New crowntail betta

Kevin
well, it took me almost 3 hrs of standing in petsmart to convince my parents to let me get a new tank and betta...but he was worth that...and more
he has half red half blue eyes (2nd pic)
the first pic shows his double rays
and I think he has a little black orchid, or black melano in him (the black part on his fins have little black dots running beside the rays, all the way to the ends)

no name yet...but i'm working on it

and of course I will have more pics by this weekend

ricktavious
Great looking betta! And good job talking your parents into letting you get another

Kevin
thanks!

btw, he got a hex 5

Barbrella
OH wow..definitely worth the 3 hours wait. He's awesomely beautiful!!!!

Kevin
here is a cropped pic of his half-red, half-blue eye
the pic doesn't really show the top half well...which is the red half

just caught him flaring!

Butterfly
Awesome fish!! Good going on the 5G for him
Carol

capekate
just caught him flaring!

HI Kevin! Congratulations on your gorgeous betta boy!!
he is Beautiful!! I love all his coloring, especially his black and red in the fins. WOWOW.... Good for you! ;D

~ kate

0morrokh
Wow, he is gorgeous. You're so lucky to find such a good looker at Petsmart. Congrats on the awesome find. I love his eye color.

COBettaCouple
wow, he's a marvellous combtail!

armadillo
He is amazing. Great pick, Kevin. 3 hours well spent!

0morrokh
wow, he's a marvellous combtail!

Whoa I'm confused, I thought combtails had really short ray extentions-??

Kevin
Whoa I'm confused, I thought combtails had really short ray extentions-??
??combtail??
I know he is a double ray ct...is that a combtail?

he has really started to interact w/ me today...guess he finally figured out I was the one that fed him

his body is also turning a deeper red...instead of that brownish red

I have a list of names that I will post later, and have you guys vote on them

thanks for all the compliments guys!

0morrokh
??combtail??
quote]

To me he looked like a double ray. A ct and a combtail are two different things...I always thought combtail meant that the ray extentions were short whereas crowntails have ray extentions around the same length as the main part of the fin. But maybe I am mistaken?

Kevin
I thought combtails were a mix between halfmoons and crowntails...where I got that I have no idea

Here is the list of names!
choose your favorite and let me know
1- Lorendo
2- Tex (after mark teixeria<= braves 1st baseman)
3- Peyton (Peyton Manning) Indy Colts
4- Marvin (Marvin Harrison) " "
5- Reggie (Reggie Wayne) " "

if you have other suggestions, please let me know

ricktavious
I'm a big fan of naming fish after sports teams, apparently (see my thread about how you name bettas). I don't like Peyton, so cross that off. I really like Marvin Harrison though, class act all the way. My vote goes for Marvin or Tex. Don't really like the Braves, but with the red and blue, he is colored like the Braves.

Kevin
sports illustrated ranked peyton the #1 player in the nfl...just thought I would put that out there

Tazmiche
Hey Kevin what a fab choice in a boy!!!! He's one great looker!!you are VERY LUCKY!! Please tell your parents that Michelle ( 37 yr old biddy in uk)thinks that they are wonderful for letting you have such a stunning betta! Kev's ma and pa you are cool!! You have a handsome 'Grandbetta' there!!

capekate
??combtail??
quote]

To me he looked like a double ray. A ct and a combtail are two different things...I always thought combtail meant that the ray extentions were short whereas crowntails have ray extentions around the same length as the main part of the fin. But maybe I am mistaken?

Your betta I believe is a doubleRay CrownTail. You can tell by the spikes that its a crowntail. That's where you got the initials CT from, not combtail.
The double Ray term comes from the shape of the tail fin.On a DoubleRay, the branches that reach out to the end of the tail are split into two branches. You will have to check your guys tail fins and see if the lines
( branches) split into two nearer the end of the tail.
Either way... he is simply gorgeous and I wish you the best with him! ;D

~ kate

ricktavious
sports illustrated ranked peyton the #1 player in the nfl...just thought I would put that out there

I don't care what SI says, I still don't like Peyton Manning

Marvin is the way to go

COBettaCouple
My God, how the NFL has gone downhill!!!! :'(

Kevin
My God, how the NFL has gone downhill!!!! :'(
:;kmg

Your betta I believe is a doubleRay CrownTail. You can tell by the spikes that its a crowntail. That's where you got the initials CT from, not combtail.
The double Ray term comes from the shape of the tail fin.On a DoubleRay, the branches that reach out to the end of the tail are split into two branches. You will have to check your guys tail fins and see if the lines
( branches) split into two nearer the end of the tail.
Either way... he is simply gorgeous and I wish you the best with him! ;D

~ kate

when I typed ct, I meant crowntail...just to lazy to type it out

I was just wondering why dave said it was a combtail...cause I have no idea what that is

I was watching one of the colts games last year, and they were talking about joseph addaI (runnung back)
one of his high school teamates became paralyzed (chest down) after being tackled or tackling someone...cant remember...anyways, so joseph bought him a plane ticket and flew him to indy to see a couple games last year...and he got vip treatment...sideline seats, nice hotel, locker room pas, etc.

I just thought that was a really cool thing to do for someone in that situation

remembering that story really made my day today, so i'm gonna name the new boy Addai

COBettaCouple
lol.. the only qb I hate more than manning is brady... and Romo too. at least manning has character.

a combtail is a type of crowntail when the ribs separate about 1/2 way or more.

Kevin
is that what mine is?
I did notice that addaI had some long rays compared to some of the doub. rays I saw in petco today

little off topic, but the fish guy at my petsmart is now at petco, so now their tanks are looking really good...and they have tons of livebearer babies

COBettaCouple
Rose is the best at judging the tails, but yea, i'm pretty sure he's a combtail.

Kevin
cool

it looks like he caught some eye fungus while in the cup at PS, his right eye is cloudy and and some stringy stuff on it...what should I treat him with?

I went out and got some fungus cure by apI today...think this will help?

COBettaCouple
sounds like cataracts.. an anti-fungal treatment is recommended. fungus clear will dye things blue so take out decorations that you don't want to get dyed. it won't dye everything, but seems to dye a lot of the decor.

Kevin
will it dye plastic plants too?

COBettaCouple
when we used it, we left the plastic plants in and they didn't get dyed, but the were colored plastic and i'm not sure if the meth. blue in the fungus clear wouldn't dye some plastic plants.

Kevin
well, the meds are green now...so his tank looks like a big algae bloom mess
but he seems not to mind it

0morrokh
when we used it, we left the plastic plants in and they didn't get dyed, but the were colored plastic and i'm not sure if the meth. blue in the fungus clear wouldn't dye some plastic plants.
Same, didn't dye my plastic plants, although it leaves blue spots on plants made of soft material... (blanking on the word)...

COBettaCouple
I hope they aren't using malachite green now instead of meth. blue.

silk plants? yea, they'll be dyed by it.

Kevin
yeah, I took his silk plant out and put it in my 29gal.

today will be his second and final dose of the meds...won't do anything tommorrow, and then a 25% water change on thursday should complete his treatment

if this doesn't work, should I do another dose, or try the anti-bacterial meds? or get new meds?

COBettaCouple
it's hard to say for sure without looking at him, it's going to be a judgement call by you as the best judge of what he needs. You may want to try Rid-Fungus if you're going with more anti-fungal treatment. We've used it a few times with excellent results.

yeah, I took his silk plant out and put it in my 29gal.

today will be his second and final dose of the meds...won't do anything tommorrow, and then a 25% water change on thursday should complete his treatment

if this doesn't work, should I do another dose, or try the anti-bacterial meds? or get new meds?

Kevin
okay...i'll keep that one in mind

chickadee
Now I know that the IBC and I will have differences on this little guy but I am going to say that by the information that I have from sources not associated with the IBC and fairly knowledgeable in the field of betta, that he is a double ray combtail. The IBC does not like combtails but I think they are beautiful and they try to make them the stepchildren of the Crowntails but they are a totally different animal. The personality of most combtails is sweeter and more docile and they are usually very loving. The Crowntails tend more toward spunk and feisty personalities. They are harder to develop a rapport with and can be naughty to tankmates. This is not only what I have read and talked to other betta owners about (here abouts) and my friends who are vets, but my own experience with my many bettas in my fishkeeping life. The combtails are just too different to be simply a "not up to standards" Crowntail.

Rose

0morrokh
Ok now I'm confused. What's the difference between a crowntail and a combtail?

COBettaCouple
yea, combtails are definitely a class of their own!

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
Awww! Hes so cute!! He reminds me of my crowntail Oscar. His colors do. Cute!

Miley

Kevin
thanks for the info rose!
now that I knoe the difference between crowns and combs, i'm thinking roscoe is also a comb.

thanks miley!

update: his eye is looking decent, i'm gonna try doing 10% daily water changes for a week or so, and see if that helps, if that doesn't do anything I will try another cycle of fungus cure

I got a blue hamster cave for him...he doesn't seem to interested in it, he just like to swim in the current from the filter, and chase bubbles that come out of the filter

COBettaCouple
yea, they each have toys they like & toys they have no interest in. KairI loves her castle and took to it right away, but when Angel had it, she ignored it completely.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views
Iverg1
Replies
Views
ItsLadyJadey
Top Bottom