New Discus not happy or feeding

suanlou
HI there, hope you can all give me some of your experienced tips on a couple of things. My 2 Discus that I got 2 weeks ago are showing no real signs of coming out to feed. They hide all the time, could it be that they need more Discus with them to settle them better? One of them is very dark most if the time. I have two angelfish in the tank with them, some say this is ok other say not, the thing is, when they do come out they swim with the angel fish.
I only have 3 cory cats, 1 oto and 3 tetras in the tank with these fish, what should I do, before I lose them.

Susan

Chief_waterchanger
What size is the tank, and what temperature is the tank? Discus need kept at no less than 80 degrees farenheit, a lower temperature may make them sluggish and not want to eat. The fish you listed need a minimum of a 55 gallon tank also.

Callum The Cat
what the temp ur ph they like it at about 6-6.6 hardness? they like about 10-30 ppm what size tank

Peace Out Callum!

suanlou
HI thanks for getting back with an answer, not sure about gallons but my tank is 160 litres and the temp is sitting at 86. The PH is 7.6 I know this is higher but it is actually the PH that my fish supplier has all his tanks at so they have had no drastic change in that respect. I also asked what they were feeding them as I know they can be fussy and I bought what they were using. I will just have to hope they make it through.

Thanks Susan

armadillo
HI Suannlou. Welcome to Fishlore.

I don't own discus, but I've heard that it was common for them to not eat in the first few days of being brought home. I hope that's what's bothering your little guy.

Callum The Cat
7.6 is way to high it should be at the higest 7 86 is a fine temp do u no ur hardness

160 litres is way to small for discus I would say about 220 litre minimuim

Peace Out Callum!

capekate
HI there, hope you can all give me some of your experienced tips on a couple of things. My 2 Discus that I got 2 weeks ago are showing no real signs of coming out to feed. They hide all the time, could it be that they need more Discus with them to settle them better? One of them is very dark most if the time. I have two angelfish in the tank with them, some say this is ok other say not, the thing is, when they do come out they swim with the angel fish.
I only have 3 cory cats, 1 oto and 3 tetras in the tank with these fish, what should I do, before I lose them.

Susan
HI Susan..
sorry to hear you are having some problems with your Discus. What is your water change schedule? That is very important to produce happy and healthy Discus. It could be that the angelfish are making your guy nervous. I have had 2 angels in with my discus as well, and even tho they didnt fight, I believe the Discus were nervous with them. I have since put the angels into their own 29 gallon tank. Your Discus that is dark is nervous and you need to find out why that is. Also during feeding your angels are much more aggressive than the Discus are and that may be one of the problems you are having.Your PH is higher than what they need ideally but it is not a point where they can die from it. They can adjust. Let us know what your water change schedule is and what you are feeding your Discus and how often?
thanks, ~ kate

jefftse

Susan

Yea.. They need clean water and lower ph that's for sure. I have had the same problem and I ended losing them. Here is what I did and saved me 3 discus. Take them out to QT and use 50% your main tank water and 50% fresh water. Lower your PH .2 every 2 days until it gets to 6.5. change 25% water everyday or every other day, make sure you watch them closely for 2 weeks. They should get their color back shortly.

How big are they?

Jeff

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Vichu