New cichlid laying on bottom

Emy

I got a sapphire cichlids in the mail yesterday along with 3 other cichlids and put them in a 55 gallon quarantine tank. The fish was acting normal and eating last night and did not appear to have any health concerns (1 other fish did appear to have ich). I started the tank on some Paraguard and the fish with ick is already showing improvement. I found the sapphire cichlid this morning laying on the bottom gasping. It’s pretty much always laying on the bottom, sometimes it will adjust itself if it starts to lay sideways. I checked water parameters on my 2+ years cycled tank and came up with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate and 8.0 ph. It has a 265 gph canister filter. The tank previously housed goldfish with no issues. I proceeded to do a 75% water change. Temperature is 80 degrees and all the other cichlids appear to be swimming around fine. I was soooo looking forward to the sapphire cichlid the most, I don’t want him to die… I probably won’t be able to get him replaced since it’s been like 12 hours.

strobukm

How did you acclimate them? Did you drip acclimate or add them directly to the quarantine tank?

Emy

How did you acclimate them? Did you drip acclimate or add them directly to the quarantine tank?
I temperature acclimated them, then added straight to the tank since they had been in shipment for 3 days.

A201

What other variety of Cichlids, besides the Saphire, were added to the tank?
Cichlids sometimes are pretty rough on each other. A lot of aggression transpires unseen at night that can result in unexpected injury even death.

Emy

What other variety of Cichlids, besides the Saphire, were added to the tank?
Cichlids sometimes are pretty rough on each other. A lot of aggression transpires unseen at night that can result in unexpected injury even death.
Red cap lethrinops, red top lwanda peacock, and usisya flavescent peacock. All are 2in or less males. Within the hour the sapphire cichlid died :( I still want to figure out why!

MacZ

There is sadly no way finding out in hindsight. There is always a good chance of fish not surviving transport and dyeing soon after arrival. At least cup acclimation is advised to use.
I would just tick this case off as a usual loss after shipment.

A201

Really a very quality group of fish. Shame the Saphire died.
Probably no way to positively identify the cause of death.
Write it off as a shipping fatality.

Emy

There is sadly no way finding out in hindsight. There is always a good chance of fish not surviving transport and dyeing soon after arrival. At least cup acclimation is advised to use.
I would just tick this case off as a usual loss after shipment.
Thank you so much for your help! I’m farely New to the cichlid world and fish shipping. One thing I have found is they are a very expensive mistake when they die! That’s why I have done tons of research to ensure they don’t die due to my lack of knowledge. Hopefully the company will replace it. Have a good day!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
2 3
Replies
Views
RareFeeshCollector
Replies
Views
Jemba
Replies