New discus keeper

Discussion in 'Slug' started by AlanGreene, Dec 7, 2012.

1. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Hi guys,

I recently fell in love with a small discus at my LFS. He is currently in my 25g tank but I bought a 63g tank so I could give him more space and some friends (I was thinking either 1 or 3 more) I also have 9 cardinals and I was planning on getting 16 more for my 63g and also 8 sterbai cory catfish with 10 amano shrimp. I know discus grow quite large, am I being selfish getting 2 or 4 in to a 63g tank? Is it way too small? They will be the biggest fish in my tank if that helps? I know they are shy.. The small guy I have now have colored up nicely since I got him and he eats well and swims calmly and explores the whole tank, he sleeps in my Java fern which is cool to watch! I was directed here as you guys have some discus experience, I would love some help if you have the time,

Thanks for reading,

Al

2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I'm too poor for discus lol

3. OP
    OP
    A

Okay so I could have 2 discus in my tank? I saw some beautiful white ones in my LFC that are the same size (small) as my current one, I could get one now for my 25g and transfer into my 63g in 1/2 months when it is planted and cycled? I love discus they are just so nice and they move like no other fish Ive seen!

4. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

You are getting some wrong info. Its 1 adult discus per 10gals of water. You could keep 6-7 discus in that tank by themselves. Assuming your maintenance is up to par and you keep it regular, i'd say you can keep anywhere from 4-6 in there with the cardinals and cories. Again, just make sure you keep up the water changes. I personally always overstock, just how I like to do it.

Odd or even, I've never bought into that argument. Of course, I always pull out breeding pairs and house them separately or sell them when that happens so I never have problems.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Hi Slug,

Thank you so much for the replies guys. I think that might be the best post I have seen all day, 4 to 6 discus? amazing... I do water changes every second day at the moment. I have 9 cardinals 5 guppies, 3 ammano shrimp and 1 small discus, I have forgotten his strain, could you identify for me perhaps? they are in my 25g in my 25g and will be moving to my new 63g, I will upload a photo here now. Can you offer any advice for me as a started keeper? I am very considerate of the animals in my care and want only the best conditions for them.

In my tank I am hoping to have:

25 cardinals
    4 Discus
    8 cory sterbai catfish
    10 ammano shrimp

Do you think that stocking is okay if I do water changes every second day? Thanks for all the help guys :)

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    A

I don't think there can be wrong info, there is only peoples best judgement, everyone is here to help and to create a better life for our fish and to share our ideas and tanks with each other, all advice is more than welcome, thanks everyone!

7. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

TBH I think that sounds fine, but a wtaer change every 2 days is too often. I think twice a week is good.

8. OP
    OP
    A

That' every better, will save my back lugging buckets of water up the stairs!! I will do them on Sunday's and Thursday's! I just fell in love with Discus, no other fish move like them. Could someone please give me some pointers on what to look for in a healthy Discus? I was told red eyes is a good sign, fins not stuck together, eager for food and responsive, is this correct?

9. OP
    OP
    A

Could this be my fish?

10. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That is incorrect. Young discus need lots of water changes. They are far more sensitive than adults. With all the fish that is already in the tank, I think every 2 days is good.

What temperature are you keeping your water at? Discus need warmer water than most species.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Hi,

I read that the Discus need warmer water too, I had it at 28 degrees and moved it up to 29 for one hour and then on to 30 degrees, Do you think that temperature is okay? Will it be okay for the cardinals and such also?

12. C

I think 28-29 is pretty much perfect. Slug may have more advice to offer. The cardinals should be ok. Do you have good aeration in your tank? Warm water needs more air.

13. OP
    OP
    A

I have a bubbler running in the corner and 2 java fern plants, I will be moving these fish ito my new 63g tank soon though and am planting it with dwarf hair grass and will have a large bubbler along with an unchosen feature plant, is this okay?

14. C

Yeah, sounds good to me.

15. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

There can never be to many water changes. All of my discus tanks get daily water changes. 28-30 is fine. Mine is around 84F, which is around 29C.

16. OP
    OP
    A

Great! thanks guys for all the info and advice. If anyone can identify my discus that would be great, if not I can ask my supplier when I see him next, I should have written it down. I will be taking photos of me planting the tank and getting it ready as a journal type thing to share with everyone, I posted in the aquascaping section and plant section looking for some help with how to play my dwarf hair grass but have not gotten much of a response, do you guys know anyone who might be able to help? Thanks all :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice