New Centerpiece Fish Ideas Needed

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I need ideas for a new "centerpiece fish". I am moving my male Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami to my 10 gal and I want something similarly colored, but bigger or able to be kept with 2 more of the same fish.

My tank is 29 gals. Temp is 77-78.

I need peaceful fish as I have Corydoras and Lamb Chop Rasboras.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Bolivian rams?

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    O

Are they mid to top dwelling?

Advertisement

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Mostly middle, sometimes bottom.

5. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Dwarf cichlids are mainly bottom dwellers, but god are they gorgeous. I'd do some kind in there, personally. The honeys are going in the 29, right? They'll give you some mid to top action.

6. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Bolivians are mostly bottom but once in a while they will go to the middle.

7. OP
    OP
    O

I keep going back and forth on keeping them as well. If I could have them and a more colorful fish then I would be happy to keep them. I don't want just yellow and orange fish.
    I tried a Bolivian with my Dwarf and the Bolivian attacked my Dwarf right off the bat.

8. MattS99

Most people will disagree with me, but I'd keep a GBR at 77-78. There's a few more apistos that'd work at that temp with the honeys too. And more colorful.

9. OP
    OP
    O

Would I be overstocked with my other fish and the GBR or Bolivian with the 2 Honey Gouramis?

10. MattS99

What's the rest of your stocking? If I remember, it's 15 cories and 4 lambchops for now, right? I'm including the honeys in my head.

11. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

maybe try some cherry barbs? They stay little and really pretty. Or maybe a dwarf pike? They stay little and rarely eat other fish. They have a ton of personality for such a little fish

12. OP
    OP
    O

Close. It's 15 Pygmy Corys, 6 Sterbai Corys and 4 Lamb Chop Rasboras, plus the 2 Honey's.
    I'd like to add a Bolivian or GBR and to add 2-4 more Lamb Chop Rasboras.
    If that wouldn't work I could return the Lamb Chops and just keep the Honeys and Bolivian or GBR.

13. MattS99

I'd try it myself. If you were really paranoid about it, I'd return the Sterbais before the Lambchops. You'll be having a lot of action on the bottom of your tank.

14. OP
    OP
    O

That's very true. Even now the top is empty 99% of the time. I wish I could find something large that would get along with my other fish and stay towards the top most of the time.

15. OP
    OP
    O

Gourami's are supposed to be mid to top dwellers aren't they?

16. OP
    OP
    O

I'll have to look up the dwarf pike, but I'm really worried about cherry barbs. I've heard many times that they are aggressive.

17. MattS99

I tried that with my 20 long, couldn't find anything either. I ended up rescuing two male guppies because I knew they'd go towards the top, and it's slowly becoming a mistake. The honeys should stay up near the top a lot, mine did. I find them similar to bettas in the way they explore their surroundings.

18. Mike1995

from my personal experience cherry barbs are pretty peaceful. Haven't had any issues

19. Mike1995

you should def check out the pike. They're non aggressive

20. MattS99

Looking for a centerpiece, not a school.

Advertisement