New Cory...really red belly?!?!

Bhopkins1311
Just bought cory.. Hes still in bag I notice his belly is really red. Petsmart doesn't take good care of there fish at all. Is he okay. Sorry for all cory posts.

Attachments

• 1453857531021.jpg
    1453857531021.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 1453857550137.jpg
    1453857550137.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 189
Advertisement
Anders247
It could be ammonia poisoning.

el337
Not sure but I'd return him or put him in QT for a few weeks before introducing to your main tank.

Advertisement
Aquatica88
I'd take him back - that doesn't look good. Petsmart tends to be hit-or-miss in terms of having healthy fish, and it depends largely on the humans who run each individual store. I personally prefer smaller, locally-owned specialty stores, but I know not everyone has them in their area.

Greenplant
They tend to throw them in with any kind of Gravel. It's just my opinion but Petsmart and Walmart are neck and neck for the worst place to buy fish. I know some people are stuck you really have to look. I volunteer in the adoption for cats dept and I always pass the fish dept and I say a pray for all there fish.

Advertisement
Bhopkins1311
Do you think with good care be alright

lovesLC
I have taken home some pretty beat up looking Corys and mine have all recovered.
Do you have a QT tank? I personally would keep him. But I'm a sucker for distressed Corys I guess. I seem to have several that had a rough start, lol
He may have been housed in bad water conditions. Toxins start to build up from the bottom, right where the little Corys are. He might just need good water and substrate in a QT tank if you have it.

Advertisement
Peacefantasy
I agree with lovesLC.
Petsmart has a 14 day policy. If he doesn't make it, take him back.
But id definitely try to save his life..

Thunder_o_b
Corys can be very sensitive to water quality. But keep in mind that a drastic change in water parameters (even if for the better) can be harmful. Fish like this should be drip acclimated to the tanks water. And definitely quarantine this fish.

Advertisement
DoubleDutch
Red could mean two things I'd say : ammonia / nitrite or a bacterial issue.
I'd bring it back asap.
Btw : do you have other Corys or is this the only one ?

Bhopkins1311
I have 3 corys now.. 2 before..and 1 I got yesterday.. I don't have quarantine tank and before I saw all this I put him in water I have been keeping eye on him though and he seems alright

DoubleDutch
Can you make another pic ?

Bhopkins1311
Yea when I get off work ill try to get another pic

DoubleDutch
Yea when I get off work ill try to get another pic

Oops an 48-hours shift ?? Hahaha

Bhopkins1311

Attachments

• 1454119027746.jpg
    1454119027746.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 130
Greenplant
He looks good to me but then again I can't see his belly. Have you had Cories in that tank before besides the two others and how do they look?

Bhopkins1311
They look close to him he just doesn't swim arround much

el337
I'd fill out your cory shoals. He may feel a bit more at ease if there was a larger group. Is he eating? Have you been able to see if the redness has gone?

Bhopkins1311
I do think the redness is gone

Peacefantasy
How many cories do you have?

Bhopkins1311
3 peppered 2 juhlis

Greenplant
Sorry in advance for the long post. Most should be use to it by now. I try can't help myself

I'll tell you what I noticed in my tank. I had a few cories pass since last August so to replace them being somewhat a rookie (Better, but still am) went to the LFS and replaced them. After the problems I had and the re-homing of fish I had 6 Cories left. I watch my fish very closely every day I truly enjoy it and I look for tendencies do my research and I'm better for it.

Okay lets get to the point. I have 2 Peppered and 4 False julii's. I noticed that a JuliI or two would swin with Big Daddy spotted for a while But when the lights come on in the morning and I check I would see the 4 Julii's swim the front of the tank together. When it was time to rest the 4 julli's would rest together and the 2 spotted would rest together.

They all got along but when it was time to group hug they stood with there own. So I went out and bought 4 more spotted and 2 more Julli's (In the QT now release date my Bday the 27th of Feb.) wanted 10 anyway and I have room for 12. No sure how big your tank is but I would suggest if you could get at least 1or better 2 peppered and 2 julli's or better 3 julli's. I mean if you could only get 1 more get a julli. It may be nothing but I've noticed they seem to stay with there own species when it's time to rest or get a little stressed during WC's

Best of luck I'm glad things worked out and your Cory is Beautiful and very Healthy looking.

Bhopkins1311
I plan on haveing at least 4 or 5 of each then lfs restocks

DoubleDutch
That's better indeed.
Think it has some serious growing to do !! It had a bit of a strange shape, but could be cause it is quite young.
Take care it is getting enough protein!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Drion
Replies
Views
Nikki2577
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question