New discus hiding?

Ambie
I recently brought 4 juvie Discus to go in my 55g [will be upgraded to 75g during the next petco sale], I also have 22 serpae tetras hoping a large group would keep them calmer. They haven't show that much aggression to the discus other than the first 5min introduction to the tank and after that keep to themselves.

The discus have only been in the tank for the last 3hrs but they tend to stay hidden in the corner or behind amazon swords.

I'm trying to figure out if its the tankmates or just adjusting to a new environment. I also have a canister filter that pushs 525gph but the spray bar is pointed towards the surface for oxygen/surface agitation.

If it is the serpaes i can move them to a different tank and replace them with either a group of 6 harlequin rasbora and 6 black neon tetras or a group of 12 signifier rainbowfish.

So should i be concerned or just give them time?

PurpleReign19
Ambie said:
I recently brought 4 juvie Discus to go in my 55g [will be upgraded to 75g during the next petco sale], I also have 22 serpae tetras hoping a large group would keep them calmer. They haven't show that much aggression to the discus other than the first 5min introduction to the tank and after that keep to themselves.

The discus have only been in the tank for the last 3hrs but they tend to stay hidden in the corner or behind amazon swords.

I'm trying to figure out if its the tankmates or just adjusting to a new environment. I also have a canister filter that pushs 525gph but the spray bar is pointed towards the surface for oxygen/surface agitation.

If it is the serpaes i can move them to a different tank and replace them with either a group of 6 harlequin rasbora and 6 black neon tetras or a group of 12 signifier rainbowfish.

I would probably just give them time to adjust but I have never dealt with a fish as fragile as a discus so I don't know for sure.

Corylover123
They are just adjusting I would probably throw in tannins and black out the tank for A day

Ambie
FreshwaterFins99 said:
I would probably just give them time to adjust but I have never dealt with a fish as fragile as a discus so I don't know for sure.
I was really caution with the acclimation, i dripped for about 1hr just in case even with them coming from a local store.
With being my first try with discus and i guess i'm super paranoid about them.

Corylover123
Ambie said:

Honestly I would move out the serapes and add the rainbows and maybe get a school of blue ozyrias (12) from aquatic arts they look very cool and contrast discus and will dither and it’s like 37$ for 12

PurpleReign19
Ambie said:
I was really caution with the acclimation, i dripped for about 1hr just in case even with them coming from a local store.
Sounds like you are taking good care of them I would do what was stated in the thread above and add some tannins to help ease the fish. If they don't start acting normal after a few days then it might be a concern but for now I would bet that they are just adjusting.

Corylover123
Ambie said:
Don’t worry about drip acclimating except for like saltwater inverts, usually plop and drop with the tank water is ok, if the water at the store was contaminated the fish would be contaminated
FreshwaterFins99 said:
Sounds like you are taking good care of them I would do what was stated in the thread above and add some tannins to help ease the fish. If they don't start acting normal after a few days then it might be a concern but for now I would bet that they are just adjusting.
+1

Ambie
Corylover123 said:
Don’t worry about drip acclimating except for like saltwater inverts, usually plop and drop with the tank water is ok, if the water at the store was contaminated the fish would be contaminated

+1
Ok, i've got some almond leaf extract i can throw in and i'll turn the light completely. I had it on about 15% brightness so i could keep a eye on the tetras. I was worried about the acclimating since everyone talks about how fragile they are.

So will my rainbows be ok at 82-84f?

PurpleReign19
Ambie said:
Ok, i've got some almond leaf extract i can throw in and i'll turn the light completely. I had it on about 15% brightness so i could keep a eye on the tetras. I was worried about the acclimating since everyone talks about how fragile they are.

So will my rainbows be ok at 82-84f?
Not sure about the temp but the almond leaf extract and lights off sounds good. Good luck

Corylover123
Yeah Australia is hot right, honestly I would buy some kind of fish from xingu or a hot water river. the tank bred ones CAN go at lower temps. My theory is because the discus are fed beef heart to make them grow faster but it’s harder to digest so they have to raise the temp.

Ambie
Corylover123 said:
Yeah Australia is hot right, honestly I would buy some kind of fish from xingu or a hot water river. the tank bred ones CAN go at lower temps. My theory is because the discus are fed beef heart to make them grow faster but it’s harder to digest so they have to raise the temp.
Ok, Thanks i get to moving everyone on Monday when i do water changes. Thanks you both for the help!

86 ssinit
Hello and good luck with your new discus! How big are your discus. Discus will always hide when new to a tank. Were there other fish in the tank with them at the store? New discus need clean new water to do good. 50% water change daily till 4” this is their growing time. Should also be fed 4-6x a day. The serpaes may work out but would have been better added later after the discus have adapted to your tank. Yes leave in the dark and don’t feed for the first 24hrs. Next sometimes discus won’t eat for a few days to a week. What was the store feeding them. Pictures would be nice. Ask questions!

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
Hello and good luck with your new discus! How big are your discus. Discus will always hide when new to a tank. Were there other fish in the tank with them at the store? New discus need clean new water to do good. 50% water change daily till 4” this is their growing time. Should also be fed 4-6x a day. The serpaes may work out but would have been better added later after the discus have adapted to your tank. Yes leave in the dark and don’t feed for the first 24hrs. Next sometimes discus won’t eat for a few days to a week. What was the store feeding them. Pictures would be nice. Ask questions!
Sadly, One of the smallest one died this morning, he wasn't showing any sign of illness. I did a 40% water change Sunday morning after finding one that died one and tested the water.
But of three that remain my biggest one is about 3 1/2in and the 2 smaller ones just about 2in.

There weren't any other fish in there tank.
The 3 remaining have been exploring more once the light are off and the serpaes sleep. They've also been eating a tiny bit of bloodworms but the serpaes have been outcompeting them, So i do plan to remove them in the morning and get 2-3 more discus and maybe try a schooling fish once they get more outgoing.

Water change aren't a big deal since i have a python & i also raised the temp to 84f.
My parameter this morning were pH: 6.8 -7.0 / Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20 / gh: 4-6dgh

Would my gh be consider soft or hard water?

86 ssinit
Your gh is fine and good for discus. Before you get more discus work with the ones you have. Where did you get them?
What are your tap water readings?
Being there’s 22 of them the Serpaes have the advantage at feeding time I’d leave 3 or 4 in with the discus. Get them used to the tetras.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
Your gh is fine and good for discus. Before you get more discus work with the ones you have. Where did you get them?
What are your tap water readings?
Being there’s 22 of them the Serpaes have the advantage at feeding time I’d leave 3 or 4 in with the discus. Get them used to the tetras.
A friend of mine got them from Petco but had them in a 20g for a week before if convinced him to sell them to me. I already had a 55g that just finished cycling.

I've removed all the Serpaes today and i most likely will keep it that why till they get bigger and more stable.
I did a 60% water change when i removed the serpaes and they seemed to come out more and started playing in the python stream.

Is there anything else i can do to make sure they are healthy?

86 ssinit
Many things to do but first put up some pictures. Petco is not the best place to buy discus.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
Many things to do but first put up some pictures. Petco is not the best place to buy discus.
Here's some photos, They're still a bit skittish.

20210419_141919.jpg

20210419_141923.jpg

20210419_141930.jpg

20210419_141953.jpg

86 ssinit
Ok nice looking discus. The red one is a checkerboard. That white patch in the back will go away and the pattern on the fish will show there. The 2 blue guys are a little off there fins are ragged. Clean water will take care of that. Are you using a co2 system for the plants?

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
Ok nice looking discus. The red one is a checkerboard. That white patch in the back will go away and the pattern on the fish will show there. The 2 blue guys are a little off there fins are ragged. Clean water will take care of that. Are you using a co2 system for the plants?
The fins could have been done by the serpaes.

I've been using Diy citric acid/baking soda C02 Generators Canisters with solenoid. My drop checker has stays a little darker lime green.

20210413_135010.jpg

86 ssinit
That is a great looking tank!! Problem though is discus look great in a planted tank but don’t grow well in them. If your co2 is fluctuating your ph it could be a disaster for discus. Also planted tanks are very hard to clean. Your best bet now would be to get a 30g and grow them out in that tank. Go bare bottom change a lot of water daily and feed them a lot.
I grow plants but not as high tech. No co2 and ferts once a week. Plus I just had a problem in my tanks and removed all the plants so I could use salt.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
That is a great looking tank!! Problem though is discus look great in a planted tank but don’t grow well in them. If your co2 is fluctuating your ph it could be a disaster for discus. Also planted tanks are very hard to clean. Your best bet now would be to get a 30g and grow them out in that tank. Go bare bottom change a lot of water daily and feed them a lot.
I grow plants but not as high tech. No co2 and ferts once a week. Plus I just had a problem in my tanks and removed all the plants so I could use salt.
My ph has stayed at a steady 7.0, also only dose ferts once a week and i was planning to remove the Co2 anyway.
Could a planted tank work if i removed the co2, did 50-60% water changes and gravel vac daily?

I currently don't have the space to add a new tank.

Also they still haven't be accepting food yet, I've been feeding the first then changing the water to keep it clean.
How long would it take for to start eating?

JayAlva
Ambie said:
My ph has stayed at a steady 7.0, also only dose ferts once a week and i was planning to remove the Co2 anyway.
Could a planted tank work if i removed the co2, did 50-60% water changes and gravel vac daily?

I currently don't have the space to add a new tank.

Also they still haven't be accepting food yet, I've been feeding the first then changing the water to keep it clean.
How long would it take for to start eating?
I felt overwhelmed when I first got my discus because the water changes and especially the feeding. Stick to one type of food at first it can take up to two weeks for them to actively look for food. Once you find them eating one type of food introduce a second if you are varying their diets and so onnbefo you know it they are going to be eating slot and sitting at the top of the tank begging for food.

Ambie
JayAlva said:
I felt overwhelmed when I first got my discus because the water changes and especially the feeding. Stick to one type of food at first it can take up to two weeks for them to actively look for food. Once you find them eating one type of food introduce a second if you are varying their diets and so onnbefo you know it they are going to be eating slot and sitting at the top of the tank begging for food.
Water change are ok to me because i use a python and i work from home. I don't mind them taking time to settle in i just worry about the not eating since they need to eat a few times a day.

Would frozen or pellet food be best?
I have frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and bloodworms
For pellet/flakes i have bug bits, vita bites, NLS probiotix ,thera+, spirulina flakes and those tabs that stick to the glass.

JayAlva
Ambie said:
Water change are ok to me because i use a python and i work from home. I don't mind them taking time to settle in i just worry about the not eating since they need to eat a few times a day.

Would frozen or pellet food be best?
I have frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and bloodworms
For pellet/flakes i have bug bits, vita bites, NLS probiotix ,thera+, spirulina flakes and those tabs that stick to the glass.
Well what i did was get them on a dry food first. Once they eat that in my experience they eat anything. I used hikari vibra bites since they're worm shaped. Now they eat anything.

Ambie
JayAlva said:
Well what i did was get them on a dry food first. Once they eat that in my experience they eat anything. I used hikari vibra bites since they're worm shaped. Now they eat anything.
Ok, I brought some of those today.

How where you getting the food to them?
Since I removed the serpaes they have been out more. Only hiding when I get close and the food get swept away in the current to the other side of the tank.

Will they go hunting for it?

JayAlva
Ambie said:
Ok, I brought some of those today.

How where you getting the food to them?
Since I removed the serpaes they have been out more. Only hiding when I get close and the food get swept away in the current to the other side of the tank.

Will they go hunting for it?
I just dropped the food in eventually they will be more hungry than afraid and more actively search for the food. I think it took a month for mine to stop hiding anytime I walked in the room. Now it's completely opposite if they see me in the room they hover at the top waiting to be fed.
Be patient, do your water changes, and they'll come around. Once they do they're very rewarding fish.

Ambie
JayAlva said:
I just dropped the food in eventually they will be more hungry than afraid and more actively search for the food. I think it took a month for mine to stop hiding anytime I walked in the room. Now it's completely opposite if they see me in the room they hover at the top waiting to be fed.
Be patient, do your water changes, and they'll come around. Once they do they're very rewarding fish.
I guess with the daily water changes and a few corys, i don't really have to be too worried about food decaying.

At least i know the hiding and not eating is normal for a while. And they've been exploring the tank once the lights go out.
Wanted to make sure before i started thinking they're sick.

86 ssinit
See the problem with your tank is there are no open spaces on the bottom for the food to lay in. With all the plants the discus will have to search for food. With a bare bottom tank they will see the food. When they get bigger and are used to your water and tank they’ll have no problem finding food. But it’s going to be harder now.
Thing with petco discus is they may not have been eating for days to weeks before you bought them. So you need to give them every opportunity to get food. Next is raise the temperature. This usually gets them eating. You should have a backup tank for qt or if you have to medicate them. Plants and meds don’t do well together. Even salt will kill off plants. And if you want to buy more you will need to qt anything new. You don’t want to cross contaminate them.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
See the problem with your tank is there are no open spaces on the bottom for the food to lay in. With all the plants the discus will have to search for food. With a bare bottom tank they will see the food. When they get bigger and are used to your water and tank they’ll have no problem finding food. But it’s going to be harder now.
Thing with petco discus is they may not have been eating for days to weeks before you bought them. So you need to give them every opportunity to get food. Next is raise the temperature. This usually gets them eating. You should have a backup tank for qt or if you have to medicate them. Plants and meds don’t do well together. Even salt will kill off plants. And if you want to buy more you will need to qt anything new. You don’t want to cross contaminate them.
My temp is currently set to 85-86f. Do i need to go higher?
Would target feed do till i can get them comfortable eating near the top?
I do keep a 20g in storage with a spare sponge in a established tank for qt.
And are 50% daily water changes enough or should i go to 70%?

86 ssinit
70% is better! It’s what you can do. I recommend 50% because most don’t want to do 30. Being petco discus it’s hard for me to give advice. They’re an unknow. Most pet stores don’t feed there fish. It’s just to expensive. If they do it’s not good food. So fish sit in these store for awhile before you get it. Most wholesalers stop feeding before shipping. So it’s been awhile since they’ve eaten. With the amount of water your changing you should be able to get them healthy. I’d say add a tbs of salt every 10g to calm them but that could hurt your plants.
If your up for it move them into the 20. Use tank water from the 55 and some of its media and a peice of wood or something for them to hide behind. Set the temp to 86 and either turn off the light for a day or if it’s a programable led set it very low. Try feeding frozen brime shrimp and freeze dried tubifex worms. Just half or quarter cube ata time. Once there eating and have grown t about 4” or better 5” you can put them back into the 55.
How is your tap water? Have you tested it out of the tap and than after letting it sit for 24hrs. Test for ph,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate and if you can gh and kh. Both before and after 24hrs.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
70% is better! It’s what you can do. I recommend 50% because most don’t want to do 30. Being petco discus it’s hard for me to give advice. They’re an unknow. Most pet stores don’t feed there fish. It’s just to expensive. If they do it’s not good food. So fish sit in these store for awhile before you get it. Most wholesalers stop feeding before shipping. So it’s been awhile since they’ve eaten. With the amount of water your changing you should be able to get them healthy. I’d say add a tbs of salt every 10g to calm them but that could hurt your plants.
If your up for it move them into the 20. Use tank water from the 55 and some of its media and a peice of wood or something for them to hide behind. Set the temp to 86 and either turn off the light for a day or if it’s a programable led set it very low. Try feeding frozen brime shrimp and freeze dried tubifex worms. Just half or quarter cube ata time. Once there eating and have grown t about 4” or better 5” you can put them back into the 55.
How is your tap water? Have you tested it out of the tap and than after letting it sit for 24hrs. Test for ph,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate and if you can gh and kh. Both before and after 24hrs.
I can move them to the 20h and put them in the spare room i have.
How long would they need to be in there?

They've also started eating a little bit of the slow sinking pellets. I'll try leaving the frozen brine shrimp cube floating and see if they go for that. Also they're becoming less afraid of me being near glass and they're swimming in the open more often during the day.

My tap pH: 7.6 / Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate are all zero,
gh is 4-6dgh. I don't remember what my kh is, but i have the test.

Never tested after sitting for 24hrs, So i'll get to that.
Does sitting out for 24hrs give a more accurate test?

86 ssinit
Well sitting just tells you if the water is changing after 24hrs. Some peoples water does a big change most don’t.
If they’re eating leave them be. Like I said they’ve been through a lot in the past couple of weeks. Just have the 20g ready if you need it. I would have an extra sponge in your 55gals filter. So you can quick cycle the 20 if needed.
If you can keep up the water changes it may work in the 55. Discus grow for almost a full 2 yrs. but will do there most growing in the first 6-8months. What I do is daily 50% till around 5” (6montns) than every other day till they hit 6” (8-10months). Than every 2 days.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
Well sitting just tells you if the water is changing after 24hrs. Some peoples water does a big change most don’t.
If they’re eating leave them be. Like I said they’ve been through a lot in the past couple of weeks. Just have the 20g ready if you need it. I would have an extra sponge in your 55gals filter. So you can quick cycle the 20 if needed.
If you can keep up the water changes it may work in the 55. Discus grow for almost a full 2 yrs. but will do there most growing in the first 6-8months. What I do is daily 50% till around 5” (6montns) than every other day till they hit 6” (8-10months). Than every 2 days.
I have sponge filters in my other tanks that have been running for 2yrs for emergencies.
So I'll keep a eye out for any changes than move them if anything start looking off.

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
I did the 24hr test and these are the results, Does anything stick out?

pH: 7.6
High Range pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
GH: 4-5 dgh
KH: 3-4 dkh
Phosphate: 0ppm

86 ssinit
Nope that looks like it was 24hrs before . That’s good you can use your tap water with some prime when changing water. Are you on city water or a well?

Ambie
86 ssinit said:
Nope that looks like it was 24hrs before . That’s good you can use your tap water with some prime when changing water. Are you on city water or a well?
City.
I use prime but I also use fritz complete when I can't find prime.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom