New cherry shrimp death

michaelsf90

I have a small 20 litre aquarium with just cherry shrimp in. Planted. Six months old. I lost two shrimp a month or two ago. Through help on here I put it down to low gh. So now I use salty shrimp gh+ to raise gh to 7. Ph is 7.6. Kh is 0 or 1. Now I have 8 remaining of my original 10. And then I bought 3 at weekend. Which I tried to get 3 with no saddles as I think all 8 I have are female. That was saturday. Drip acclimatised them over a couple of hours. This morning one is dead. I havent tested the water. At the minute tho we are experiencing a heatwave. Temps are 27C in the day. Could it be the temp? Or is it the low kh? I've been adding in some mineral junkies every other day to give them some calcium. Its just frustrating. Il check if I have 10 alive shrimp tonight. Hopefully all the others are alive

MarkMurphy

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, water parameters ok, temperature ok, i did have 10, now i have 2.

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

I know gh is important its if kh is important. I know buffering and higher kh means less ph swing but if I raise kh my ph goes to 8. I'm hoping it was a weaker shrimp. The other 2 died because of failed molts. They had the white ring

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

No mater what the water is. Shrimp are very fragile. You usually have deaths with new shrimp. Just happens. Once the survivors acclimate they are good but adding new will still have deaths. My tank is 2+yrs old and if I add new I still will have deaths.

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

And people say cherry shrimp are hardy and easy to care for

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Once established they are :).

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

Even after drip acclimatising? For some reason cherry shrimp arent easy to find round here and arent cheap either. I know it's a male that died as well so I'm hoping a one of the other two is male and survived

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I know gh is important its if kh is important. I know buffering and higher kh means less ph swing but if I raise kh my ph goes to 8. I'm hoping it was a weaker shrimp. The other 2 died because of failed molts. They had the white ring

I have several colonies of shrimp thriving in 8.2 pH water.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

I find it to be hit or miss. My bloody mary colony started with an order of 30 - didn't lose a single shrimp, have well over 1,000 now. Blue dream starting colony of 20 - lost about half of them in first 2 days, slowly rebounding now. Just started a zebra babaulti colony this past week and had zero casualties out of 20. Once they establish though, be ready, they can reproduce like no one's business!

Water parameters are pretty flexible with neos, you could try to add some supplemental food to help them out, mine go absolutely crazy for peas, zucchini and kale. Helps keep them healthy and have better molts.

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

86 ssinit Another shrimp death this morning. Havent had chance to see but I think it's a new one. It's been five days since they were put in? Is this normal or could it be the fact wer experiencing a serious heatwave? Temps arent coming below 26 degrees C. Il double check it's a new one. I'm considering instead of trying to breed the cherries. Leave the nine that are in and put two amano in as well. Its only a 20 litre tank. Or do amanos need totally different parameters?

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

86 ssinit Another shrimp death this morning. Havent had chance to see but I think it's a new one. It's been five days since they were put in? Is this normal or could it be the fact wer experiencing a serious heatwave? Temps arent coming below 26 degrees C. Il double check it's a new one. I'm considering instead of trying to breed the cherries. Leave the nine that are in and put two amano in as well. Its only a 20 litre tank. Or do amanos need totally different parameters?
  • While 26° C is a little higher than ideal, it certainly shouldn't cause shrimp deaths.
  • Amano and neos can do just fine in the same tank, but I wouldn't give up on the neos just yet.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

20 litres is a bit small for amanos

If your tank wasn't running established and cycled for several months before you added the shrimp then the deaths are pretty normal

KH isn't as important for cherries but it should be at least 2 degrees. 0-1 is a bit low. And the minimum GH is 6 so I've learned to be more careful. 8-10 would be a lot better than 7.

PH 8 is fine for cherries. They don't have much of a preference as long as it isn't below 6 or something crazy like 9

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question