New Discus Shipment!

Slug

Here they are folks. From my good friend Kenny of Kenny's Discus in California. Same conclusion as always. #1 in customer service, excellent packing with no leaks at all still warm, and awesome fish. I've never seen fish this excited and...normal after overnight shipping across the country. Its almost like they just sleep the entire trip then are wide awake and playful when they get here in the morning.

They are settling in, but with the way they were acting I knew they were close to 0% stress so I snapped some pictures. Nothing fancy, just wanted to show you them literally 30mins-1hr after getting the box from the fedex man.

Inside a cardboard shipping box is a white styro cooler packed like a nest with bags! One big bag holds the smaller fish bags. Each fish was at LEAST quadruple bagged with a newspaper liner in one of them to transfer heat and soak up any water that might drip.

707.jpg

709.jpg

711.jpg

The aftermath

710.jpg

And this is what comes out. ;D

713.jpg

Slug

Here they are literally, 30mins-1hr after opening the cardboard box. The light ones are Albino Blue Diamond "throwbacks". Red ones are Flamingos.

715.jpg

717.jpg

716.jpg

719.jpg

721.jpg

723.jpg

Stick out in a crowd

722.jpg

brokenwing

wow slug they are some gorgeous fish. I wish my ph in this area was not so hi, I would love a discus tank. Keep up with the pics I love looking at your posts.

peacemaker92

They're GORGEOUS! Most probably from Malaysia right? haha When I look at your aftermath photo, it looks if you were so excited to open them you cut them out with a scissors What tank are you keeping them in?

lorabell

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!

Slug

Thanks all. Yes they originate in Malaysia from a guy named Forrest.

bolivianbaby

Wow, Matt!!! They are absolutely stunning!

navyscuba

Wow those are wonderful looking Discus.
You are getting into my head with the discus Slug.

Aquarist

Beautiful! I've never seen the Flamingos before.
Thanks for sharing Slug. I hope they are all doing well! Please keep us posted.
Ken

peacemaker92

Slug said:
Thanks all. Yes they originate in Malaysia from a guy named Forrest.
Hmm... Would you mind if you could pm me his contact? I feel like getting some too haha

Slug

Thanks all. Yes, yes....get into discus.

peacemaker92 said:
Hmm... Would you mind if you could pm me his contact? I feel like getting some too haha
I'll send you what I can, what I have. He is only Simply Discus too.

Couple more.

739.jpg

742.jpg

744.jpg

746.jpg

746.jpg

748.jpg

750.jpg

Martinismommy

OMG the picture with the 3 together is priceless! What beautiful fish!

Lucy

Wow Matt great pics!
Oh my, that pic of them in the bucket, then such a short time later, how gorgeous!

Gouramiguy17

Wow, do you mind me asking how much you paid for them, they look expensive.

Slug

Gouramiguy17 said:
Wow, do you mind me asking how much you paid for them, they look expensive.
I'll PM you. Its kind of sticker shock for a lot of people. You only live once is my philosophy.

platy ben

I think the pic of the 3 together could be a good contender in fish of the month
How many of each type is there? What size tank?
They are beautiful

Slug

5 Albino Blue Diamond throwbacks, 4 Flamingos all at the 4"+ mark, in a 40 breeder.

Thanks

Butterfly

Beautiful fish Matt! I have a question I know they need to be kept in a group but can discus be added to a tank one at a time or do they have to be added as a group? Carol

platy ben

I know they need to be kept in a group but can discus be added to a tank one at a time or do they have to be added as a group? Carol
Carol, do I have a feeling you might want some

Butterfly

platy ben said:
Carol, do I have a feeling you might want some
My LFS(which is excellent) has some I've been watching for awhile but are expensive enough I would have to buy them one or two at a time. They would go in my 75 gallon with corys. but I want to do it right
Carol

platy ben

Cool

Anyway, enough hi-jacking form me

Slug

Lol. Carol, I personally perfer to add them as a group. I think it helps the balance, no one is getting an extra week or more in the tank to set themselves up on a pedestal. Keeps the fighting down IMO and helps them adjust better since they are in a group to start.

I've seen them added a few at a time, but i'd recommend a group if possible.

Slug

Heres some more for your viewing pleasure. Its really funny...the Flamingos and ABDTBs have segregated themselves for the most part to two sides of the tank. I've seen discus do this before...but not by color LOL. Also, it seems that two of the largest ABDTBs want to pair. After getting a good feeding of Mal's blackworms they were getting frisky and cleaning a cone already.

The shape and color of these Flamingos is awesome, I'm really excited to work with these. The Flamingos were the only ones I got good shots of last night, and the tank is dirty but here they are.

Fts mid water change, see the segregation? You can also see my camera flash setup on the top of the tank.

84.jpg

86.jpg

88.jpg

90.jpg

92.jpg

91.jpg

94.jpg

bolivianbaby

They're gorgeous, Slug!

navyscuba

Awesome pics Slug.

Slug

Thanks.

Just wanted to say I'm on cloud 9 right now...fish have been in the tank a day less than a week and this is happening.

96.jpg

Really looking forward to working with an albino pair. The fish are still quite young so i'm going to leave them be for now, and after then get a little more size and age on them (or practice whichever comes first) I'll move them over to a breeding tank.

98.jpg

Also wanted to point out that I havn't done a water change (until today) on this tank for about 5 days. And the fish eat nothing but freeze dried blackworms. Discus hard? Eh.

Martinismommy

I want to smooch that cute face of the orange/white! My goodness that is just adorable!

Flyfrod

I really love your Discus. I thank you for your PM. Kenny really does have some beautiful fish. If you could I would be interested to see what they cost you to get an idea.

Slug

Another PM headed your way Fly.

jab91864

Amazingly beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darthwiz67

I have a question for you slug, I'm new to discus and am thinking about maybe getting some. I hear some people tell me not to use the sponge filter and some recommend it. What is your idea on the sponge filter as a way of filtration. Also what do you use for water changes RO? and how often do you clean the tank there in right now?

Slug

My sponges serve 2 purposes in my mind. It puts Oxygen in the water with the bubbles and air pumped to it, and it serves as a bacteria colony in a bare tank. No real filtration.

I use plain tap water for everything. I have access to an RO unit, but its at my father's office so its not exactly convenient for water changes all the time. I will mix it with tap water for my breeder tanks sometimes. I do water changes about every 2 days. With more fish in the tank, or younger fish i'd do daily. The breeder tanks get water changes every 2-3 days as well unless they have eggs or fry.

The sponge filters are great for bare tanks, if you don't have a bare tank I might look to other filtration. I'd highly recommend a bare tank, but its up to you.

lorabell

Wow_wow_wow!!!!!!!!

Slug

Just wait till you see what I have coming next week! Oh, did I say something?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom