New Camera - so thought I would try some new pix/Guess who?

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

The latest here is a new camera and supposedly a better one. I am learning more about photography so I wanted a more talented camera, now I have one that is smarter than me. Thought I would send some new pix.

Rose
    ;)

Attached Files:

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

Great pictures! Love to see your Bettas are as healthy as always ;D

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Beautiful pictures Rose :) What kind of camera is this?

4. RoboDude Member Member

As nice as always!! ;) I have to say, though, I'd love to see some pix of your Ottos as well. I haven't seen them yet!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Nice pictures Rose. Glad to see the "babies" are well.
    Carol

6. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Very nice pics Rose, marty is getting so much bigger ! :)

7. RoboDude Member Member

Yes, I know!!! He's looks way bigger! Beautiful pix!

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

the otos are still quite jumpy as the bettas are still chasing them around quite a bit. If you look down by the airstone in the pix of Marty there is a tiny little mark on the glass hanging vertical. That is Dingbat. He is quite tiny. The two in Marty's tank are babies probably only 3/4" long yet. The ones in the big tank are full-grown but they hide out in the plants. I will see what I can do in the next week or so when the chasing dies down a bit.

9. RoboDude Member Member

OK, then! ;) I think I can see Dingbat a little bit! He's cute!!!

10. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

The camera is a Kodak P880 8 megapixel with digital and video capabilities. It is much smarter than I am so forgive the quality. I am sure things will improve. I had to set it down to 5 megapixels to get a focused shot.

I got a few pix of the otos before bedtime for the bettas. Maybe they were tired but the chasing was quieted and the otos came out for the night so here are a few. Sneezy is the big one in the red gravel in the big tank. They are mostly gold and don't seem to have the "racing stripe" or if they do it is very light. Dopey & Dingbat in the little tank have the dark racing stripe and are much prettier and smaller but also as I said before still babies.

Oh, and yes, Marty is indeed growing and finning out. He is not as big as Noel yet but he is really feeling his oats in a big way, must be in his puberty. :p ;)

here are the pix:

Attached Files:

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Very cute Oto's Rose!! I tried to get two today at my LFS, but they were sold out :(

12. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

They are such sweet fish and when I read on the site dedicated to them that they are caught in the wild by flooding the water with cyanide to slow them down so they could be harvested, I felt so sorry for them. Then the site went on to explain that most LFS feed flake food and they are not equipped to deal with it. So many of them starve to death in the stores because they cannot eat what they are fed. They are so peaceable and cute I don't know who wouldn't fall in love with them. They need company though with other otos or like Butterfly has guppies with her single oto. But they really love having company of their own kind. They don't come out much during the day (unless they have a frisky betta chasing them ;) - naughty bettas) Another thing is they don't eat their food until it goes to pieces so the rule about taking it out of the tank right away has to be ignored. Mine love the veggie rounds from Omega One and Hikari Algae Wafers. (won't touch sinking pellets or flakes) They really love Brown Algae all over the tank so the dirtier the tank looks the better. It took exactly 1 night to get my tanks whipped into shape. They also love driftwood.

I hope you can find some soon and that Mitch doesn't give them as much trouble as Marty does Dopey and Dingbat :D . He is so Naughty! Noel got over it finally - I really think it is mainly curiosity and will wear off.

Rose
    :)

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

LoL Mitch is stingy -- he wouldn't even dream of having oto's in there, lol --
    I am going to put them in my 20 gallon as soon as i find them :( lol

14. beckers4oranges Member Member

wow rose...our darker bettas really look alike...and guess what im buying another one tomorrow!! i love em

those ottos look really cool...ill be getting some soon too!

15. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Another Crowntail? Pictures! Where are you going to put him (I know I sound like a broken record, but he won't be able to go in with Masta or the little green) Surely, not the 1 gallon! ;).

Let us see PICTURES.

Rose

ps glad to hear you like the otos. I am always glad to find homes for them after all they have gone through. I usually have the luck to find the poor underdogs. Otos and Bettas - such a pair. :D

16. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

LoL thats true -- it's their therapy that they can tell each other horror stories about the that's happened to them heheh

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

My betta Scardy doesnt mind my otos at all in fact no fish in my tank doesnt like otos and luckily my lfs feeds them algae wafers everyday and yes isnt that sad how they have to catch them in the wild since they are so fast i read that too when i research them too.
    Very nice pics though

I dont know why but my otos dont eat much of my algae because it covers my whole tank they will only eat it off fake stuff i dont know why so i think i might be getting a bristlenose pleco soon

18. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

if you have algae and are feeding the wafers. Stop at least until they have eaten the algae. They are like other things in a way, the path of least resistance. If the wafers are there, why work so hard for the algae. Try holding back on the wafers for a day or so and they will not suffer as long as there is algae for them to nosh on. It just needs to be the only thing for them to eat so they will get back to work. ;) They love algae, but get spoiled on the veggie or algae wafers if we let them. Get them to work. Also, you may not be giving them a long enough night to do their work. They do their work at night. How long do you leave your lights on? If I leave my lights on more than about 10 hours in a day, it makes them upset because they want to get to work and they feel better doing it in the dark. They get much more done if I leave the lights turned off that extra time. (I used to leave them on 7am - 7pm now it is 8 am to 6 pm and lights out.) The only exception has been when i was able to get pictures of them while the bettas were full from their evening meal. :D

Rose

19. beckers4oranges Member Member

hey rose i bought a new aquarium...and a new betta and some ottos... my betta is huge...youll love him too...hes just a regular betta but he is so beautiful..and my ottos are eating all the alge in the ten gallon as we speak

20. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:)Oh goody, a new bunch of babies to coo over! I love the Bettas and Otos both already I know it. (sight unseen) DO send pictures though!

I know what you mean about the Otos eating the algae LOL. When I brought my first ones home, they made me feel like the worst housekeeper in the world! They "cleaned, cleaned, cleaned" and made me feel like I had never touched anything. It gave me a real inferiority complex for a while. LOL

Good luck and let us know how they are doing!

Rose

Send pictures ! ;)