new Corys, but i forgot something important..

ir0kz

Reaction score
yay, I'm so happy I got my new corys. they are so cute. I believe both are female..they're peppered Corys.I just got them today from walmart because I needed some new plants for my betta Muhammed. that's when I saw the cory..it looked exotic. liek a baby shark! I don't know, I was impressed with its features. what also made me more intrigued was that is was a bottom feeder. [which I need] and a perfect companion for my mean betta. he's so spoiled. I had ghost shrimp before but in a couple of days I couldnt find them anymore..they dissapeared. I think Muhammed ate them or something! but now I feel dumb...because there's one thing I forgot.. :-[

I was so excited to leave walmart satisfied that I forgot my new babie's algae wafers! they're not really eating betta food. well, because they're not bettas. I tried to give them some freeze dried blood worms, but that didnt work because they didnt sink to the bottom and they can't get them. then I tried sun dried shrimp..? lol, didnt work either. so I crushed up some TetraMin Tropical Fish pellets and one of my babes ate one micro sized crumb..but that's it. I don't know, I'm scared. will they die over night? I'm going to get some real Cory food for them tomorrow night. do you think they will hold up until then? because I know they are greedy little suckers and stay hungry. also should I put them in the tank with my betta now, or wait until I get algae wafers so that I can still try to feed them separate from Muhammed..? I need feedback tonight pleeeease.

thank you, and I love reading what you guys have to say. I'm such a Geek. :

justhelping

Reaction score
Your corys will be fine without food irOkz. Many people go on a week vacation & leave their fish without food & they do fine during that week. I'm not sure what "tropical fish pellets" are but they eat just about anything that falls to the bottom. Also, when you go to buy them algae wafers, you could buy them some sinking shrimp pellets as they love them also, unless that's what you mean by tropical fish pellets? Anyway, there's no need to crush them up, just drop one in & they will begin working on it. They should eat any veggie that you are able to get to sink in there. I heard blanching helps them to sink. They love a pinch of a green bean, or blanched cucumber or a piece of squash. Even a tiny piece of meat will work. I put a piece of chicken in my tank occasionally when we have it. Just remember that a fishes stomach is about the size of it's eye, so don't overfeed.

You can put them in with the betta anytime. He might be a little aggressive with them at first, as that is HIS tank. But it should wear off with no damage being done. Corys are schooling fish & like to be with a lot of their own kind, so the more of them you can have in your tank, the happier they will be. But you didn't say what size your tank was, so there may not be room for any more.

I wish you good luck with your new fishies! I hope they get settled in without causing you too much stress.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Your corys will be fine until you get the wafers. Try and get a good brand like HikarI or Omega One if you can. There are differences in quality in fish food also. I would not put them in with your betta until they have been quarantined for at least 2 weeks. This will make sure they don't carry any sickness to other fish. WalMart fish are notorious for that, so it's a good idea to make sure they are healthy before introducing them to the betta tank.

You can also look into getting different food sticks like spirulina or earthworm sticks for variety. They sink, so your corys will eat them. Also, corys (at least mine do) love tubifex worms, but that is something you only feed once a week because they are very fatty and messy. Try and get a good brand of these also. Mine wouldn't touch the Wardley brand, but love the HikarI and Omega Omega one tubifex cubes. You smash them against the glass just above the gravel line and your corys will probably go apey. Your betta will probably enjoy the variety of different foods also, eventhough they don't float and are on the gravel.

OP
I

ir0kz

Reaction score
ohh thanks alot! well last night I put my corys in the tank with my betta. my betta was liek who da BLEEP are you. and his gills under his mouth flared out. but my corys kept swimming back and forth with Muhammed. I think Muhammed thinks they are his little kids now or something. I fed them some peas that I had. I read on here somewhere that you can thaw them out in tank water. so I did! they didnt eat it while I was staring into the tank..so I grabbed me a bowl of cereal and came back, it was gone! that should hold them for now. just until I get shrimp pellets and all the other snacks. I had a question about live food..what live food can my Corys and Betta both enjoy? and I don't know about getting another Cory because those two I have are so close to each other. maybe a third one might be alone..and I don't want to push so many new fishies on Muhammed. [he's already jealous]. oh yeah, I only have a 2.5 gallon. but it's really cute! my temp stays around 74 is that ok? I have brownish gravel that's not sharp. I have a new cave I just put in there last night. its new to Muhammed..he doesn't even know its a cave I don't think. but the Corys sure found it! I also have a corner made up with about four tree like fake plants. I'm growing some real aquarium plants now though. the theme of my tank is a forest. lol, corny? but I say this because the cave is a tree stump with holes and grass. then the trees in the corner are all foresty color. and bunched up. I love it!  :-*

I know I write alot, but I'm so excited! so now I just need to know what live food to get, and what fresh veggies can they eat..? and about the meat, can it be seasoned, cooked and all when I feed them it? or should it be raw?

P.S I named them last night..the more spotted one I named Mello. and the one with less spots I named Hyphen.
Mello because she's more mello than the other.
Hyphen because she's more hyper. so I made the name alittle more interesting. Hyphen, isn't that a punctuation mark!?
hehe.

justhelping

Reaction score
Oh sorry irOkz, Gunnie is right about putting your fish in a quarantine tank first. I guess I just wasn't thinking this am. & for some reason I thought they were still in the bag you bought them in cause you didn't have a quarantine tank?

You have so many questions & I'm doubtful on some, so I will just leave those answers up to the experts. But it sounds like your tank is really cute! I like the forest look & I bet your cories do like that stump, as they like to hide away sometimes.

I'm glad your excited about your tank & fish. That's the way it's supposed to be!

- that dash I just made is a hyphen. And you're right, that does make a cute name!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your tank is much too cold for a Betta. They need a minimum of 78, and 80 is best. Otherwise they will be cold and lethargic, and more suseptible to cold water diseases such as ich and velvet.

Cories don't really go for vegetables...mainly they like meaty stuff. Shrimp pellets, and the things Gunnie recommended, are the best Cory foods.

I don't know about live foods since I don't use them. They can tend to carry diseases. tHey do make a nice treat though.

OP
I

ir0kz

Reaction score
ohh man. I guess I need to get a bigger better heater then.. ??? and alsoooo, can the meat be cooked and seasoned, or raw?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yes you definitely have to have a heater for tropical fish. It not only keeps their tank an acceptable temp, but keeps the temp from fluctuating, which is very stressful for fish. A recommended heater brand is the Marineland Whisper heater.

Um...fish can't like eat actual meat...I meant Cories like store bought fish foods that contain meat such as Shrimp pellets.

justhelping

Reaction score
Whoa "fish can't eat like actual meat"

I have to respectfully disagree with you there Omorrokh. I feed all my fish real meat occasionally. I have fed cooked fish, shrimp, chicken & turkey, but not anything with a lot of fat like ham or hamburger. I take a very small piece out from the middle of the meat, so as not to get any of the seasoned outside. All the fish love it & really scarf up on it. I've even fed a little bit of cooked egg. I'm not sure if it does them any good or not, but I was thinking a little fresh meat might be good for them. If anything, I don't think it does any harm & they sure love it!

I would like to hear more thoughts on this subject. Does anybody else feed real meat to their fish??

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
I haven't but then I mostly keep small fish. You are right, you can feed them seafoods and some lean poultry in small amounts, but I would recommend that only for definitely carnivorous fish.

Corys will adore both algae and shrimp pellets and in fact it is not a bad idea to give them a mix, give them say 3 algae pellets to 4 shrimp pellets (if they're small) If their main tankmate is a betta then they're not going to be scavenging too much.

Be advised: the shrimp pellets may taste good to the betta. My former betta loved them and I had to be careful not to overfeed him because of it. He would also chase the corys away from their food. It might be a good idea to feed them at night when he's less active.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish are certainly able to eat meat but I have not heard of anyone feeding it with the exception of beef heart in a few cases. I do not know if meat is good for them or not. Certainly nothing seasoned though.

OP
I

ir0kz

Reaction score
that's interesting about the different types of food they can eat. they are liek humans in so many ways. and they carry so many different personalities! so I'm thinking about gettin a new tank..maybe a 5 gallon or 10. either way it goes, how do I do the cycling process.

and do I absolutely HAVE to cycle it? I never have before..why do I have to cycle it? I'm a loser, I know. but a soon to be fish expert! so help me out here, I love fishes..I need to know this stuff.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm glad you want to learn
Whenever you add fish to a tank, it goes through the nitrogen cycle. It isn't something you "do", it's somehting that naturally happens. The problem is that while the tank is still cycling the fish are exposed to high levels of toxins which can be fatal, and will harm them in the long term. To prevent them from suffering you can get the tank to go through the nitrogen cycle without actually adding the fish yet. You add ammonia or fish flakes (which rot to produce ammonia) to the water, which is basically the same as what would happen if you put fish in there--they would eat and produce ammonia waste. This triggers the growth of the bacteria which "eat" the ammonia and turn it into nitrite, and then bacteria which "eat" the nitrite and turn it into nitrate (which is not harmful as long as it is below 20). Once the process is done you add fish to the tank and they never have to experience dangerous toxin levels because the bacteria has already grown and immediately converts the ammonia into less harmful nitrate.
In the stickied post "Fishlore Articles for Beginners" there is a link to an article on how exactly to cycle fishless.

New Threads