New Clown Pleco

oxeyedaisy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just thought I would put a pic of my new Clown Pleco up because he is very cute!. He is less than an inch at the moment so I have called him Piccolo (small in italian).

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love Clown Plecos! They need a bit of wood to chew on and love veggies too! They can get much better than that
Carol

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Awesome fish! I was between a clown pleco and a bristlenose and went with the BN. It was a hard choice though.

oxeyedaisy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yer I like Bristle Noses but they get a bit bigger and I only have a small tank so that made the choice for me really.

I put some cucumber in today, and i haven't seen him on it yet but then I don't see him very much, too busy hiding in the coconut house I made for him.

I have some sweet potato to go in, but does anybody know if im supposed to cook it first?.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I imagine the sweet potato should be raw. It may take a few feedings before he figures out veggies are food
Carol

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love the name, and your right he is cute.

dking271

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Clown Pleco loves yams and zucchini. Your sweet potato should be fed uncooked or slightly blanched. Be prepared, when my Clown eats Yams, her poop is white. They are cool little Pleco's, but not really good algae eaters.

oxeyedaisy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry probably being really dim!, but what on earth is a yam?, maybe we don't get them in the UK cos I never heard of one before.

I noticed my plecs poo changes colour depending what I feed him/her (if you can tell from looking at the picture what sex it is, feel free to enlighten me?!).

I fed him cucumber and his poo turned cucumber coloured, lol!.

Thank you Anelie for the compliment, I put quite a lot of thought into trying to think of a name for my clown plec. I still haven't come up with names the five tetra's or the synodontis, I just call them fishkins, sad I know!.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Although Yams and sweet potatoes are really two different vegetables, in the US they mean the same thing. Does sweet potatoe sound familiar?
carol

oxeyedaisy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahhh!, now I understand, thank you Butterfly!.

I put sweet potato in yesterday so i will see how that goes.

Sorry to change the subject but I have a new problem thismorning, white spot is back!.

Noticed one of my tetra's has it thismorning so I can only asume that the new Clown Plec brought it in with him?, as the Synodontis and four female tetra's have been in there for three weeks with no sign. Or could it have taken this long to show up?.

I have put the WS3 in thismorning (half dose because of plec and syno), any help on what to do next to try and save my little fishies!?.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Oxeyedaisy,

Beautiful Pleco! Thanks for sharing him with us.

As for White Spot, does the fish appear to be sprinkled with salt? If so, (also called ICH),
raise the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two weeks. Warmer water requires more oxygen so an air stone/supply line would be good if you think you don't have enough surface water movement. Leave the temperature raised for a full two weeks even if the fish appear to be ICh free. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate.

Note: Ich may appear worse before it gets better.

I'm not familiar with WS3. If your fish does indeed have ICH, then the above treatment should be all that is needed. I don't recommend medications for ICH but only as a last resort.

If you think your fish have a fungus...we'll have to get more help on that.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

I highly recommend Quarantine for any new fish that you want to add to your main tank.

Ken

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
congrats on the new clown, I love mine. Hope you get your spot problem sorted out!

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
how big is your tank?

i have a 20 gallon high, you think thats enough for one?

also, how long should i wait until i add a clown pleco, i am almost done with my cycle...

what do you feed your CP?

sry for all the questions, i was really interested in either CP or BN =]

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would wait until the tank is done cycling for sure, but after that I don't see any problems. I put mine in right after the cycle was finished and he's done fine. Definatley put some driftwood in the tank if you're getting a clown as mine munches on his all the time. I drop an algae wafer in near the wood he hides on every night or two, if you get a really small one he probably won't eat a whole wafer so you'd need to clean it out the next morning. And ya, drop it in at night. To mix up their diet most people drop in occasional zucchini or sweet potato, sometimes lettuce. I haven't had much luck getting mine to eat any veggies, but I understand sometimes it takes a while before they will.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
awesome, i plan on getting 1 CP and 1 BN for my tank =] thnx a lot

when you feed them veges, can you tell me how to set it up? this will be my first pleco

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's a cool looking Pleco I actually just posted a post asking about rare Plecos.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I probably wouldn't recommend 2 plecos in a 20 gallon tank. While they're not particularly big, I think most people on here would recommend against it as they can get quite territorial with each other, despite their generally peaceful nature. As for feeding them veggies, slice off a piece and weight it down with something that won't be toxic to the fish, like a stone from the tank, or buy a veggie clip. Put it in just before lights out then take out what's left the next morning, as most plecos are only likely to eat during the night.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads