New Classroom Tank - 10 Gallon

1. M

Ms.Teacher New Member Member

Setting up our new classroom tank and need advice on making it super interesting for my 6th grade students. I have experience with Guppies but wanted something I don't have to deal with babies and was hoping to incorporate more variety.
    Definitely doing shrimp this time and at least one sucker fish of some type.
    Any suggestions?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

What Are you interested in?

If you want something colorful do Peacock Gudgeons or Betta.

If you want something interesting unique do Shell Dwellers or Dwarf Puffer.

If you want something easy do bettas or invert tank.

If you want schooling fish do Celestrial Pearl Danios or Ember Tetras.

3. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

You could still do guppies, just do all males instead of having males and females.
    You could do fiddler crabs, but they need brackish water and have to be able to come out of the water, so a lot or something similar would be needed

4. Kenny777

I'll list lost some stocking options
    1 Betta
    7 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    3 Dwarf puffer (1m/2f)
    OR
    2 Peacock Gudgeons
    6 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    8 Ember Tetras
    10 Red Cherry Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snails
    OR
    8 Celestrial Pearl Danios
    10 Red Cherry Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snails
    OR
    15 Red Cherry Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    Shell Dwellers (Not sure how much)

5. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

6. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Please don't put 3 dwarf puffers in a 10g. Also those are not easy fish to keep always, fussy eaters and sensitive to water quality, so unless the tank it going to be maintained really well they'll probably not do too great...

7. Kenny777

Yes I agree didnt think about that. Still need to think twice before posting. All of the other ones are optional and ignore the Dwarf Puffer idea :D anyone correct me on my other choices.

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

You said you wanted a "sucker fish". Wasn't sure what you meant by that? Like a pleco or an algae eater? Maybe a catfish? With any of those you need a much larger tank. So for algae eating or a clean up crew, I would stick with nerite snails and amano shrimp. You could do 2 nerites and mystery Snail with whichever fish you decide on. The mysteries get pretty big and are very entertaining. You can get a really pretty color too. Pink, purple, blue, ivory. Lots of options.

You do have to be careful with a betta and shrimp. Bettas sometimes eat them, so you do need to consider that. Usually Amano shrimp are too big to get eaten though.

Just a couple things to consider.

9. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

If you do a betta then you shouldn't have any other fish in the tank so that would severely limit what you could have. Also, as @AllieSten mentioned there aren't any "sucker fish" that would be suitable for a 10 gallon.

10. Floundering_Around

You can most definitely keep a betta in a community tank but shouldn't keep them with other flowy finned fish.
    As for suckers, you can get a small shoal of pygmy cories for the bottom and a betta as the main fish

11. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Pygmy corys tend to occupy the middle of the tank, and will probably bother the betta and become a snack

12. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Pygmy cories need cooler water than bettas and 20 gallons minimum. In this tank size no other fish should be kept with a betta.

13. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

14. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Do what i am doing in my 10-
    8 Normans Lampeyes
    1 American Flagfish or 2 Croaking Gourami(Male/Female, they croak when breeding and are interesting)
    MTS + Pond Snails

15. Floundering_Around

Any temp between 72 and 79 degrees Fahrenheit would be fine to house the two together.
    Also, I have pygmy cories with bettas and they're been fine. My tank is planted and I have a little cave that my bettas like to hide in. Any tank mate really depends on the temperament of your betta anyways

16. R

Uh, cories aren't sucker fish. And I will never recommend keeping a betta with other fish in a 10 gallon, especially in this situation where she doesn't have a backup plan if things go wrong.

17. R

I hope you would never tell someone it's ok to have their betta at 72 degrees.

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

19. Floundering_Around

Oops, 75F. This is what I run my bettas at since I don't use heaters. My tanks run at around 77F without heaters which is fine for all the fish I keep. The reason I don't use heaters is insecurity and my largest tank stays at home with my mom.

Also, I am aware. It was simply a suggestion since they would act as a bottom feeder and most suckers require larger tanks and/or more requirements. Mine don't eat midwater so this is just IME.
    If anything were to happen with stocking issues, she could simply take the fish back to the store or rehome them. This issue could occur, regardless if she was keeping a betta or not since all fish have their own temperaments.

Gouramis could be an option as well but males are just as prone to being moody. If you can get your hands on some Celestial Pearl Danios, Dwarf Emerald Rasboras, or Brigittea Rasboras you could do a school of about twelve.

20. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

My daughter and I just set up her tank, she's entering 6th grade next week (yikes!) and she had a blast putting it together to make it pretty. We need to put a couple of more clippings from my tank but she basically did some interior design in there. I think kids like cute things still and don't necessarily need to be exotic or anything.

If you want to do shrimp, I would do some red cherry shrimp and 4 male guppies. You can get all sorts of pretty males. :)

IMG_7411.JPG IMG_7414.JPG