New Clown Pleco Wont Eat Wafers

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's likely just stress. Lots of fish won't eat for several days or even a week after moving in

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine have never liked wafers much, they like meatier flakes and pellets, and of course driftwood.

Sergeant Pepper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have had clown plecos for a long while. They never go for any wafers. Clown Plecos are shy and not really outgoing. They mainly eat majority off the driftwood. SOMETIMES they've been seen on shrimp pellets and they tend to like the stem ends off of Zucchini. They love wood.

NickAu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try feeding it some veggies instead of pellets.

This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Peas (deshelled)
Sweet Potato
Green Beans
Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Broad Beans
Broccoli/Stalk
Butternut Squash+ other squash
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Cauliflower/Stalk
Carrot
Coconut
Grapes
Kale/Collard Greens
Kiwi Fruit
Lettuce
Lima Beans
Mango
Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
Papaya
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Sprouts
Swede
Tomato
Yam

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ones upon a time there was a small wild caught pleco that didn't recognise the food it was given. "what is a wafer"

To be serious : It will have to adapt, don't forget frozen / protein part of the diet as also the need of wood / cellulose for digestion.

As I believe @bizaliz3 stated : Plecos is a name for an enormous variaty of catfish, with all kind of different diets / needs. Some are 100% herbivores, some omnivores at the herbivorious side some at the carnivorious side and a few are mainly carnivorious / pescivorious.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom