New Clown Pleco

xoelenore

So I got a brand new little guy today. He hasn't done much exploring, mostly hiding the whole day. Is he okay? Should I be worried or are they a little shy for a bit? Thanks!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Almost all fish are shy at first, give him at least a week to settle in before you worry about anything

mdjrnc

I've had a clown plec for almost a year now and still almost never see him. If you give him good caves and cover made of wood he will almost never come out except for at night or when a pellet is in front of their cave. Also you need wood in your tank for their digestive tract so make sure you have some drift wood.

OP
xoelenore

xoelenore

mdjrnc said:
I've had a clown plec for almost a year now and still almost never see him. If you give him good caves and cover made of wood he will almost never come out except for at night or when a pellet is in front of their cave. Also you need wood in your tank for their digestive tract so make sure you have some drift wood.
I have driftwood, do they like any kind of veggie? I have a snail in there with him that I give cucumbers sometimes

mdjrnc

xoelenore said:
I have driftwood, do they like any kind of veggie? I have a snail in there with him that I give cucumbers sometimes
In my experience he really will not est any veggies. My bristle nose love cucumber that is softly boiled but he will go no where near it. He prefers the hikarI algae wafers. I feed tons of frozen foods and stuff like that as well and he never has an issue. He is super chubby. I'll post a pic of I can find him

Lol barely found his little head. Just changed the scape to more of a pleco scape so he is moving past few days. Definantly want tons if caves and cover for these guys. You will see them more with the more cover you have in my experience because they are more comfortable to come out.
0659fe949b21ba6106b94b93f7278ee1.jpg
5bed1e9a2819660e544c7a1ff074997b.jpg

OP
xoelenore

xoelenore

mdjrnc said:
Lol barely found his little head. Just changed the scape to more of a pleco scape so he is moving past few days. Definantly want tons if caves and cover for these guys. You will see them more with the more cover you have in my experience because they are more comfortable to come out.
0659fe949b21ba6106b94b93f7278ee1.jpg
5bed1e9a2819660e544c7a1ff074997b.jpg
I will keep this in mind and get a couple more pieces of driftwood and maybe a little rock cave. I want him to be a happy fish. I also have to think of a name..

mdjrnc

xoelenore said:
I will keep this in mind and get a couple more pieces of driftwood and maybe a little rock cave. I want him to be a happy fish. I also have to think of a name..
Haha I absolutely love clown plecos and plecos in general. I am making that tank into a sort of catfish heaven and then going to remove everything in there currently that isn't a catfish and get some Amazon leaf fish, half beaks, and some other small fish and do a wildly oddball south American tank.

OP
xoelenore

xoelenore

mdjrnc said:
Haha I absolutely love clown plecos and plecos in general. I am making that tank into a sort of catfish heaven and then going to remove everything in there currently that isn't a catfish and get some Amazon leaf fish, half beaks, and some other small fish and do a wildly oddball south American tank.
That's a super good idea actually. That is going to be a cool tank. Would you want any big guys ever, like just common plecos?

mdjrnc

xoelenore said:
That's a super good idea actually. That is going to be a cool tank. Would you want any big guys ever, like just common plecos?
I would do those only if I did a pond type of deal. If I had a massive tank I would do a much more ornate pleco array. Green phantom plecos and royals and stuff like that. I really love the white and black plecos and am trying to get my ph all set and right to get a few species of them. Maybe king tigers, leapard frog plecos, and others like that.

OP
xoelenore

xoelenore

mdjrnc said:
I would do those only if I did a pond type of deal. If I had a massive tank I would do a much more ornate pleco array. Green phantom plecos and royals and stuff like that. I really love the white and black plecos and am trying to get my ph all set and right to get a few species of them. Maybe king tigers, leapard frog plecos, and others like that.
Can African dwarf frogs get along with plecos?

mdjrnc

xoelenore said:
Can African dwarf frogs get along with plecos?
I don't see why they couldn't. If anything the pleco would just chase the frog out of its territory which could lead to damage on the frog but I'm not sure.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
A clown pleco would be fine with one, they don't have the temper a lot of others do

OP
xoelenore

xoelenore

nikm128 said:
A clown pleco would be fine with one, they don't have the temper a lot of others do
I would love to have a dwarf frog someday in a tank, they don't get huge and they are kind of a neat addition

mdjrnc

xoelenore said:
I would love to have a dwarf frog someday in a tank, they don't get huge and they are kind of a neat addition
I agree. The dwarf frogs are cool. You can also keep them in a little fish bowl and just feed em once a day and pretty much keep them like a betta. They are pretty funny to watch

OP
xoelenore

xoelenore

DoubleDutch said:
Clowns need protein as well
Would bloodworms or brine shrimp work?

mdjrnc said:
I agree. The dwarf frogs are cool. You can also keep them in a little fish bowl and just feed em once a day and pretty much keep them like a betta. They are pretty funny to watch
I honestly don't know much about them. Are they territorial?

mdjrnc

xoelenore said:
Would bloodworms or brine shrimp work?

I honestly don't know much about them. Are they territorial?
I wouldn't say territorial. They are pretty blind and hunt off smell and movements. So anything small that moves near them is getting bitten for the most part.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
mdjrnc said:
I wouldn't say territorial. They are pretty blind and hunt off smell and movements. So anything small that moves near them is getting bitten for the most part.
Are you sure they are pretty blind ?

mdjrnc

DoubleDutch said:
Are you sure they are pretty blind ?
I am pretty sure I have read they are pretty blind. As well as the few that I have seem to be pretty blind and not see much other than movements.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
mdjrnc said:
I am pretty sure I have read they are pretty blind. As well as the few that I have seem to be pretty blind and not see much other than movements.
Never read of heared that.

New Threads