New Discus Keeper- Advice Welcome [emoji4]

tiffani
I picked up two baby discus last month at my lfs one day he had some in. These were really small 1-2 inches and I was petrified of them. I added them into my juvenile angelfish tank I am growing out as he assured me they would be fine. They took a couple days to acclimate, but they are just as aggressive if not more than the angelfish when feeding, fed flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, tubifex worms, pellets. They even eat the plecos wafers too. The eat well, even though 2 of 4 angels are bigger than them. They stick together or with the angels and stare at me continually for food when they see me. I’ve been doing water changes every 2 or 3 days, clean filter regularly, their fed a variety of foods and seem happy with so much personality.

They even flip sideways to look at me at top of tank and flip sideways at each other? What does that mean? Any extra advice growing out these babies successfully? I’m not getting 8-10 more discus cause their my pets, not breeding prospects. I will be upgrading their tank once their a bit bigger to 46 gallon bow front I have empty right now.

A201
Sounds like you are already doing a good job keeping the new Discus. Continue keeping the water pristine with WC's and don't try to alter the PH of the water. Keep the water warm, 82 - 84 degrees. Post pics & updates.

nikm128
I picked up two baby discus last month at my lfs one day he had some in. These were really small 1-2 inches and I was petrified of them. I added them into my juvenile angelfish tank I am growing out as he assured me they would be fine. They took a couple days to acclimate, but they are just as aggressive if not more than the angelfish when feeding, fed flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, tubifex worms, pellets. They even eat the plecos wafers too. The eat well, even though 2 of 4 angels are bigger than them. They stick together or with the angels and stare at me continually for food when they see me. I’ve been doing water changes every 2 or 3 days, clean filter regularly, their fed a variety of foods and seem happy with so much personality.

They even flip sideways to look at me at top of tank and flip sideways at each other? What does that mean? Any extra advice growing out these babies successfully? I’m not getting 8-10 more discus cause their my pets, not breeding prospects. I will be upgrading their tank once their a bit bigger to 46 gallon bow front I have empty right now.
Um, who assured you this was fine? I hate being the bad guy, but 1. They need groups of 5+ 2. They need at the very least a 75 gallon tank, and 3. You'll need to be doing at least 50% daily water changes...

jmaldo
tiffanI
Interesting. "Discus" in your title caught my eye. I am about to embark on a "Discus" journey myself. Have been doing quite a bit of research. I even started a thread here looking for advise, some good info here.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...s-info-from-successful-discus-keepers.395674/
It appears what you have is working for you. I would definitely re-home to the larger tank when you can. Will be watching.
Good Luck!

86 ssinit
Good morning and welcome to fishlore. Discus are a difficult fish to keep. Just curious did you go intending to buy discus? Or was it a spur of the moment? As you read discus need certain things. Warm water 82-85 degrees. Clean water. Most will change water daily or at least every other day. Certain foods and if any certain tank mates. And angelfish unforunatly are not one of them. Probably the number one fish not to put with discus. Sorry .
Well your there now and you’ve been there for a month. So all is well. As the angels get older there may be problems. People have done what your doing and it has worked. Good luck .

I now find myself in almost the same boat. And I know about discus. Just “saved” 2 1” discus. I have a tank at 82* so I figured I’d give them a chance . So I will be following your thread. Maybe we can help each other. Mine have been this size for at least a month. Just got them yesterday (spur of the moment) and they haven't eaten yet. Got my fingers crossed
B048AC88-B816-48EB-A286-76C31C4DB6C1.jpeg
8C067176-09D2-4285-8BA5-D1D2A7715F74.jpeg Oh and by the way Nikm this is all your fault .

tiffani
Good morning and welcome to fishlore. Discus are a difficult fish to keep. Just curious did you go intending to buy discus? Or was it a spur of the moment? As you read discus need certain things. Warm water 82-85 degrees. Clean water. Most will change water daily or at least every other day. Certain foods and if any certain tank mates. And angelfish unforunatly are not one of them. Probably the number one fish not to put with discus. Sorry .
Well your there now and you’ve been there for a month. So all is well. As the angels get older there may be problems. People have done what your doing and it has worked. Good luck .

I now find myself in almost the same boat. And I know about discus. Just “saved” 2 1” discus. I have a tank at 82* so I figured I’d give them a chance . So I will be following your thread. Maybe we can help each other. Mine have been this size for at least a month. Just got them yesterday (spur of the moment) and they haven't eaten yet. Got my fingers crossedView attachment 555895 View attachment 555896 Oh and by the way Nikm this is all your fault .

Hello
No, I didn’t intent to buy discus that day, I was looking for dithering fish to stop the angelfish arguing. Thank you for being nice. Mines are smaller than yours, my lfs raises his own angelfish- where I got those angel babies the month or so before. and these discus were smaller than yours when I bought them last month, I couldn’t even tell what colors they were. Their was 3 left, I bought the two best looking ones. They are very happy with angels for now, and the angels are outgrowing them. This particular tank is in my bedroom, I’m able to see them interact all the time, especially on weekends. The angels back down from them and for now they dominate the bigger angels.
I don’t want a strictly discus tank, in the wild discus don’t live in Amazon all by themselves exclusively- many other types of fish live with them. I do have the 46 gallon bow front empty right now, I was waiting on aqueon to replace my light fixture that was broken, now I have to buy another heater, etc.
I’ve had these discus for a month now, they were under 1 inch when I bought them and turning up temp to 82-84, water changes constantly every few days, hardest part was getting them to eat cause their mouths were teeny tiny- nothing fit at first. They are doing really good. They argue amongst themselves, follow the angels around, the BN pleco ignores everyone except when feeding, the baby betta girl stays stuck in the plants or comes to me.
IMG_1386.JPG

86 ssinit
Ok mine just look big in the picture. There tiny just over an inch. Way to small to be sold. If you look at mine you’ll notice no black lines. When the guy was catching them they had the black lines. There stress lines. Yours are showing the stress lines. That’s because of the angels. They may look like there getting along but those lines tell all. Again sorry. Please don’t hate me. The pleco could also be a problem too. Sometimes a pleco will eat the slime coat off a discus. If the discus develop round spots on them...that’s the pleco.
Discus are demanding fish. Also don’t be upset with Nikm he’s just being proactive. He’s a discus keeper and just worried.
Now just a little more info . The plant in tn3 sand is a java fern. The rhizome needs to be above the sand. Most people will attach them to a piece of driftwood or some other decoration. Notice in my pic there’s a java fern right under the darker discus (dying leaf on it).

tiffani
Ok mine just look big in the picture. There tiny just over an inch. Way to small to be sold. If you look at mine you’ll notice no black lines. When the guy was catching them they had the black lines. There stress lines. Yours are showing the stress lines. That’s because of the angels. They may look like there getting along but those lines tell all. Again sorry. Please don’t hate me. The pleco could also be a problem too. Sometimes a pleco will eat the slime coat off a discus. If the discus develop round spots on them...that’s the pleco.
Discus are demanding fish. Also don’t be upset with Nikm he’s just being proactive. He’s a discus keeper and just worried.
Now just a little more info . The plant in tn3 sand is a java fern. The rhizome needs to be above the sand. Most people will attach them to a piece of driftwood or some other decoration. Notice in my pic there’s a java fern right under the darker discus (dying leaf on it).

The BN pleco I’ve had since last year. He’s not a problem, if he was I’d move him to my daughter’s established 10 gallon. The angelfish lose their black stripes and gain them all the time. They all seem to be emotionally connected to their stripes. Again, this tank is directly in front of me in my bedroom, I see everything they do, as I’m looking at them right now. I had a BGA outbreak from me trying to feed them different kinds of food when they kept begging, I overfed, so I treated with erythromycin for a week, then general cure to worm them all. I stopped over feeding, They survived that just fine. I’ve been having problems with the plants, the roots are bad, thank you, I’ll move them. I didn’t research much about plants, mainly fish. No wood in this tank, I have large pieces for the bigger tank that’s empty.

I’ve basically been keeping the baby discus warm, ph @ 7, keeping the water clean, and feeding them what will fit in their little mouths. They don’t hide, I remove hood halfway when I feed, their all up at the top begging. They graze the sand with the angels and don’t see them off in a dark corner hiding like I see other people’s discus only tanks.
They are extremely interactive with me, I talk to them everyday and they seem to like that a lot.

IMG_1388.JPG

86 ssinit
I’m not talking about the angelfish. Their black lines belong. The discus should not have black lines. For them it’s stress. Yes the pleco May be fine but if it discovers the slime coat that discus have covering there body it will eat it.
Just things to look out for. It sounds like your fish are fine. They look healthy in the pics.

tiffani
I’m not talking about the angelfish. Their black lines belong. The discus should not have black lines. For them it’s stress. Yes the pleco May be fine but if it discovers the slime coat that discus have covering there body it will eat it.
Just things to look out for. It sounds like your fish are fine. They look healthy in the pics.

Yes, I know your referring to the discus black stripes, I was just saying the angelfish also lose their stripes as well, on and off. My biggest obstacle so far with the discus was feeding them with those tiny mouths. I will be moving them, but I’m let that 46 gallon cycle first b4 I move them into it. At this time I have no desire for a discus only tank, that could change in the future. I’m content with them just as pets for now. Thank you for the advice

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views
JayAlva
Replies
Views
fa4960