new Chiclids don't swim alot, upset

plecoman123
Today I got a rainbow shark and 2 new chidlids I don't know the species of these fish but starts with an a and is yellow, and all they do is swim on the bottom and barely move? Why don't they swim they are sorta fat and not a swim type fish, can they swim if u put other fish that Move a lot like a tetra?

They are aurtatus chilids*

chrisb01
What's the size of the shark?
What's the size of the cichlids?
How about a pic? This will help us help you id the cichlids.

Aquarist
Good morning,

As long as you acclimated the fish properly, the fish should start swimming around before long. Give them time to adapt to their new environment. Some fish are very shy and may take a few days to a week or more to feel comfortable.

Acclimation, check out the video close to the bottom of the page in the link below:
https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm

Best wishes!

Ken

josh40996
Auratus cichlids are very aggressive and need to be in a mbuna Cichlid only tank. Do you have any rocks and caves? Since mbuna cichlids are rock dwellers, they need huge amounts of rock work to make them feel comfortable. My advice, get that shark out, or the cichlids. If you keep the cichlids, you can only get mbuna cichlids. But at first, your fish will keep to them selfs and in the first week-month, they will be making their territory, and until everyone knows where he/she lives, he will stay at the bottom. Good Luck.

gourami88
Yes, the cichlid/shark mix is not going to work. One has to go unfortunately. And as has already been said, the cichlids like lots of rock work and caves to feel comfortable. It has been my experience with fish that the more places you provide for them to hide and feel secure the more comfortable they feel and the more active and out-and-about they will be.

plecoman123
So I can't buy more of that species of chidlids, I only got 2 and nothing else besides shrimp and a rubberlipped pleco that's it

gourami88
You could possibly have more depending on your tank size.

Girlsbeforefish
IMO, if its your 30 gallon, it isn't sufficient for a mbuna set-up. They grow way to large for that. Btw, your shrimp will be a snack in no time if you keep the cichlids.

gourami88
A 30 gallon is WAY too small. And yes, the shrimp will simply be snacks.

plecoman123
But my shrimp are as big as the chichlids!?

gourami88

For now...but they won't be.

Jaysee
shrimp molt, at which point they are completely volnerable.

jerilovesfrogs

lol, what kind of shrimp are as big as cichlids? and I understand they're juvis...but still okey:

Girlsbeforefish
lol, what kind of shrimp are as big as cichlids? and I understand they're juvis...but still
That's what I was thinking! I came to the conclusion the cichlids were 1 inch long. (conclusion not justified by reasons. just my guess lol)

plecoman123
They are around 1.5 inches long

jerilovesfrogs
teeny tiny huh. well a little bigger than shrimp, but still very small.

plecoman123
ya they already get picked on but my shrimp are hiding masters, been in that tank for 6 months now

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LynnwoodFishDad
Replies
Views
RedLoredAmazon
Replies
Views
Peacefantasy
Replies
Views