag is much less than a tank, and discus are more affected by this than other fish and it can cause them to go sideways. If not, he's probably just stressed.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
Any chance you can get him in a tank with a lower water level? The pressure in the bag is much less than a tank, and discus are more affected by this than other fish and it can cause them to go sideways. If not, he's probably just stressed.
What do you think would be worse? Leaving him in the tank, and letting him figure it out, or taking him to a smaller tank, and stressing him out more?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leave him in the tank. he'll upright himself eventually if it's from pressure, but lowering the water level is the best choice.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Katie13 said:
Leave him in the tank. he'll upright himself eventually if it's from pressure, but lowering the water level is the best choice.
Okay! Thanks for the advice I’m just hoping he makes it.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Katie13 said:
He seems to be swimming normally now, I kept him in a 2g bucket for a few hours in a dark room to avoid stress. Now he’s back in the tank, and schooling with the rest of the discus

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom