New Cycled Tank With High Nitrate

Amy29

Reaction score
Hello, this is day 4 after done cycling. 20 gallon Topfin
Day 1 after the cycle 80%-90% water change. Threw in 12 endlers
Day2 after the cycle no wc moved 5 shrimps over from my old tank
Day 3 which is today gravel vacuum and 50% wc
And here is the test result
Help why nitrate so high with only very little stocking.

Attachments

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the pic it appears that nitrates are between 5-10 ppm. totally acceptable as around 20 ppm is a good number to aim for on a continuing basis. By that I mean if your nitrates get to 40ppm a 50% water change will take it back to 20ppm provided no nitrates in your water supply. That should work well! Your tank certainly appears to be cycled so I would keep doing regular nitrate checks to determine when a water change is required. good job!

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
From the pic it appears that nitrates are between 5-10 ppm. totally acceptable as around 20 ppm is a good number to aim for on a continuing basis. By that I mean if your nitrates get to 40ppm a 50% water change will take it back to 20ppm provided no nitrates in your water supply. That should work well! Your tank certainly appears to be cycled so I would keep doing regular nitrate checks to determine when a water change is required. good job!
I agree that the nitrate level is fine for fish but I believe OP is asking why they're that high after a 90% change on Day 1, a 50% change on Day 3, and a light stocking.

Amy29

Reaction score
Have you tested your tap water to see if it might have nitrates?
Yes, I have an old 5 months cycled tank and since I was moving fish around. I did test on both tanks. The old one is all good just the new one.

Possibly feeding too much. That will cause a quick raise in nitrate.
I fed them before I did wc, so I think we can rule out that possibility.

I agree that the nitrate level is fine for fish but I believe OP is asking why they're that high after a 90% change on Day 1, a 50% change on Day 3, and a light stocking.
Yes and with very low bio load. Endless are very small fish. About 0.5each.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Amy...

Your nitrates aren't bad at all. Most fish you get at the local pet store will easily tolerate nitrates around 40 ppm. Actually, 60 isn't that bad. If the reading was 100 ppm and remained there for several days, your fish would essentially stop reproducing, but wouldn't die. If you simply remove and replace half the water weekly, you'll maintain a steady water chemistry and that's more important than trying to maintain a particular water chemistry.

Old

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Could you test it for a few consecutive days to see how quickly it rises day over day?

All I can think of is elevated ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in the tap water, excess feeding, and/or high levels of organic waste if you used food to cycle the tank and it's still in the gravel.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amy...

If the tank is established, you just need to remove and replace half the water every week to maintain steady, clean water conditions. If you're faithfully changing this much water weekly and feeding the fish a little every day or two, you'll guarantee your fish good water conditions and never have to test the water.

Old

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First I would say what had been said already I don’t see a problem and I think you should retest. Also, I have to ask did you shake the heck out of the bottles as directed? You might want to try using the test strips as a comparison, and if all else fails, take a sample to your lfs for a second opinion.

Not part of your original question, but you do realize that the chances of your shrimp colony grown is small. Elders will pick off any baby shrimp in very quick order, unless they have a lot of hiding places. Also, putting shrimp in a new tank is not a good practice either, shrimp need a mature and well established tank to thrive. I recommend waiting 4 months before introducing shrimp to a new tank.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My endlers have never troubled my RCS, not even the tiniest shrimplets.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good for you. I personally don’t advocate fish and shrimp in the same tank.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom