New Co2 System For The 125 Gallon.

Dave125g
Thought I'd give you guys some information on my new CO2 system. Here is a list of the equipment and cost.
Aquatek regulator. 79.99 includes bubble counter/check valve.
Insta max reactor 13.00
400 GPH Power head. 15.00
20 ounce paintball CO2 cylinder 25.00
CO2 refill 10 bucks.
If anyone has any questions just ask.
0516181301.jpg
0516181301b.jpg
0516181301a.jpg
0516181301d.jpg

Fanatic
Outstanding! That must be really exciting, Dave

RedLoredAmazon
Very neat! Following in case I decided to do CO2.

Dave125g
It is. I bet my plants are happy about it.

Letsfish
I put off setting up a CO2 system for almost a year but finally caved in and did it. It took me a little while to get everything dialed in but now I`m good to go. My plant growth is much better but what I am happy about the BBA is almost completely gone and my 29-gallon tank was a mess with it.

Dave125g
Very neat! Following in case I decided to do CO2.
The upfront cost made me hesetent, but to refill the cylinder is only 10 bucks. It should last a few months.
I put off setting up a CO2 system for almost a year but finally caved in and did it. It took me a little while to get everything dialed in but now I`m good to go. My plant growth is much better but what I am happy about the BBA is almost completely gone and my 29-gallon tank was a mess with it.
Yea I'm very happy with the results in the 10 gallon. I had to do it in the 125.

TexasGuppy
Sports Authority will refill that tank for like $3.99 - I have the exact same one. How are you injecting the CO2 into the power head? Right now, I'm using a reactor, but I think it's slowing down my Fluval 406 too much and might separate it.

tfreema
Following to learn. Dare I take the plunge?

And is there a way to set things up on multiple tanks using the same equipment??

TexasGuppy
Yes, you can feed multiple tanks by splitting the tube.

Lchi87
Also following to learn. Well done Dave!

shutterbug13
Following! Would you use the same equipment for a smaller tank (other than the powerhead, I assume I would want something much smaller for my 29 gallon)? What lights are you running on your tank? And ferts?

Dave125g
Sports Authority will refill that tank for like $3.99 - I have the exact same one. How are you injecting the CO2 into the power head? Right now, I'm using a reactor, but I think it's slowing down my Fluval 406 too much and might separate it.
I have the CO2 line going right into the reactor.
Following! Would you use the same equipment for a smaller tank (other than the powerhead, I assume I would want something much smaller for my 29 gallon)? What lights are you running on your tank? And ferts?
You can use the same regulator and cylinder, but you may want a smaller reactor or difuser in a smaller tank. I only use seachem root tabs. Most of my plants are root feeders. I have a 4 foot florescent light bar with a single 32 watt 6500 k bulb. And 2 5000 k bulbs on either side.
0124180604-1.jpg

jenmur
Is the CO2 running 24/7? Or does it turn off at some point?

SFGiantsGuy
I agree, good job sir. Looks like you probably didn't even need a tank adaptor/diffuser adaptor either! : ) Yeah instead of $10-12 per refill, you can also check out and see if you have some hopefully local beverage/beer vendor/distributors, as for about 5 minutes of your time, they can refill usually up to a 5 lb. canister of CO2 for about $2-3. And sometimes bigger! There's a beer keg place that has an overabundance of CO2 and they refill mine for about $3. Word to the wise, I used to be on a paintball team. And Tippman is old school and very reliable, but do be sure to keep a very close eye on your tank's O-ring. I've had a few actually snap right off during removal and insertion on Tippman tanks.

Dave125g
Is the CO2 running 24/7? Or does it turn off at some point?
It is suppose to turn off with the lights. That's what the selonoid does. I have it plugged in to the timer. You don't want to run it with the lights out. Plants don't use CO2 during lights out.
I agree, good job sir. Looks like you probably didn't even need a tank adaptor/diffuser adaptor either! : ) Yeah instead of $10-12 per refill, you can also check out and see if you have some hopefully local beverage/beer vendor/distributors, as for about 5 minutes of your time, they can refill usually up to a 5 lb. canister of CO2 for about $2-3. And sometimes bigger! There's a beer keg place that has an overabundance of CO2 and they refill mine for about $3. Word to the wise, I used to be on a paintball team. And Tippman is old school and very reliable, but do be sure to keep a very close eye on your tank's O-ring. I've had a few actually snap right off during removal and insertion on Tippman tanks.
Thanks. I will look into a more cost effective option to refill. I am kind of limited on places to get this refilled. I found 2 refill places near me.

I mounted the tank on the wall. I built a small shelf and used an old belt to secure it. Here is a shot of the tank too.
0516181919.jpg
0516181858-1.jpg

jenmur
Dave125g. Ah ok. That makes sense.
Belt: you shall not move tank!!

MatthewContri
How may BPS are you running with that 20oz? I am running a 24oz with 4 bps and the co2 lasted 4 days.

Dave125g
How may BPS are you running with that 20oz? I am running a 24oz with 4 bps and the co2 lasted 4 days.
Wow only 4 days? I'm running about the same. Are you running it over night? Is there posably a leak?

TexasGuppy
I'd say leak. I run my 24oz 7 hours a day 3bps and it lasts at least 3-4 weeks.

Dave125g
I'd say leak. I run my 24oz 7 hours a day 3bps and it lasts at least 3-4 weeks.
That was my thoughts as well. Unless he's talking about those little 20 gram systems. I have that too and at 3 bps it only lasts 3-4 days.

Also, the system does turn off when plugged into a timer. I'm really liking this system.

tfreema
Dave, for those of us who are totally ignorant to this, can you go into the first thread and insert above each picture what it is? Sorry, I just don't know what is the reactor and what is the regulator. The rest seems pretty common sense, but maybe not.

Also, can anyone with experience give their opinion on a setup for a 125g tank on whether you would use a diffuser or regulator? And if regulator, what are the pros and cons in using an inline running from a canister filter versus an in tank? It looks like Dave has an in-tank regulator, if I am understanding the pictures above.

Letsfish
Following to learn. Dare I take the plunge?

And is there a way to set things up on multiple tanks using the same equipment??
If you are planning to use a solenoid controlled by a timer you will have to split the co2 coming out of the solenoid manifold. I have 3 ports coming out of mine but only use 2 the 3rd one is capped. I have 2 needle valves, one for each of my 2 tanks. You will also need a check valve between the needle valves and the bubble counters.

tfreema
If you are planning to use a solenoid controlled by a timer you will have to split the co2 coming out of the solenoid manifold. I have 3 ports coming out of mine but only use 2 the 3rd one is capped. I have 2 needle valves, one for each of my 2 tanks. You will also need a check valve between the needle valves and the bubble counters.

This is all so foreign to me that I have no idea what you are saying, lol! Like, what is a solenoid manifold or a needle valve?? I have actually started watching YouTube videos to learn about the different parts needed and what they do so I can make some educated decisions. Extreme novice just starting to learn here.

Letsfish
A pic is worth a 1000 words.
IMG_0016.jpg

tfreema
Now that doesn't overwhelm me one little bit (she says sarcastically, lol). Seriously, I am a visual person so that actually does help.

I still need a few more hours on youtube to get some sort of comfort level, but I am really thinking I am going to take the plunge as long as you guys are here to do some hand holding since I don't know what the heck I am doing.

Dave125g
This is all so foreign to me that I have no idea what you are saying, lol! Like, what is a solenoid manifold or a needle valve?? I have actually started watching YouTube videos to learn about the different parts needed and what they do so I can make some educated decisions. Extreme novice just starting to learn here.
Ok picture 1 is the regulator. It screws into the CO2 cylinder (picture 2) picture 3 is the reactor. It chops up the bubbles so the water absorbs it almost completely. The reactor is powered by a 400 GPH power head ,shown in picture 4. Picture 5 is the bubble counter/check valve. This is so you know how much CO2 is dosed in the tank. It will also prevent water from backing up in the system.

I have my reactor and power head in my tank. It can be installed outside the tank like a canister filter. I just think it's safer in the tank. The vals hide the equipment pretty well. I hope this helps.
0517181047f.jpg
0517181047d.jpg
0517181047.jpg
0517181047a.jpg
0517181047c.jpg

Letsfish
My 55-gallon tank has a canister filter so I decided to use an inline co2 atomizer there. Now my 29-gallon has a HOB filter and I turned a $12 Cascade 300 filter into a co2 reactor for that tank.

IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

MatthewContri
Wow only 4 days? I'm running about the same. Are you running it over night? Is there posably a leak?
Actually it was a guage problem, and a very tiny blockage, sorry I misquoted. Mine only runs during the 10 hour frame my lights are on.

Dave125g
Actually it was a guage problem, and a very tiny blockage, sorry I misquoted. Mine only runs during the 10 hour frame my lights are on.
Exactly how long I run my lights and CO2.

My plants seem to be responding well in the last 2 months with the CO2. Here's a few pictures.
0519181155a.jpg
0519181155b.jpg
0519181156.jpg
0519181156a.jpg
0519181156b.jpg
0519181156c.jpg

jenmur
Very nice.
I like the shot of the Val’s! Just floating up here just floating

Dave125g
Very nice.
I like the shot of the Val’s! Just floating up here just floating
Thanks. The vals are great. The 1 is six foot tall. Almost makes me want a taller tank.

jenmur
Thanks. The vals are great. The 1 is six foot tall. Almost makes me want a taller tank.

I know the 150 gallon is taller but it’s only 4’ long. You need a tank that has the height of the 150 but the length of the 125!!

Dave125g
If you look at that 1 sword plant, all the new leaves are taller and wider. The other little sword is gonna get pruned down quite a bit today. Mabee that will encourage new taller growth.

I also checked out ebay. There is a 6 foot led plant light by aquaneat. It's only 80 bucks. That's my next purchase for this tank.

jenmur
Hopefully it does!
Sweet!!

Dave125g
I pruned the amazon sword. Here's some before and after photos.
Capture%2B_2018-05-21-08-11-54-1.jpg
0521180809a.jpg

jenmur
Wow! And I notice some tetras photobombing the plant.

Dave125g
The app shut down on me in the middle of me posting so I screen shot my post. Lol easier then re-writing it.
Capture%2B_2018-06-07-09-37-11.jpg
Capture%2B_2018-06-05-07-36-16-1.jpg

jenmur
Good CO2.

Dave125g
If my plants could talk that's what they'd say.Lol . because the reactor is in the tank ,it has quite a bit of algae growing inside it. I figured since the CO2 cylinder needs to be replaced once a month, I'll take the reactor out and take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

As far as the plants the vals ate growing and propagating like crazy. The Argentina sword is really responding. You can see the older leaves on the bottom how small and short they are. The new post CO2 growth on top is much taller and the leaves are almost twice as large.

Upload failed last post.
0607181645.jpg

jenmur
Yes. The plants have the happy. Hehe.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
KinderScout
  • Question