New convict cichlid fry

sassy.pa.gal
I just won a bid for some convict fry. Can anybody give me any helpful advice? They are gonna have their own tank, that much I know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. x

Liz :;hurryb

Sam Livingston
Just curious, where did you win auction for convict fry? Can't help you though, sorry never had convicts.

sassy.pa.gal
I won the bid on aquabid.com

Shawnie
shoulda told me I only have a few hundred LOL...and how many did you get? they are fun fish..but if you get a matting pair, watch out!! they can take on the world

sassy.pa.gal
shoulda told me I only have a few hundred LOL...and how many did you get? they are fun fish..but if you get a matting pair, watch out!! they can take on the world

LOL. I got ten of them. Do you have any advice for me. What kind of enviroment do they like? Regular Aquarium gravel? What water condition do they need? Any help would be great. Thanks.
By the way, I think your the one whose pictures I looked at and fell in love with your convict fish. That's when I started looking for them. Actually, I think you were talking about yours, and I ended up looking them up. That's how I fell in love with them. But it was still b/c of you. Thanks for that. How do you pronounce chiclids? Thanks.

Shawnie
LOL. I got ten of them. Do you have any advice for me. What kind of enviroment do they like? Regular Aquarium gravel? What water condition do they need? Any help would be great. Thanks.
By the way, I think your the one whose pictures I looked at and fell in love with your convict fish. That's when I started looking for them. Actually, I think you were talking about yours, and I ended up looking them up. That's how I fell in love with them. But it was still b/c of you. Thanks for that. How do you pronounce chiclids? Thanks.

well I can give you advice on mine, whether or not its correct, who knows LOL...

I have a mating pair with fry and they were in a community tank...but once they mate, they will kill ANY other fish that comes near them...or harrass the heck outta them till they dry from stress...so I'm sure out of the ten you got, you will have some pairs...and they breed like rabbits...they are one of the easiest fish ive ever kept ...my guys have a **** cave, a froggie figurine with a cavelike hole, tall fake plants and a med size bubble wand...they laid their eggs in the froggie cave and they tend to the babies up until they lay again...the babies are still in the tank with mom n dad and are aprox 2-3 months old...my water is well water and to be honest, I only test for ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates...I never have checked for hardness or ph...in any of my tanks for that matter ....heres a pic of the convict tank I just took...and as far as cichlids, I use to pronounce it CHICKLIDS but its more like SICKLIDS LOL

sassy.pa.gal
well I can give you advice on mine, whether or not its correct, who knows LOL...

I have a mating pair with fry and they were in a community tank...but once they mate, they will kill ANY other fish that comes near them...or harrass the heck outta them till they dry from stress...so I'm sure out of the ten you got, you will have some pairs...and they breed like rabbits...they are one of the easiest fish ive ever kept ...my guys have a **** cave, a froggie figurine with a cavelike hole, tall fake plants and a med size bubble wand...they laid their eggs in the froggie cave and they tend to the babies up until they lay again...the babies are still in the tank with mom n dad and are aprox 2-3 months old...my water is well water and to be honest, I only test for ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates...I never have checked for hardness or ph...in any of my tanks for that matter ....heres a pic of the convict tank I just took...and as far as cichlids, I use to pronounce it CHICKLIDS

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. I didn't see any pictures on your last reply, but I looked up your profile and saw your convict pair. Are they black and white? the only ones i've been able to find are a purple and black color. Your's are beautiful. I'll keep you posted on how mine are doing once I get them home. By the way, do they prefer a certain temperature? Thanks again.

Shawnie
I keep all my tanks about 78-79 but with summer coming, I go through a lot of ice cubes keeping them cooled off can't wait to see your convicts!! and yes I forgot to attach the pic but I edidted it

sassy.pa.gal
They are beautiful. Your tank is beautiful too too. I can't wait to get mine. Thanks for all your advice. I do appreciate it. I'll get you some pictures as soon as they get here. Thanks again.

Shawnie
your welcome !!

what size tank are they going to call home ?

sassy.pa.gal
your welcome !!

what size tank are they going to call home ?

25 gallon. Is that gonna be big enough? Thanks

Shawnie
It won't be if you have them pair up..and the likelyhood is out of 10, you are probably going to have a pair...but you will have some time to enjoy them depending on their age..like I said, mine are a few months old and fun as heck to watch grow...

what ideas of aquascaping are you doing?

sassy.pa.gal
I don't have any idea yet. What do you recomend?

Shawnie
Other than making sure you have some cavelike areas, clay pot or some decoration with a tunnell is great, its all up to what theme you want...its so fun starting a new tank and theme isn't it!!

sassy.pa.gal
I'm not sure what i'm gonna do, but I'll send you a picture when I get it done, and the fish are in their new home. Thanks for all your help.

plecomaniac
hey I just got three convicts for my 35 gallon bowfront tank, and I was wondering, when they have babies, what should I feed them?

sassy.pa.gal
hey I just got three convicts for my 35 gallon bowfront tank, and I was wondering, when they have babies, what should I feed them?

You gotta ask Shawnie about that one. she's the pro with those guys. good luck.

Shawnie

Congrats...they are fun fish...but, if you get a mating pair, they will kill or stress the oddball one so be careful...as far as feeding my fry, they get crushed pellets, frozen brine shrimp, & bloodworms...same as the parents only in small portions ...we love pix!!!

psss have you got yours yet sassy.pa?

plecomaniac
oh really? the babies just eat like crushed up ones? ok I gotcha! yes I will definitly try to get some pics up soon. I just got to figure out how!

oh ok ! thanks!!! I will definitly post some picks as soon as I can. I'm not really a computer person and I'm still adjusting the rocks in my tank, but I will for sure get you some picks.

sassy.pa.gal
Congrats...they are fun fish...but, if you get a mating pair, they will kill or stress the oddball one so be careful...as far as feeding my fry, they get crushed pellets, frozen brine shrimp, & bloodworms...same as the parents only in small portions ...we love pix!!!

psss have you got yours yet sassy.pa?

No, not yet. He was delayed in replying to me, so he said he would send me extras to make up for it. I can't wait!

sassy.pa.gal
It won't be if you have them pair up..and the likelyhood is out of 10, you are probably going to have a pair...but you will have some time to enjoy them depending on their age..like I said, mine are a few months old and fun as heck to watch grow...

what ideas of aquascaping are you doing?

Hey Shawnie. I started decorating my tank today. I put some shells in there, and was wondering if you could tell me if they are gonna be safe for my little ones, and if I should remove them once they get bigger? The one shell is a bit smaller then a football, it is one that spirals on the inside. Will the fish get stuck in it? The other shell i'm worried about is in the shape of a circle and about the size of the bottom of a can. It also spirals in. Please let me know. I'll attach some pictures, not sure if they will help though. Thanks so much!

PS. I'm not done decorating yet... LOL

Shawnie
HI sass! no way its looking great!!!! id add a few more plants and then I think it would be perfect..they hide a lot in plants and seem to feel safer....I so can't wait to see them..they are going to love it I'm sure!

sassy.pa.gal
HI sass! no way its looking great!!!! id add a few more plants and then I think it would be perfect..they hide a lot in plants and seem to feel safer....I so can't wait to see them..they are going to love it I'm sure!

Thanks Shawnie. I will be sure to send you pictures as soon as I get them in there. Thanks for all your help.

Shawnie
Thanks Shawnie. I will be sure to send you pictures as soon as I get them in there. Thanks for all your help.

Your very welcome...I still wish I knew you wanted some LOL...id have gladly given you as many as you wanted

here's a vid I just took of mine ...they get their last feeding when I get home ...spoiled thangs!

sassy.pa.gal
They are beautiful. Your tank is amazing. I just can't wait to get my little guys... and girls in mine.

napoleon wrasse queen
I have 2 Honduran Red Points (related to the convict) which I got from a friend who has a bunch. What I've noticed is even as babies they are NOT shy. They swim up to the glass and won't shy away if you put your finger on it, unlike my other fish. Also, They can be aggressive towards other fish when breeding, but I guess since you have them separated it shouldn't happen. They are also incredibly easy to breed. And the females usually grow faster then the males. Hope this helps!!!

sassy.pa.gal
any information helps. Thank you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
AquaMan3640
Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0