New Co2 System For The 125 Gallon.

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Thought I'd give you guys some information on my new CO2 system. Here is a list of the equipment and cost.
    Aquatek regulator. 79.99 includes bubble counter/check valve.
    Insta max reactor 13.00
    400 GPH Power head. 15.00
    20 ounce paintball CO2 cylinder 25.00
    CO2 refill 10 bucks.
    If anyone has any questions just ask. 0516181301.jpg 0516181301b.jpg 0516181301a.jpg 0516181301d.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Outstanding! That must be really exciting, Dave :)

3. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Very neat! Following in case I decided to do CO2.

4. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

It is. I bet my plants are happy about it.

5. L

Letsfish Well Known Member Member

I put off setting up a CO2 system for almost a year but finally caved in and did it. It took me a little while to get everything dialed in but now I`m good to go. My plant growth is much better but what I am happy about the BBA is almost completely gone and my 29-gallon tank was a mess with it.

6. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

The upfront cost made me hesetent, but to refill the cylinder is only 10 bucks. It should last a few months.
    Yea I'm very happy with the results in the 10 gallon. I had to do it in the 125.

7. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Sports Authority will refill that tank for like $3.99 - I have the exact same one. :) How are you injecting the CO2 into the power head? Right now, I'm using a reactor, but I think it's slowing down my Fluval 406 too much and might separate it.

8. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Following to learn. Dare I take the plunge?

And is there a way to set things up on multiple tanks using the same equipment??

9. TexasGuppy

Yes, you can feed multiple tanks by splitting the tube.

10. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Also following to learn. Well done Dave!

11. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

Following! Would you use the same equipment for a smaller tank (other than the powerhead, I assume I would want something much smaller for my 29 gallon)? What lights are you running on your tank? And ferts?

12. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I have the CO2 line going right into the reactor.
    You can use the same regulator and cylinder, but you may want a smaller reactor or difuser in a smaller tank. I only use seachem root tabs. Most of my plants are root feeders. I have a 4 foot florescent light bar with a single 32 watt 6500 k bulb. And 2 5000 k bulbs on either side. 0124180604-1.jpg

13. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Is the CO2 running 24/7? Or does it turn off at some point?

14. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

I agree, good job sir. Looks like you probably didn't even need a tank adaptor/diffuser adaptor either! : ) Yeah instead of $10-12 per refill, you can also check out and see if you have some hopefully local beverage/beer vendor/distributors, as for about 5 minutes of your time, they can refill usually up to a 5 lb. canister of CO2 for about $2-3. And sometimes bigger! There's a beer keg place that has an overabundance of CO2 and they refill mine for about $3. Word to the wise, I used to be on a paintball team. And Tippman is old school and very reliable, but do be sure to keep a very close eye on your tank's O-ring. I've had a few actually snap right off during removal and insertion on Tippman tanks.

15. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

It is suppose to turn off with the lights. That's what the selonoid does. I have it plugged in to the timer. You don't want to run it with the lights out. Plants don't use CO2 during lights out.
    Thanks. I will look into a more cost effective option to refill. I am kind of limited on places to get this refilled. I found 2 refill places near me.

16. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I mounted the tank on the wall. I built a small shelf and used an old belt to secure it. Here is a shot of the tank too. 0516181919.jpg 0516181858-1.jpg

17. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

@Dave125g. Ah ok. That makes sense.
    Belt: you shall not move tank!!

18. MatthewContri

MatthewContri New Member Member

How may BPS are you running with that 20oz? I am running a 24oz with 4 bps and the co2 lasted 4 days.

19. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Wow only 4 days? I'm running about the same. Are you running it over night? Is there posably a leak?

20. TexasGuppy

I'd say leak. I run my 24oz 7 hours a day 3bps and it lasts at least 3-4 weeks.