New cherries

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Was a little hesitant about getting these 3 cherry shrimp from Petco but TBH they have a great staff over there and everything is always kept in great condition. Just got em home about 15 minutes ago and set up a little drip acclimation system with a gang valve regulator and some airline. Wish me luck these can get me the colony I want!! richie.p I was planning on dripping them for an hour or should I go longer? They are going into a 5.5 gallon so I don't want to run the water down too much and shock them. Thanks for any other tips or insight.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
for 3 shrimp go the hour and see what happens, providing you have both sexes then it should work in a 5.5, also depending on age as to when they breed, put some photos on for us all to see

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
for 3 shrimp go the hour and see what happens, providing you have both sexes then it should work in a 5.5, also depending on age as to when they breed, put some photos on for us all to see
Great thanks! I've done the hour so far i'm gonna let em go another 1/2 hour and then I'll get em into the tank I put a little java moss and some floating plants into the acclimation bucket and they are all in the moss so hoefully I can scoop the moss up and put em in without any issues. Will definitely post some pics when they are in the tank!!

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Woke up to check the new additions and the dull colored one already called it quits. Not sure how I can have 7 very successful tanks goin but I add 3 shrimp and one is dead in less than 24 hours. Here are some pics of the passes on one and a couple pics of the What look to me healthy dark red ones.

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at the dark red its s female they also look a lot older than 5months which is when maturity comes, that said means you would have had a harder time acclitimising them especially in your 5.5g do don't be to disheartened, post a close picture of the two remaining I think they are both female

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
Looking at the dark red its s female they also look a lot older than 5months which is when maturity comes, that said means you would have had a harder time acclitimising them especially in your 5.5 gallon do don't be to disheartened, post a close picture of the two remaining I think they are both female
The first third and fourth pic is of the dull passed shrimp I found and the rest of the pics are of both of the redder ones still kicking around. is it still possible for them to berry or am I going to need more males? Which those were the only three the store had yesterday. Probably shoulda kept to my original plan and waited for warmer weather to order some online.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your going to need a Male I think
At least this way your losses are low and gives you a chance to see what goes on with the others

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
Your going to need a Male I think
At least this way your losses are low and gives you a chance to see what goes on with the others
ok thanks. I'll wait n see what happens with these two and maybe try petco again this week to see if they get another shipment in.

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok something is wrong a second one is belly up already. I even dripped them for 1.5 hours and they were all gettin along ok yesterday. This one also appears perfectly fine. Guess I need to retest this tank... discouraging

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good idea to do retest
The chances are they didn't acclimatise right, I know your looseing them but this is a good test

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have much of a trained eye for diseases but to me the most recent pic appears to be a perfectly healthy one would u agree? or do you see something I don't?

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I removed the last survivor and added it to my bettas 5.5. There is a bit more algae growth and it is a little more established than the cory fry tank so I'll just wait n see what happens. Hopefully it don't turn into an expensive snack :(

jpaquatics

Reaction score
Unfortunately shrimp can be finicky to get acclimated correctly. I’m sure the pet store conditions were also less than ideal for them too which didn’t help. You could try buying a few of each sex when the pet store gets more. Don’t get discouraged, though. This is fairly common to experience when starting with shrimp until you find out how to get them to thrive in your conditions :)

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your best bet is to buy a dozen or more to get yourself a colony up and running. It’s not uncommon for a percentage of deaths. Also you might want to check your water parameters. Sorry for the tough start

New Threads