New canister filter changout

Darla4022

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello All!
I will be changing my filter from aqua clear 110 x2 on 125 gal tank to a canister filter. can keep the aqua clear filters running and just add the canister without hurting the bb or the fish. My substrate is very thin layer of sand, which I will also be changing out after getting this done, I will need help with that also, but for now I just need to know how to do it without losing bb. I am going to make this tank into a all male peacock tank.
TIA

Attachments

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Darla4022 said:
Hello All!
I will be changing my filter from aqua clear 110 x2 on 125 gal tank to a canister filter. can keep the aqua clear filters running and just add the canister without hurting the bb or the fish. My substrate is very thin layer of sand, which I will also be changing out after getting this done, I will need help with that also, but for now I just need to know how to do it without losing bb. I am going to make this tank into a all male peacock tank.
TIA
Leave the two aqua clear on also for a month or 6 weeks until the canaster filter can have time to build it's own BB.

OP
Darla4022

Darla4022

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Leave the two aqua clear on also for a month or 6 weeks until the canaster filter can have time to build it's own BB.
thank you for your help!
can i keep my fish in there while doing this?

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why take the aqua clear down at all. Slow the rate all the way down and fill them with a large pouch of bio media.

Is it just me or did you notice when the sponge on the 110 gets dirty the right side of the basket starts to float? I can’t stand that.

SanDiego is bang on with his advice. I would use some Seachem Stability in the tank to speed up the bb process in the new canister.

OP
Darla4022

Darla4022

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
!poogs! said:
Why take the aqua clear down at all. Slow the rate all the way down and fill them with a large pouch of bio media.

Is it just me or did you notice when the sponge on the 110 gets dirty the right side of the basket starts to float? I can’t stand that.

SanDiego is bang on with his advice. I would use some Seachem Stability in the tank to speed up the bb process in the new canister.
Im taking the aqua clear filters off and putting them on my new 65 gal tall aquarium as soon as the new canister filter is cycled in my 125 gal.

OP
Darla4022

Darla4022

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Darla4022 said:
Im taking the aqua clear filters off and putting them on my new 65 gal tall aquarium as soon as the new canister filter is cycled in my 125 gal.
[/QU no mine dont do that, float when dirty.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom