New Classifieds and Auctions Section

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements/Suggestions' started by Mike, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, I just installed a new feature - online classifieds and auctions. You can get there by going to the "Quick Links" menu above, clicking here: , or by clicking the link in the previous classifieds section towards the bottom of the main forum page.

These auctions/classifieds are hooked into paypal, so when you click to pay it should go to the sellers invoice page/account section so the Buyer can pay for the item. So if you don't have a paypal account you need to get one to use this OR specify in the ad an alternative means of paying for the items.

Please note that I just installed it, so it may be quirky for a little while but we'll fix any issues that crop up.

I think many of us have extra aquarium stuff that we've accumulated over the years and would like to get rid of. Hopefully this will be a win-win for everyone - both buyers and sellers. It's FREE to list your items, so why not try it?

The auctions and classifieds are based on credits. Every time you post an ad you use a credit. Everyone should have 3 credits to start and if you need more right away just PM me and I'll add them for you. I'm working on a script to update everyone to something like 10 credits soon. You may notice that if you request more credits via the auction/classifieds section it may say something like 5 credits for $1 or something. Ignore this - this will be FREE for us all to use. Just PM me for more credits, with how many you think you'll need.

There is a feedback system with this software too that is kinda neat. It tracks both negative and positive feedback. It is vital to keep your buyers happy if you want to be successful selling your stuff. Use the posting option within the ad to post comments and reply to potential buyer inquiries.

Setting up an ad:
    1. Go to the auctions/classifieds page then click "Submit New Ad"

2. Select a sub-category and not a main category for your ad.

3. Select the TYPE of ad you want to run. Fixed Price is for selling items for a fixed price. There is no bidding. Increasing Bids is for auction type ads. You can set a reserved price and if it's not met you don't have to sell.

4. Fill in all the information for the ad - title, description, timeframe, relisting options, etc.

5. Click "Submit New Ad"

For our members located outside of the USA, there isn't a way to add multiple currency types and I'm not sure how it works with Paypal. But there are categories for Canada, Australia, Europe, and India. If we need more I can add them. You'll have to specify how to pay for the items if you don't or can't use paypal. Reiterate in the ad post the amount in your local currency so there is no confusion on price.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
    DISCLAIMER:
    FishLore.com and Staff (administrators and moderators) are not responsible for any payments, problems, issues or disputes among seller and buyers. Please use caution when buying and selling online. FishLore.com is not responsible if your ad does not go as planned. Your ad must not contain any inappropriate or otherwise harmful content, products or material. Members violating any of FishLore.com's forum rules or classifieds rules will be banned and further action may be taken if needed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. OP
    OP
    Mike

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Also, please contact me if there are buyers/sellers that are not abiding by the rules or that need to be looked into.

Thanks,
    Mike

3. OP
    OP
    Mike

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Add a "How Do I" section for the classifieds/auctions here: - I'll be adding "how do I" posts on the the auctions and classifieds section here.

and an issues log here: - hopefully we won't need this, but just in case we can track any issues here.

4. COBettaCouple

COBettaCoupleFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    cool

the cool new features just keep coming! ;D

5. OP
    OP
    Mike

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think this is the coolest one yet. The question now is, will anyone use it?

6. Gwenz

GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I might do i some point. My mum has paypal so won't mind me using it if i ask nicely. ;) But if you can't change the curency to Pounds for us in the UK, isn't that going to be a bit confusing?

Gwenz

7. OP
    OP
    Mike

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm not sure how confusing it is, but I think PayPal can do cross-currency purchases... Read it here: https://www.paypal.com/eBay/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_intro-outside

I don't know exactly how it works when purchasing since I've not bought anything via paypal in another currency besides Dollars.

It'd be great if anyone has already done this to let us know more about it...???

8. Gwenz

Ratings:
    +3
    yes. I have once bought a game online that was $18 dollars or something and we just had to pay £11 via paypal, but what if i wanted to sell something, how would i know how much to sell it for if we have to put it in $. :;sh

Gwenz

9. OP
    OP
    Mike

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ah, I see - you could use a currency converter tool such as this:

10. Gwenz

Ratings:
    +3
    ok thanks mike. IMO tho, thats just going to confuse people maybe. Great feature tho.

Gwenz

11. COBettaCouple

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    i think the British Pound Sterling runs about 2 US Dollars on average? :confused:

12. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    All you've got to do is put in the right amount in the proper currency, and Paypal will make the change for you.
    For example, if someone from the UK were buying the necklace and earring set in my auction (hint hint ), and won the auction for $18, they would just go on Paypal, enter $18, make sure the currency is set for US dollars, and Paypal will do the rest. The buyer's bank account or credit card would be charged the nine pounds or whatever, and I would receive the $18.

13. Gwenz

Ratings:
    +3
    yea i understand that bit.

Not trying to confuse anyone, but maybe im just confusing myself, but what im wondering if say someone from the UK wanted to SELL something. Then we'd have to convert the price and things in $ to let people know how much we're selling for, then how would we get the money from someone if its in $'s? ???

sorry if im just confusing people! :;sh

Gwenz

14. sirdarksol

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    My opinion in this matter is for you to set the price in British Pounds, or Euros, or Canadian Dollars (depending on location), and let the buyer determine how much it will be. This is how it works on eBay, and it's worked fine for me in the past. There's nothing wrong with making the buyer do a little work.
    That way, they know what to put on the Paypal payment. It's easier for the buyer to estimate how much they are going to end up paying (by multiplying Pounds by two to get a basic idea of dollars) than to try to estimate the actual change.

15. COBettaCouple

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    yea, posting a price in £s is no problem i think.

16. OP
    OP
    Mike

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The system uses the dollar sign ($), but I think as long as you specify within the ad the actual denomination you're wanting for payment, you'd be good to go, right?

For example, if you wanted to sell something for 20 £ you'd setup your ad and plug in 20 on the amount box(es) and then specify in the description that you're wanting pounds instead of dollars. That way theres no confusion.

17. Gwenz

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks everyone! I get it now! ;D

Gwenz :;sl

18. COBettaCouple

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    good.. there will be a test on it in school tomz. ;)

19. sirdarksol

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    And the "practical application" portion of the test will be to bid on one of the auctions. AHEM... ;);)