New Discus not eating

capekate
HI all you Discus lovers!
Well I picked up two new discus on thursday, beautiful fish btw and brought them home. So far Ricky Blue is not eating and stays in the corner. I tried the HakarI frozen brine shrimp, omega one freeze dried bloodworms, hakarI frozen krill and still cannot convince him to eat. Tho he looks at it, just doesn't show any interest in it. So this morning I called the petshop that I bought them from and talked with the tech there. She was very helpful and concerned about it as I am. Another customer that also bought from this batch is having the same problem. The shop tech suggested calling the breeder to find out what they have been feeding them before being shipped. She did, it seems that they were feeding pretty much the same thing other than live brine shrimp. So she ordered some for me and I will pick them up tomorrow and try and get Ricky Blue to eat. If he does, I will have to work out a solution of either growing my own brine shrimp, which I have never done or continue going for a supply there. Other than that, they are willing to work with me on helping Ricky Blue and in the result that Ricky Blue and Lucy Lemon do not make it they will credit me through the breeder, lets hope that doesn't happen I don't want to loose them. Its nice to have a shop close by that has the love of the fish at heart and willing to help!
Has anyone had any experience with growing live brine shrimp?
thanks. ~ kate

nicole
That's good Kate that they are going to look after you.
no can't say I've had any experience with the live bs

capekate
Well, I brought home the live brine shrimp and tried Ricky blue on that, and he just wasn't interested. In a last resort, while I decided to give the cardinal tetras some flake, I added alittle bit more to see if he would take it. Would you belive, that after the frozen... the freeze dried.. the live foods.. that he would eat some flake??
Funny fish... But at least he ate! ;D

Gunnie
I'm glad your discus is eating! For what you paid for your discus, make sure you feed them good food. My recommendation would be Omega One color flakes for a staple food (since they will eat flakes), and experiment with other foods to find out what they like. Your other fish can eat these flakes as well!

capekate
HI Gunnie
well after reading up on the Discus, I was led to believe that they really didnt like flake food. I have been giving them HakarI gold products, like the frozen krill with vitimins, the HakarI frozen brine shrimp, and Ive been giving them Omega One freeze dried bloodworms and also the live brine shrimp. It was the tetra color flakes that he did eat. I wish he ate more tho, just tasted them is all. he is still not eating like he should tho. This has been going on too long.... over a week now. I don't usually feed them flakes, they don't seem to get the hang of floating foods..
But I will keep trying different products. I'm going back to the LFS tomorrow morning and see what else is in the line of Omega One products.
thanks, kate

nicole
He's still not eating Kate..okay have you noticed what colour his poo is yet?I know it is a funny question but it can give you an indication of what is going on..
Nicole.

capekate
I know you asked me that before.. but I gotta tell ya.. its not like I see it hanging off them like the other fish in the community tank. I never see these Discus go to the bathroom!! lol... but what I clean up in the gravel when I vacumm is black, if that's any indication of anything?
~ kate

nicole
That's funny Kate...Okay obviously there is nothing wrong in that dept..usually you would notice..EG:stomach lining,clear poo dangling is what I was enquiring about..none of that happening so that's good..

capekate
nope.. none of that... guess their tummies are ok..

nicole
LOL...
Anyway on a serious note sometimes if they are isolating themselves,have clear u know what, and aren't eating it can be an early symptom of internal hex..that's why I asked that more than once..if you know what to look for its easier to treat..but all is good..
No upset tummies
Nicole.

nicole
How's this fish going Kate..Is it eating properly yet?
Nicole.

capekate
HI Nicole
It seems that the pecking order has settled down some and they are getting used to each other. Now that I took the angelfish out and put them in their own tank, Ricky Blue has come out of the corner and swimming around more. Actually they all are swimming around more freely. Not that the angels bothered them much, maybe an occasional peck, but not unheard of in cichlids. I think that being bred in Discus tanks, they were not used to being with other fish and the two new ones may have been frightened of the Angels. I don't know... But anyway... he still doesn't appear to be eating,but hes got to be eating something!!! tomorrow is two weeks that I brought him home so maybe he is getting left over food off the gravel after the others have fed. At least he is swimming in the group now and not much pushing him around anymore. But he is still very shy... poor guy.
~ kate

nicole
Woohoo,that's good..well if he's not loosing weight and doesn't look ill(he's not dark??) no other symptoms it's a good sign that he's joining in slowly..trial and error with these guys.

capekate
HI Nicole
I looked him over real good yesterday to see any physical signs of problems. His color looks good, he is mostly blue and sometimes does go paler at times. His eyes look good, and no body marks. Hes not dark at all. I watched one of the discus at feeding time, was being bothered by the lil wise guy casper and boy did he turn a dark dark red... He must have been pretty mad. But then went back to his normal color.
I have been so busy this week with other things that include setting up a new tank, dealing with pc problems that are finally cleared up that I haven't had the time to sit and type of that discus care-sheet yet but hoping that I will be able to get to that tomorrow or later today and start working on it.
have a great evening! ~ kate

jefftse
Hey Kate,

How are your discus? Are they all eating now? I think I'm having a similar problem. One discus doesn't eat.. but I think it's because he's always being attacked by the other 2 discus and he had no chance to eat. He is also a very slow eater.. Do young discus always fight? Any way to stop that?

capekate
HI Jefftse,
How nice to see another Discus owner on board! ;D I think that they all do that pecking at each other and chasing all over the tank. One is always trying to dominate the others. The juveniles also chase each other around. ALOT!
It concerns me as well at times. I believe your discus that is not eating has become shy and probably getting picked on more than the others and wants to stay out of the way during feeding time.
My Ricky blue has become much better over time and now eats with the others and doesn't get pushed around as much any more either. It seems to take awhile for them to get used to each other and used to being in a new environment ...They will also switch off on who is being the aggressor as well, you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure them out as I did. They are cichlids after all and they do what they do... chase and pick on each other.
If you see any physical injury caused by the fighting you will want to separate them then.. otherwise, let them work it out, they will.
You can try giving them food from both sides of the tank and wait for the others to chase the new food, then give the shy guy some of his own.
good luck with your new Discus.. and we would love to see photos! ;D
~ kate

jefftse
HI Jefftse,
How nice to see another Discus owner on board! ;D I think that they all do that pecking at each other and chasing all over the tank. One is always trying to dominate the others. The juveniles also chase each other around. ALOT!
It concerns me as well at times. I believe your discus that is not eating has become shy and probably getting picked on more than the others and wants to stay out of the way during feeding time.
My Ricky blue has become much better over time and now eats with the others and doesn't get pushed around as much any more either. It seems to take awhile for them to get used to each other and used to being in a new environment ...They will also switch off on who is being the aggressor as well, you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure them out as I did. They are cichlids after all and they do what they do... chase and pick on each other.
If you see any physical injury caused by the fighting you will want to separate them then.. otherwise, let them work it out, they will.
You can try giving them food from both sides of the tank and wait for the others to chase the new food, then give the shy guy some of his own.
good luck with your new Discus.. and we would love to see photos! ;D
~ kate

They are doing a little better.. They actually would eat of my hand when I'm de-frosting the brine shrmp in the water.. My Marlboro definitely gets pushed around by the other 2 all the time and he is skinny.. He does eat tho when he is not getting picked on..

I have 4 more in the separate tank right now.. when they are okay to be in the same thank I will take some pictures.

Thanks

capekate
HI Jefftse
I don't think its a good idea to thaw your frozen brine shrimp in the tank. The Discus have sensitive stomachs and the cold is not good for them. Can I suggest another way? I take some tank water and put it in a bowl, then add the frozen brine shrimp cube and let it set til it melts. This way it is not cold when they eat it. Your fish will be better for it.
Glad to hear your guy is eating again..
~ kate

jefftse
HI Jefftse
I don't think its a good idea to thaw your frozen brine shrimp in the tank. The Discus have sensitive stomachs and the cold is not good for them. Can I suggest another way? I take some tank water and put it in a bowl, then add the frozen brine shrimp cube and let it set til it melts. This way it is not cold when they eat it. Your fish will be better for it.
Glad to hear your guy is eating again..
~ kate

This is a good idea. I usually just defrost it with my hand in the water but I would try what you suggested!

capekate
... just passing along good advice that was given to me! ;D
Good luck with your Discus.. they really are beautiful fish... ( don't forget photos when you can!)
~ kate

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
capekate
Replies
Views
johndiscuskeeper
Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies