New Discus Project

1. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

I have started A new Discus tank in preparation of its new occupants. they will be arriving in about a week or so.
    check out my Blog on the build here https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/disc61/116903-new-discus-project.html

be 6 in total, one of each of the following all between the size of 4-5 inches.
    Super checkerboard pigeon, Blue Diamond, Flamingo, Albino Cobalt (striated), Red Turq, pigeon snakeskin

know it is a waiting game.
    [​IMG]

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank? I really like the color of the stand and canopy, and your sand looks great. I can't wait to see the discus in it. Have fun!

P.S. Is that a tiger barb in there?

3. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Tank looks great, can't wait to see it occupied !

4. OP
    OP
    Disc61

thank you both, the tank is 55gl ( although already looking for a 75gl ) the sand is a Pool filter sand i picked up at Walmart, i have used play sand in the past and really like this.
    yeah i have a tiger Barb and 3 head and taillight tetras in there right now to help feed the cycle. they will all come out before the Discus go in. looking forward to it being occupied as well.
    can't wait.

5. n

nitingdedao Valued Member Member

It sure look nice. However I am afraid your discus might get spooke and injured themselves. Nice big tank but why cramp it up with drift woods?

6. OP
    OP
    Disc61

well, i have been debating whether i have to much in there. certainly don't want them spoked but have seen many Discus tank with Driftwood. but i certainly am debating whether i have to much of it.

7. n

In my opinion the once I circled out can be remove and it will still stay pleasing to the eye ;)

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    Disc61

interesting

9. y

yusufm52 Valued Member Member

IMO what nitingdedao has suggested, i think that would look nice, but where would you hide your sponge filter that is hid behind the center piece of Driftwood?

10. OP
    OP
    Disc61

will have to play with it a bit and see. but gotta hurry, Kenny says the fish are ready and i chose tomorrow as the day of delivery as the rest of the week doesn't work for me.
    Ohhh the suspense.

11. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Looks good to me. Depends on how full you want the tank to look, that would determine if you should take out the big pieces of wood. And how annoyed you get when you try to reach your hand in for WCs hehe. Looks good though. You'll be happy with Kenny, its like Christmas when you get them from him. Be sure to have good scissors handy, don't try and remove the 10lbs of rubber bands just snip the top of the bags off! ;)

12. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I am thinking of doing a discus project with the 50 bow.. I am reading up on it when I can. IMO
    I like everything but the wood layout in that tank. Its too much yet not enough of something.. I guess it looks bare with a lot of wood. Its hard to explain but its what you like is what counts.

13. OP
    OP
    Disc61

haha, thanks for the heads up, scissors will be close by.

14. noslen1003

noslen1003 Valued Member Member

might need some floor janitors to clean up left-over foods - like Sterbai.

15. OP
    OP
    Disc61

i would suggest a 75 if possible ( i am actually searching for a 75 myself) 55 is recommended as a minimum, although a 50 would probably work as well I imagine. yeah, i think i do know what you mean. i headed to the tank now to play a bit this evening, then need to finish it as Discus are on there way from California as we speak. thanks for the remarks, everything is welcome and gives me an opportunity to listen to other ideas.

none for me, i will be the janitor, don't see a reason since i will be doing cleaning every night.

16. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I understand you'll be doing the changes daily but the sand will be getting all the slime from the fish and there's no way that a syphon can clean the sand enough. I will do some bristlenose to clean the bottom.

17. OP
    OP
    Disc61

thanks for the suggestion

18. n

I would take away the sand. lol

19. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

Hey there - good to know the information on the tank size. If I did try the discus thing and used the 50 for now - what would be the max stock as in discus you would suggest? Be sure and take pictures of your new arrivals and tank changes please. I want to follow your progress to see how it goes.

If you had to list 5 major components of keeping discus what would they be?

20. OP
    OP
    Disc61

in a 50 gl i would say probably 5 - in a 55 gl you could overstock a bit to 6 with daily water changes. rule (or guide) is 1 discus for every 10 gl.
    below is the most recent change to the tank and i am thinking final for now as the i am tracking the fishes on the Fedex truck now and should be here in the next hour or so. i will get a quick pic of
    the fishes then will leave them alone for a few days to settle in and take more pics and post.
    5 major components - first let me say i am not an expert, but have been researching these guys for over a year.
    1. i think most importantly is starting off with Healthy Discus from a reputable breeder or importer.
    2. keeping prestine water conditions, which are accomplished with Frequent water changes
    3. the size of the fish - what i mean by this is smaller juvies require even more care and devotion during their early stages.
    as a beginner with Discus it is recommended to start out with Sub-Adults or Adults( i know more expensive) as they are a bit easier ( i say that with caution) to care for.
    4. feeding them different foods, getting them to eat more than just one food all the time and providing them with a variety. from flakes, pellets, frozen
    and even homemade recipes.
    5. taking time to research and not just jumping in. i did that the first time ( 2 years ago ) and just had no idea. then begin reading about Discus and realized i needed to read more.
    myself, i took over a year, joined another forum called SimplyDiscus which i highly recommend. very knowledgeable people on that site. ( not saying the folks here are not) a matter of fact many here
    belong to Simply as well.

again, not an expert by any means, hope this helps
    SORRY FOR THE GLARE ON THE TANK

[​IMG]