New Cherries!!

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Shine, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

I just went to the local aquarium society spring auction looking for some java moss (because none of the stores in the area carry it, and managed to come home with RCS! along with a bunch of other plants, and extra filters and stuff (yes MTS is taking over). The bag held 15 cherries and I got it for 12$... which I figure is pretty good given that the only lfs that carries them charges 4.99 apiece! :eek:

So I spent the next several hours prepping another tank for the cherries

pics coming in a bit.... hope I can keep them alive! ;D

2. OP
    OP
    Shine

I'll get a pic of the tank eventually... right now all the ones I've got have a giant clump of java moss taking up space... have to find something to attach it to! :)

Attached Files:

3. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

Shine that is a very good price. Lucky.

4. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Awesome luck! Wish I could get some luck like that! :;hf

5. OP
    OP
    Shine

thanks--have to say that I am moderately thrilled! :;balloons

Question though... the tank has tons of plants (anubius minima, java moss, java fern, and some vallesenana american) do you think that is enough to deal with the tiny bioload of 15 RCS given that the tank was just set up today... or should I 'steal' some filter media from one of my bigger tanks? :;dk

plus the shrimp don't produce much ammonia... am I going to need fertilizers to keep the plants healthy? (haven't had this prob with the other planted tanks cause of the goldfish)

6. benjaminBreaker

Hmm...I think it would be okay. I do fish in cycles all the time, it isn't suggested, but I'm a risky person. Anyway, I believe that the plants would take care of the ammonia your cherries produce. I don't recall if you mentioned your tank's size anywhere...what size is your tank?

Also, if you are worried about your plants not getting enough fertilizers, you could always put some extra food in so it can rot at the bottom and make ammonia. :)

7. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

One ten gallon tank (with a decent filter) could hold about 150 cherry shrimp!

SO in my opinion I doubt that the 12 shrimp would raise ammonia quickly enough to cause enough toxicity... AND because your tank is planted once the water level hits 2ppm (or .2 ppm I can't recall) the plants will start consuming the ammonia...

What I would watch out for is feeding... One flake is enough for the 12 cherries for 2 days. Crumble it (not to a powder just smaller) and then drop it they are scavengers and insticntually want to find their food.

Also make sure there is no copper in the tank or in the food or in the fertilizers (if any) I'm not sure myself but I have read on countless occasions that even in trace amounts it may be harmful to the shrimp.

8. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

One thing I have read and been told over and over with cherries is that generally they're hardy, but they need to go in an established tank, despite only having a tiny bioload. I've only just started keeping them, so I can't say from personal experience.

If I were you, I'd transfer a bit of old filter media just to be on the safe side ;) Don't want to turn your awesome bargain into a waste of money and a waste of poor little cherry shrimp lives.

Oh, I've found that mine loooooooooooove a tiny bit of frozen pea, as I feed it to my baby fish sometimes and I always see the cherries going mad scavenging on the bits of pea that drop to the gravel. They don't need to be feed much at all though, as ilikefish says, otherwise your ammonia will definetly go up.

9. OP
    OP
    Shine

Did I forget to say the size? lol--must have been the excitement

Its a 5 gallon, with sponge filter and heater. I have to get a hood for it though.

10. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I bought 12 cherries for £12- about $14 I guess, nearly 2 years ago. I got mine off ebay :)

I now have a colony of about 30 in my 8G N.brevis fry tank :) They are great little shrimp :)

11. benjaminBreaker

Aww...I want some now. See what you have done, Shine!

12. OP
    OP
    Shine

12 pounds huh? lol--2 years ago that worked out to about 25$ for me, now it would be less ;) Though that is still a great deal given that the current store price around here would have put me out almost 75$

ha ha! benjaminbreaker! MTS is highly contagous; we all know it :p

13. Kunsthure

Kunsthure Well Known Member Member

Take it from me: RCS in an uncycled tank is a disaster waiting to happen. I had even added TSS to the tank and they all died anyway. I'd do whatever you can to get media from your established tanks to the new one or else you'll end up like me--except without having to explain to your 3y/o daughter why you killed all her shrimp. ;)

-Lisa

14. benjaminBreaker

You realize this post is from like...March. First, I'm more than certain her tank would be cycled by now, if it's still up. Second, no way a couple of shrimp are going to destroy themselves in a tank that hasn't been fully cycled. Third, we don't need to be randomly making posts on old threads and bump them up like this.

But while it's up, how's it going, Shine? :)

15. Alexpatrascu

Alexpatrascu New Member Member

Wow, that's kinda expensive....

I got mine(~120) for 35CAD(ship incl).....

16. OP
    OP
    Shine

Ha Ha! I wasn't even watching this thread anymore...its definately been a while! ;)

The 15 cherries had no problems breaking in the new tank on their own that I could tell... not sure how many there are at the moment with all the plant cover; last head count I found 12 of the adults and there are now a bunch of 2 mm babies scuttling around. So I'm rather pleased with how its going! ;D

17. benjaminBreaker

Incredible, pics?

18. c

chumzhujun Valued Member Member

Wow , we are glad that we are in asia, lots of fish farm... 1shrimp is about 1.90 us

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice