New CT betta!! (pics)

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok so I got a new CT, I have not owned a betta in many years, I was much younger and didn't know jack about fish keeping. So you can imagine how long those fish lasted under my care ;\ But several tropical tanks and endless hours of research later I am a new uhh.. hobbyist. A better one anyway. Anywho, I have a 29 planted tank right now and a 10 gallon with lots of baby guppys. I went to petco and to my great surprise they actually had a very good upkeep on their fish and seemed fairly knowledgeable, and on top of that they had a wonderful assortment of crown tails, and double tails, half moons, etc.. I fell in love with two particular ones, a crown tail and a double tail. I literally spent like 35 minutes deciding which one I wan't. The crown tail was very dark and sinister looking and the other double tail was the complete opposite, very large flowy tail, Very bright heavenly colors, pastel rainbow, looked like an angel in comparison. I SOOOO badly wanted to take both, but I couldn't. I don't wan't a divider. And ofcourse I went for the evil lookin fishy. :] I am happy with my choice but it sucked so bad to leave the other one behind. Petco DID have an amazing selection though and perhaps when I invest in another 5-10 gallon I'll try to get my betta's brighter half. anyways.. PICS!! ... (I will be completely rescaping, perhaps live plants, definitely will add some background, I will post better pics then)

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congratulations!

I wish I could say the same about my LFS keeping Bettas. When I stopped by today to get some algae wafers, those bettas weren't as nearly as healthy looking as yours.

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on th new CT

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thank you.. I wanted to plant the tank, what plant's would be good with a betta? also what substrate should I use.. He's really dark torwards the front, and his tail gets kinda bright, I wan't something to make him stand out. I know the green in the plant's will do a fairly good job at that, so i'm just wondering what I should put for sunstrate/background.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Java fern is a really easy plant to grow and my bettas love it, any substrate will work really. I have two small java fern in my tank and I have those flat glass beads. You could also just use regular gravel. And there is a post somewhere saying they used sand to grow the plants in and those glass beads over it so the betta couldn't get to the sand, but I've never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats! He's so beautiful!!!!! I'm gonna have to check out my local Petco or Petsmart anyway(have heard they have live plants there, and want to plant my 29 gal) so I may just have to wander by the Betta section . . .lol. I wouldn't have room for another one unless I put him in a 1 gal, the community, or bought another tank, so I won't be getting one anytime soon . . . . . . . . . . . . I think . . . . . . . . .

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, I don't normally trust petco. I'm just lucky to have found such a well established one. I hope you have the same luck. I suppose the possibility remains that I havn't been there in a while and they made some changed, perhaps to all the stores since they're corporate and what not... so good luck! imma be back soon soon as I buy another 5 gallon. I was also thinking maybe two 2.5 gallons. Is 2.5 too small for betta?

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice boy. I like the bright red/blue.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He's cute! Congrats!

Tigerlily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cute little fella. The Petco closest to me seems to do a decent job with the fish dept... other than trying to sell me non-aquatic bacteria since they don't carry Safe Start. But their fish look healthy and the tanks are clean.

I've got water sprite in a 10 gal (one betta, one lonely oto). Maynard, the betta, lounges in it and it grows like crazy!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
2.5gal will be fine. It's the minimum for a betta, but 5gal is better.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh I love his colors! Congrats!

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thanks.. I love the bright red blue too but more so how it contrasts with the nearly black body.. it's actually a really dark purpley blue ( blurple ) but looks black unless your staring at him up close with sunlight hitting him (I open all my windows soon as I get home from my IT classes).. you guys shoulda seen the other option though, I truely was torn between the two. I just chose this one cause it fits me better, the other one was BEAUTIFUL. Easily one of the most beautiful betta i've seen. I don't regret my choice though. But you KNOW imma be at petco now every time they get a new shipment looking for something similar... hopefully I'll find something that can compare.

Here are some more pics

148.jpg

149.jpg
150.jpg
- Added a few things to his setup so it's not so drab for the time being.

151.jpg
- he actually likes that frog thingy, he hides inside it..

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads