New Canister. Preferred load of media?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by dmmuir, Aug 1, 2014.

1. d

dmmuir Valued Member Member

I just picked up a SunSun 525 canister for my 75.
    It came with bioballs, and ceramic rings. And a bag of carbon.

Other than that is was simply a few white pads.

How do you guys recommend loading this thing?
    There are 4 trays.

I currently have aa emperor 400 that is getting noisy, it will go away.
    It also has a marineland 250 canister, too small to be the only filter.
    I thought about rinsing and cutting the blue filter material around the current canister and putting in one tray to preserve some of the BB.

The instructions with this thing seriously suck.

I had been thinking of this:

1st pass, blue filter material cut from old canister.maybe one of the white filter pads it came with.
    2nd pass, the black bio balls.
    3rd pass the white ceramic rings
    4th and last, the white filter pad and carbon if I decide to run it.... still debating on the carbon thing.

Thoughts?

2. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

3. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

If you have 4 trays I would use two trays for mechanical with the blue pads on the top, and two tray for bio with the white pads on top. The mechanical should be the bottom two trays, and the bio the top two.

I wouldn't use the bio balls at all. They are meant for sumps where they are exposed to the air.They can become clogged up with gunk if you use them in a canister.

If you don't have enough media, I would buy some Seachem Matrix and fill it up with that.

Carbon is up to you. I don't feel like it is necessary. But it does make your water sparkle if you want to add it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. OP
    OP
    d

Just finished hooking up the new SunSun 525 canister.
    I removed the filter media from the marineland 250 magnum and used it in the 2nd tray from the bottom temporarily to help save some BB.
    I was thinking to leave the Emperor 400 BioWheel a couple of weeks to let it build further.

First impressions, there is a LOT of room for media. I need to buy more yet.
    This thing is absolutely SILENT and moves a LOT of water.

I will be getting some Seachem Matrix to replace the bioballs. Carbon, I decided to try it without and see how it goes, I can always add some in the future if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  5. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

dmmuir, here is how I set up my aquatop with only 3 trays:

Aquatop Set up.jpg

6. K

Kareen Valued Member Member

you can use lavarock for boi-media it works good

7. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

I would set the filter as follows
    Stage 1 - Coarse filter pad
    Stage 2 - Fine filter pad
    Stage 3 - Bio balls
    Stage 4 - Ceramic rings

The bio balls should not get clogged with stuff, if you use the correctly fitted and placed mechanical filter pads.

8. OP
    OP
    d

It's currently set up, from first to last stage....

Tray 1. Course and medium filter pads.
    Tray 2. holdover filter pad from old canister and then a medium pad and polishing pad
    Tray 3, ceramic media/bio balls
    Tray 4. polishing pad and a few more bio balls

After some time to build BB I will remove the old filter pad and add some more media . Until then I should be good. I look forward to removing the noisy emperor HOB filter.

9. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

dmmuir, I know how you feel about your emperor 400, my dishwasher is less noisy ;)

I would remove the polishing pad in tray 2 since you have one in tray 4. Best of luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice