New Cherry Barbs

hannahmbatts

Hi everyone :)

I bought 4 cherry barbs two days ago for my 20 gallon tank. I’m already in love with them! I was planning on giving them a week or two before I add another 4/5 cherry barbs to the tank. Is this too much/too little time? Once I finish stocking the cherry barbs my next move is to add some cories. I added some pictures of my cherry barbs and a pic of my honey gourami :)

Attachments

AquaticQueen

I don't think it would be overstocking, just consider getting a couple less barbs and getting the honey gourami a partner (make sure it is the opposite gender) They are very social.

hannahmbatts

AquaticQueen said:
I don't think it would be overstocking, just consider getting a couple less barbs and getting the honey gourami a partner (make sure it is the opposite gender) They are very social.
Ok, great! Should I wait the full week before adding more cherry barbs or add them sooner/later? And this might be a dumb question but- would it matter if I bought another honey from a different LFS than the one in the tank? I don’t know if that matters, because I hear a lot about how there’s many variations of honeys in size/coloring so I don’t know if that will affect their temperament. I originally had 3 honeys, but unfortunately lost two to a parasite infection so I don’t want to buy from the same tank again.

thecornman

Love Cherry Barbs! Super entertaining hardy fish. I have a group of 8 of them in my 20 gallon I set up a couple months ago and spend hours watching them swim around and play their games with each other. I don't see any problem adding another 4 of them to your tank in another week or two. Try to be sure your females out number you males though otherwise the males will pile up on the females and won't leave them alone. It is easy to tell which is which with the males being a brighter red and the females being more of a brown color.

AquaticQueen

hannahmbatts said:
Ok, great! Should I wait the full week before adding more cherry barbs or add them sooner/later? And this might be a dumb question but- would it matter if I bought another honey from a different LFS than the one in the tank? I don’t know if that matters, because I hear a lot about how there’s many variations of honeys in size/coloring so I don’t know if that will affect their temperament. I originally had 3 honeys, but unfortunately lost two to a parasite infection so I don’t want to buy from the same tank again.
Waiting a week would be fine.

It will be fine to buy another honey from a different store. My only concern is that it could possibly be diseased or something and with no quarantine tank, you risk infecting the entire tank, but then, you risk infecting the tank whenever you add new fish, so I say go for it.
Just make sure the honey is the same species of gourami.

hannahmbatts

thecornman said:
Love Cherry Barbs! Super entertaining hardy fish. I have a group of 8 of them in my 20 gallon I set up a couple months ago and spend hours watching them swim around and play their games with each other. I don't see any problem adding another 4 of them to your tank in another week or two. Try to be sure your females out number you males though otherwise the males will pile up on the females and won't leave them alone. It is easy to tell which is which with the males being a brighter red and the females being more of a brown color.
Perfect thank you!! Right now I have 2 males and 2 females so I’ll try to get more females :)

Basil

I also love my cherry barbs. I’ve stocked a tank and then dewormed using levamisole for the recommended two rounds and then with prazipro. So maybe think about doing something like that after you finish stocking.

hannahmbatts

Basil said:
I also love my cherry barbs. I’ve stocked a tank and then dewormed using levamisole for the recommended two rounds and then with prazipro. So maybe think about doing something like that after you finish stocking.
I’m pretty new to all of this so I’ve never heard of deworming... is this a necessary step?

Basil

hannahmbatts said:
I’m pretty new to all of this so I’ve never heard of deworming... is this a necessary step?
I was stocking loaches who are known for “loach skinny disease” which is caused by internal parasites.
I’ve also read about members who have had camallanus worm outbreaks well after a quarantine period. So I do deworm as a prophylactic measure.
But some say no treatment unless you see a problem. So it’s something you have to decide.

hannahmbatts

Basil said:
I was stocking loaches who are known for “loach skinny disease” which is caused by internal parasites.
I’ve also read about members who have had camallanus worm outbreaks well after a quarantine period. So I do deworm as a prophylactic measure.
But some say no treatment unless you see a problem. So it’s something you have to decide.
Ohhh ok thank you for explaining. That is something I’ll probably hold off on because I’ve already had to treat the tank for a parasite, and I frequently need to use pH increase because my tap water is acidic. So I don’t want to add too many “treatments” to the tank until I make sure the fish are comfortable and healthy.

OJteddy0824

Beautiful combo!

dwc13

You really can't go wrong with Honey Gouramis, Cherry Barbs, or Julii Corydoras. All are great community fish.

hannahmbatts

hannahmbatts

hannahmbatts

AquaticQueen said:
Waiting a week would be fine.

It will be fine to buy another honey from a different store. My only concern is that it could possibly be diseased or something and with no quarantine tank, you risk infecting the entire tank, but then, you risk infecting the tank whenever you add new fish, so I say go for it.
Just make sure the honey is the same species of gourami.
Good to know, thank you! When I add the rest of my cherry barbs I’ll pick up another honey :)

Top Bottom