New Cory!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to announce that I just got myself an albino cory! He doesn't have a name yet, I want to let my best friend name him. He's in my little tank (5g) with two female guppies, who I also just got today. I'm very excited.

I didn't do any research on corries before I bought this one (My rm and I went fish shopping today and since we didn't know what we would see that we liked; we couldn't research them first). The lady at the store said he would be fine on his own - here I've read that they should be kept in groups. Should I/could I (considering small tank size) get another? If yes, could I get a panda cory instead of another albino (I like to be able to tell my fish apart)? If it would be a bad idea to put another fish in the little tank, will he be ok by himself?

Thanks!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations, I have only seen pictures of them, but they look like very interesting little fish. I have an albino Betta and I think albino fish are really interesting. The behaviors of the species are entirely different, and you have to remember to give them plenty of hiding places as sometimes light bothers them a lot. Their eyes do not have the pigment to protect them from the glare and strength of the light rays.

Rose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
oo, hadn't thought of the light thing. He's small enough now to get under the larger rocks that I have as part of my substrate, but I only have one plant in the tank. Next time I go to Wal Mart I'll buy him something else to hide in. He should be OK for now, the tank is behind my bigger tank so it doesn't get much intense light.

On another note - an albino betta!? Wow!!!! Where did you find one of those!?

flameangelfan

Reaction score
Hello, hope you are enjoying your fishy friends!
A 5 gal. tank is quite small, but 2 guppies and 2-3 cory's wouldn't scare me at all; however, I wouldn't suggest adding anything else. Also, how old is the tank? Has it gone through it's nitrogen cycle? You should consider not adding anything else until that cycle has completed itself. Also be sure to test your water parameters often (maybe every other, or every third) day for a month or so to be sure major fluxuations have subsided. Cory's are very peaceful community fish. The only way you could have too many is if the tank is becoming overpopulated or has a smaller bottom surface area. I have personally experienced much success with mixing different kinds together as well. Hope this helps! Happy fish keeping!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
the tank is fully cycled, it has actually been in use for a few months, with bettas (I used it to try to breed aoSul and Deisy most recently, prior to that it was aoSul's isolation area, before that Notus was in there but he didn't like it). Instead of completely emptying the tank and having to re-cycle it, I chose to simply do a partial water change.

I believe I will put some serious consideration into adding another cory of a different type once my current three have become well settled. Now, what kind to get... .

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Corys can manage fine on their own or with just one companion. I actually only have two right now because my betta harassed the other two till they died of anxiety, I think. (one of a bite or something)
They're fun little critters, they roll their eyes and dart about and hunt busily for food. If you ever do put your cory in a bigger community tank with some friends you will find that their schooling behavior is fun and interesting to watch.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The albino corys are really cool! Those are the ones that spawned for me one will probably be ok alone but if your going to add one or two more please add the same kind. They are really active when theres more than one in the tank.
Mine decorate the glass of their tank everytime it rains or after huge water changes. I just can't say enough good things about them.
carol

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol, I promised my best friend that he could name one of my fish. He chose to name the cory Amaethon. Its a Celtic god of something or other.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom