New Cories!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by alink, Jul 25, 2015.

1. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

So I was just at Petco getting stuff for our new cat that we are getting on Monday and I took a walk through the fish section. Compared to the last time I was there, I saw much better looking tanks. 0 dead fish, 0 fish with fin rot or damaged fins, no arowana in a 10 gallon tank. So after careful close inspection I was debating between some Brochis Splendins and Albino Aeneus. I went with 8 Albino Aeneus. They are acclimating now and will be released shortly. I will get some pics tomorrow when the light is on. I just hope they dont bring something into the tank that will infect my current stock. I dont have a QT tank that is usable at this time. I have a 20L but no heater or filter.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Congrats! Pictures? :)

3. OP
    OP
    alink

:) Thank you!

4. BornThisWayBettas

Lol, guess I missed that part haha! Still though, I think cories look great with the lights on or off! :D

5. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You have a Petco that sells arowana? Off topic, sorry...

6. OP
    OP
    alink

Last time I was there they had two 5-6" Silver Arowana in separate 10 gallon tanks with Mbuna cichlids... and they were asking $50 a piece for them. I wonder if they sold them or they died...

7. OP
    OP
    alink

Hard to get good pics of these guys lol.. I got 3, they aren't that good though.. they move to fast!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

8. BornThisWayBettas

Aw, sooooo cute!!! :D Congratulations!!! :)

9. OP
    OP
    alink

Thanks! I found one in one of the plants this morning and i tapped on the glass a couple times and it didnt move so I was like "uh oh, not already..." I got my algae scrubber and moved the plant a little to see if it moved. It didnt, so I moved a little closer to it, moving the branch that it was on and it shot out of there like a bullet . So all are still alive after the first night. I just hope they all make it because its a half hour drive to get a replacement....

10. BornThisWayBettas

Lol, I know that feeling haha! Glad he's okay. :)

11. OP
    OP
    alink

hmm... in the 3rd pic I posted, does that one have red gills that could be from ammonia or something like that?

12. BornThisWayBettas

What's your water parameters? Sometimes, I notice that my julii cories have a sort reddish "blush" around their gills, don't know if that's the same thing or not, though.

13. OP
    OP
    alink

I havent tested the water since wednesday when I did a water change. I guess I will do an ammonia check just to see if it up from the addition of the 8 cories. Will post back when I get results in..

14. BornThisWayBettas

15. OP
    OP
    alink

Yeah I gotta do another water change..

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

16. BornThisWayBettas

Yeah, it's between 0ppm and 0.25ppm, right? Is the cory with the red gills acting weird?

17. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

18. OP
    OP
    alink

I read the ammonia to be .50 to 1.0 ppm.. but I am somewhat color blind, nitrates were 40-60, it stays between 40 and 80 all the time because my tap water has 20-40 ppm.
    I dont notice anything that seems to be odd behavior. This is the first time I have owned Cories but from what I know about them, they are acting normal.
    I changed out about 22 gallons.
    I added double dose of Prime and a double dose of Stability.
    I tried to suck up as much detritus as possible.

Post water change results:

pH 7.8
    Ammonia 0/.25 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 30 ppm (between 20 and 40)
    Temp 80

19. BornThisWayBettas

Maybe you could post a video of them and I could give you my opinion on their behavior, if you wanted?

Yeah, your test didn't look like it had 1.0ppm ammonia to me, that's for sure. It looked more like it was between 0ppm and 0.25ppm, maybe it was just the lighting though.

20. OP
    OP
    alink

I will if this doesnt solve it or I see anything that is not normal. They are mostly just cruising around the tank digging in the sand, some are swimming in the mid level but not all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice